• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

[track_prep] Mi16 Track Car - Going Back Together!

Jonmurgie

Last night I finally got my 205 back from having some seat rails welded in along with some extra roll cage bracing for my harnesses. Now it's back things are going to move forward so again I'll try to keep things in one place. The 4 week target form getting the engine back seems to have been a tad optimistic but hey, we've all got to have targets to miss!

With the seat rails, the passenger seat has been put back as far as it will go (allowing room for the seat of course) while the drivers seat has been set so I should have the mount around in the middle setting, though there is about 2 inches of movement forward and back should I need it. Just to be on the safe side the bolt tabs on the drivers side have been extended over both sides of the rail so the seat can be moved further back if needs be:

seatrails.jpg

The extra rear bracing on the cage is purely for the harnesses as I was never happy with them being fitted to eyelets off the old rear seatbelt mounts. Ideally the rear straps should be no more than a certain angle (can't remember what it is right now though!) below your shoulders otherwise it can cause problems if you do have an accident:

extracage.jpg

I also got my 4-2-1 manifold back from being repaired... if you recall it had cracked between the 2nd and 3rd pipes so I had a mate who's handy with the welder fix it back up. I also had him weld around the Y piece as mines always blown there, and now it won't! With that done I then wrapped the manifold in heat wrap again, despite what it does to the metal. It does such a good job of keeping the heat out of the engine bay and in the exhaust I'm sticking with it!

manifold.jpg

More updates soon... or you can keep up-to-date on my site: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

Edited by Jonmurgie

smckeown

good stuff, i'm itching to get mine back now as it's in the final stages.

Good idea about lowering the supports, i've recently had mine lowered since it was done. Drove Gav's mini recently with a great low position, and knew it had to be done to mine.

Will the passenger's harness fit on the new cage car ? One either side of the diagonal ?

Kitsune

Doesnt the angle need to be above 45deg?

I've been keeping an eye on the 'wrap' threads and I've noticed you've only wrapped the top end as opposed to all the way down. Is this as far as you're going to wrap it, or did you just run out.....?

dodsworth_gti

i need to get new seat mounts put into mine as the stanard is pooped!!!

Jonmurgie

Sean - Not sure how the passenger harness will fit, but probably one either side... we're just trying to make something work with the OMP cage as the diagonal isn't quite in the middle as it were.

Kits - That's 5m worth used so far... I had thought of wrapping the rest of the manifold but I didn't last time and won't this time either.

Simms - Thanks for the thread, am aware of that as I had actually posted in the thread! I'm personally happy to use the wrap on the manifold and replace it in a years time or whatever for a stainless one. It's a bit of a hope that the manifold is OK after being welded up again (was originally Sean's manifold and he'd had some work done on it before me!)

Sam

Thats exactly what I need to do to mine with the seat rails! Never got round to it :D

Jonmurgie

Got a bit more progress made over the weekend... had wanted to actually get the engine back in the car but decided to go to the Air Tattoo @ Fairford instead :) So here's som progress anyhow:

Here we have the rear engine mount, cleaned and painted and fitted with a BBM Uprated Mount:

rebuild3.jpg

When running a dry sump you have to have a completley sealed block so here Matt @ QEP has measured and fitted some metal plugs to make things neat (these are the oil feeds into the standard block/sump on the front of the block):

rebuild4.jpg

With everything so clean it seems a shame to use dirty nuts/bolts so it's out with the wire brush on the drill and everything gets a quick clean/polish:

rebuild1.jpg

So here's the engine as it currently stands, with the engine mounts and inlet manifold fitted:

rebuild2.jpg

Got a few little bits and pieces to get this week then hopefully get it into the car! More pics and progress here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

Pug_101

looking good Jon.

What are you using to clean the brackets, they look like new :blink:

Cheers

Jonmurgie

Metal things are being de-greased and then sprayed with Hi-Temp Aluminium paint from Halfords... amazing stuff and makes things like new :blink:

Alastairh

Good to see progress.

Engine does looks a work of art.

Banjo

Shiny! :blink:

Edited by Banjo

Edp
looking good Jon.

What are you using to clean the brackets, they look like new :blink:

Cheers

Wurth wheel and engine cleaner is superb at getting rid of grease, tar and general s*ite. I used it on my 1.6 which came up a treat!

Ed

Edited by Edp

Pug_101
Metal things are being de-greased and then sprayed with Hi-Temp Aluminium paint from Halfords... amazing stuff and makes things like new :blink:

So your cheating :D

Works well though.

Jonmurgie

Yes, cause you'll never get something that's 15+ years old as clean as new without some kind of paint or finish :blink:

jonnie205

sweet :blink:

have you ground the engine mount upper lip to claer the inlet manifold. Most carb inlet manifolds inc longman one require about 3mm taking off the mount in order to get adequate clerance. Just yours looks quite close thats all.

Jonmurgie

Been a bit lazy of late but in an effort to ever get the damn thing finished we slung the new engine in today so I can measure up on the dry sump pipes and work a few other things out, here are a few pics, very bare right now as it's only a test-fit as it were:

newengine3.jpg

newengine1.jpg

newengine2.jpg

newengine4.jpg

First thing that jumps out is the need to paint the gearbox in the gloss balck of the block but my god it looks good in there :blush:

roland rat

looks good mate bet it'll got like sh*t off a shovel once its all done!!!! :blush:

S33GAV

Probably no need to quote all the pictures again :blush:

Looking awesome that!

Miles

Looking good, Almost as shiny as one of mine.

Quick point thou, Get rid of the Servo and get a Bias pedal box, then you'll get a consistant pedal all the time

smckeown

i've never had a problem with my serve, as jon andf pete f will agree, the pedal feed is amazing with just servo and 23.8mm M/C. Basically the slightest travel and then rock solid pedal feel, also very progressive

Miles

It must be my left foot braking, Use this allot and you will loose the pedal, Plus it frees up allot of room around the Cambelt area.

look forward to the continious updates!!

jackherer
It must be my left foot braking, Use this allot and you will loose the pedal

I heard the same from some 205 Challenge people, they put a valve in the vac hose to the servo and turn it off on stages where they're using the brakes a lot.