• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

[track_prep] Mi16 Track Car - Going Back Together!

Jonmurgie

Goodridge brake lines and necessary fittings were all from Merlin Motorsport... as to why, well it looks good and easy to replace etc. but as far as I know the don't really offer that much over copper lines really...

Batfink

Theres no benefit to using braided hosing over copper pipes as solid pipes are better than and flexible pipe performance wise.

But then braided hoses are very quick to install and remove and can flex when knocked.

To save money I think I will be running copper lines inside the car. It only costs a few quid to do a whole car

Jonmurgie

I agree with Batfink... that's essentially what I was told by Merlin :D

Another little parcel of stuff arrived today... and the car is booked in to have the new engine loom done on Monday, should get it running next week then :)

Dream Weaver

What was in the new parcel? :D

Rik

What fuel pump you running Jon?

Did you manage to find out about the seat rails for me?

Thanks

Rik

Jonmurgie

Fuel pump... just running a suitable Bosch external one that had the right in/out fittings. I'll get you those measurements, car will be at work soon so it will be easier for me to remember to do it!

So an update, another busy weekend on the 205 edging ever closer to the end... so this weekend we did the following:

Lower Rad Hose

pic545.jpg

Oil Cooler

pic551.jpg

Fuel Lines 85% fitted

pic553.jpg

Exhaust Manifold (inc. removing/refitting subframe)

pic565.jpg

pic564.jpg

And finally get the car back on 4 wheels

pic572.jpg

Full write up and loads of the weekend's pictures here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

Am off home now to spend the afternoon getting oil and water into the car, then it's being brought to my work for the wiring to be done, and THEN... it can be started :o

tom_m

your poor passenger is going to be surrounded by hot oil and fuel! :o better not let any high heel wearers in the jump seat ;)

Jonmurgie

Hell yeah, I don't seen the need for any heating now :o Will see how hot the fuel gets acutally as PowerStation fitted a fuel cooler on their race car which I thought was interesting, though I expect it's not essential on an N/A car as the overall heat generated will be far less...

tom_m

cooler fuel = lower intake temps, always good, though I'm not sure how hot fuel gets normally! :o

phatgti

depends how much pressure you put it under, remember it comes up to a warm fuel rail and some of it is forced back to the tank via the regulator.

Diesel high pressure pumps get the diesel pressure up to something obscene before squirting it into the cylinders, they run fuel coolers as standard on modern diesels - look like a coil spring usually mounted near front of car.

Get it done boy and go rip fook out of it.

Dream Weaver

Just don't crash it on the first run, i'd be scraed to death of that if it was mine :o

Jonmurgie

Got the oil in this evening, all went well with no leaks (yet) but haven' fully primed the engine as I need to turn it over on the starter for that...

Also figured out the last bits of water pipe, came to fill it but realised I didn't have any proper coolant. I used to just use water but think I should use something better this time!

It's all so very close to the end now... though I keep seeing little things to sort and got a couple more slightly pricey things to buy :D Generally though, I'm actually ever so slightly worried about when it first fires etc. as there is sooooooooo much new stuff there's a LOT that could go wrong ;)

Dream Weaver

For the coolant do a 50/50 mix of proper coolant, and de-ionised water - the water costs about £7 for 25 litres from PartCo etc, collant is about a tenner for 5 litres.

Jonmurgie

So, the oils in the car (yet to check for leaks!) but it went exactly as the excellent guide by Antoni said it would ;) That's a big part of things for me as it's another fluid in the car and a BIG step closer!

pic587.jpg

It does seem SO wrong using such cheap s*itty oil but it's what Matt said to use... so I did!

pic595.jpg

pic599.jpg

Also got a long way towards sorting out the water pipe routes, had to have Forge make a tweak on the tank for me today but essentially its now a case of connecting everything up and filling it with coolant.

This is my favorite bit of he pipe run, quite pleased with how it worked actually!

pic605.jpg

Am off to get the car and bring it to work for the last few things (wiring is the main one!).

Updates here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

smckeown

Good to see progress....

pic587.jpg

Rubber hoses ;) would have thought silicone would have been the order of the day ?

This is my favorite bit of he pipe run, quite pleased with how it worked actually!

pic605.jpg

Is 1 bolt enough to secure that rail ?

phatgti

water pressure isn't really enough to break it, engine is not solidly mounted either so it should be fine from vibration.

Jonmurgie

The rubber hose is what Pace supply with the kit... it's VERY thick walled and I guess is up to the job otherwsie why would they supply it ;)

Single bolt is more than enough, there isn't anything happening there other than just stopping the pipe sloping about... it's not IDEAL but it will do for now!

Jonmurgie

Well the car is now with me at work... next time it leaves here it SHOULD be under it's own steam!

pic606.jpg

pic608.jpg

Looking stealthy...

pic612.jpg

Todays pics added here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

smighall

Looking great Jon, not long to go now hopefully! ;)

Martin@PRD

Looking great Jon, loads of time spent with the details, this is what makes a car look good. Keep up the good work i hope everything gos to plan for you and DONT WRAP IT AROUND A TREE.

skeggyrik

So I see it's almost ready for sale? :):o:D:(

LOL

smckeown
pic621.jpg

With the terminals round that way, i.e. under the seat, the terminals will be a nightmare to get at, especially as you regularly need to charge/jump start redtops :(

looking awesome...

phatgti

What on earth do you want a passenger seat in there for? :)

You can buy a kit from tweeks which clamps on the posts then has a male/female adaptor which can be out where you want (the sill) and the other part of the adaptor goes to a spare battery (for starting if its flat at home or on track - kept seperatly from the car of course)

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...&pcode=AJP6

cybernck

i'd be more concerned about that K&N filter's position, rather than battery's :):ph34r:.