• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

[track_prep] Mi16 Track Car - Going Back Together!

Kitsune

Jon, did Sean reply to you ref: heated windscreen? Picked mine up and had that fitted recently. Give us a shout if you need more info (price/where from), though would be interested to see what Sean paid for his...

*Edit*

Forget the above, it's just been answered!

How did you get it for that price at uroglas?

Edited by Kitsune

smckeown

SGR must get trade discount. Plus i'd be a returning customer :blush:

Edited by smckeown

Kitsune

Thats a very good price!

hengti

i decided to mount my handheld towards the front of the o/s rear seat base - apart from being out of the way there, i reasoned that it should be more readily accessible if i were stuck in my harness or otherwise trapped and couldn't reach into the footwell ... flames licking up.lol

Jonmurgie

Cheers for the link Sean, will look into that then :)

Regarding the AFFF stuff... is that what's in the Lifeline bottle that I have then, couldn't see AFFF mentioned in the spec on the Lifeline website?! Bought if off Rob so hopefully it's not utterly useless as he seems to know what he's doing :)

Dream Weaver

Yes they are AFF, I knew that when I bought mine from Peter Lloyd.

As said, they don't extinguish a big fire, but they give you some time to get out the car.

Rob Thomson
Bought if off Rob so hopefully it's not utterly useless as he seems to know what he's doing :)

AFFF is approved by the MSA and is what every competition car in the country uses, including mine. It will buy you a few seconds and it will extinguish small fires, but don't expect miracles. I don't exactly remember what Jon's kit was, but it's certainly good enough to meet MSA requirements for rallying.

Halon worked well, but apparently the environmental cost of slightly depleting the ozone layer is much worse than letting a car go up in a big cloud of black smoke. Go figure...

smckeown
I'm trailering the car down to Merlin Motorsport to have all the pipework made up for the dry sump, brake lines and fuel lines :)

When I was having my new fuel pipe work done, i took the opportunity to re-locate the fuel filter out of the engine bay altogether. I'm glad of the 2 less joints, especially near the manifold :)

Here's it's new home

bracket_web.jpg

Jonmurgie

Loving that small tank there Sean :)

I'm relocating the fuel filter too, and finally fitting the swirl pot and extra external fuel pump, all this will be fitted in the boot area... migh have to build a bulkhead there actually seeing as there will be lots of fuel and hot oil just behind me :)

Rob - the kit was the 101-225-001 2.25ltr Club Fire Marshal and the details on this are here: http://www.lifeline-fire.co.uk/fireextingu...icalsystems.htm

Banjo

Nice fuel hose clips sean :)

smckeown
Nice fuel hose clips sean :)

It's a well known fact you only need the rubber fuel clips with rubber hose.

:)

Banjo

I ment the jublie clip on the filter.

smckeown
I ment the jublie clip on the filter.

the advice still stands. no rubber in sight, therefore no need for rubber fuel clips

Dream Weaver

I used jubilee clips as well, no problems so far :ph34r:

phatgti

Looks fine to me :ph34r:

What i would do if possible is group your pump, swirl pot and filter together then make a box from alloy sheet and place it over the bits and fasten it down using some type of quick release or self tappers.

Looks neat and tidy and contains fluid in the events of something failing.

hexhamstu

stupid question probably but the braided hose you used for your fuel lines, where did you get it and how did you connect it to the fuel filter?

Jonmurgie

There are losds of places to get braided fuel pipe online.. jus tmake sure you buy the right one for your application, i.e. Injection or Carbs as it makes a big difference in price! You can just use a fuel line clip or those fancy alloy ends, depends on what look your going for really!

Anyhow, finally got down to Merlin Motorsport @ Castle Combe yesterday and had my oil pipes made up... they are fecking lush B) if a little pricey in the end ;)

piperun14.jpg

piperun15.jpg

Lets play a game... how much does this lot look like it cost?

piperun16.jpg

So all steam ahead now, enigne out at the weekend and get ready for the final build!

More pics etc. here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

smckeown

I'd guess £350

p.s. the wheel straps are far to low on that front wheel, should be above the middle shouldn't it to strap it 'down'

good to see progress being made, mine should be running this w/e

Edited by smckeown

Dream Weaver

I'd say about £290.

Looking good Jon, can't wait to see it in the flesh when done B)

GLPoomobile

You missed a bit B)

That thermostat housing top cover pipey thing needs painting ;)

Jonmurgie

Didn't have any problems with the straps on the trailer at all.. was told to have them just below half way down the wheel?! Have towed it about like that for many miles so far so seems to be OK (touch wood) but I ALWAYS keep an eye out for the straps in the rear view mirror the whole time I'm towing it...

LOADS of things left to paint etc. and the stat housing was only there for mock-up so I knew where the pipes had to run B)

And as for the cost of the pipes/fittings... your both WAY off, total was in excess of £800 but I did get 25% off so it all cost around £620 :lol: That's the best of the best stuff you can get though, Goodridge 200 Series Hose with lightweight fittings ;)

Powers

Jon, you should have taken me up on the offer of ordering it for you from the states. You could have had a big saving there!

Jonmurgie

No worries matey, but I needed the flexability that Merlin gave me as we had to swap out a few of the fixings etc. and they will give me full refunds on any of it if it's not right when I come to put it together finally... can't buy that from the states B)

smckeown
Didn't have any problems with the straps on the trailer at all.. was told to have them just below half way down the wheel?!

Sod that, doesn't make sense when the straps are being pulled downwards. Hope you never see the car vanashing from a trailer jon while doing 60 down the m5 :D

so it all cost around £620 :

OMG :D No wonder lots of people never get round to fitting their dry sump system and selling the bits on