• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

Tone
On 7/8/2023 at 11:59 AM, MartyPet said:

Trying to get my red 205 GTI to run properly and stop hesitating on part-throttle. And making a video about it to try to get help! 

Before spending anything on anything, clean the spark plugs and re-gap them to 0.028

boldy205

Had a call from the garage that's setting up the Emerald on my SC GTi6 and it's all done!

Very happy with 250bhp and 220lbs/ft of torque! 

Off to collect it on Monday morning

Ready for a track day or two after sorting a few cooling issues hopefully!!

• Like 3

j_turnell

Rolling resto continues, engine and box ready to come out for a check over. Back end back together. 

IMG_9532.jpeg

IMG_9530.jpeg

parry

I did this on the weekend.

360109444_744308547697617_2429141795153402025_n.jpg

• Sad 1

boldy205
1 hour ago, parry said:

I did this on the weekend.

360109444_744308547697617_2429141795153402025_n.jpg

Ohh! Box and block? What let go?

welshpug

Uncle rodney :blink:

rodsticker2_480x480.png

Edited by welshpug
  • Haha 1

parry
23 minutes ago, welshpug said:

Uncle rodney :blink:

rodsticker2_480x480.png

Uncle Rodney did not like the party and on his way out he kicked the starter motor and cracked the bellhousing!

boldy205

Ahhh s*it!

Telf

Today I wandered out to change the fuel hose and remembered its a pig of a job , easier on a ramp so i left it. Also I've forgotten what size spanners i need and really couldn't be bothered.

probably have to as a favour and get it in the air for an hour

MartyPet

Thank you all. Sorry about the slow reply - been away. Tom - thank you, I have not checked what fuel pressure I have. I am not sure how to do that, but I am sure I can find out somewhere on here... yes it is a D6B 1.9. I will have a look at this. I am also going to change the plugs, and dizzy cap etc. - although they all look pretty good. 

Neil - sorry - what do you mean by coil? I am trying to do one thing at a time to try to isolate where the issue is. But it would be good to know what this was.

Peter - I certainly could adjust the mixture screw on the side of the AFM. How do I know how much to adjust it? Sorry for the extra questions. 

I should have time to look at it this weekend I hope. 

Thanks again all. 

Phil Gti

With help from the Forum answering all my questions with facts rather than opinions unlike other sites, I have...

Rebuilt my fuel pump, installed recon injectors, sourced and fitted a new starter motor, replaced my thermostat &  housing and sensors, diagnosed a faulty after market immobiliser and removed it. Finally got my engine started and running, then found my water pump shaft was leaking. 

Replaced the timing belt, tensioner and pump. Started it again and found another leak from the oil cooler hose. Fixed that and all good.

Decided to flush and bleed the brakes, then a bleed nipple sheared in one of the calipers! Simple fix, I still love my car, although quite often I don't think the feeling is mutual.

Just a couple of jobs left before its first M.O.T since I started the restoration, errr a " few years ago" lol.

• Like 2

Dimi

Thanks to Damir's write up about the fuel pump relays, I found my relays ('93 model 75k km). Prior to this the engine stalled a few times and I replaced the fuel pump, only to find the old (newer) pump working when tested on the battery. My original pump worked too (had it in the collection). So, this raised a flag about the relays. Swapped the 5 pin yellow one, as it looked as if the PO has been accessing it, so I tried that first. Next morning my battery was flat! 

Now I am chasing the battery drain. When I unplugged the relay there was no change in the drain, same for all fuses except after removing the 10A fuse (O2 sensor) in the engine bay, the drain got lower.

I will take the car on a ride this weekend to see if the relay swap worked (if the car will stall again). Also, will update if I could solve the battery drain mystery.

IMG_20230726_201325_547.jpg

DamirGTI
5 hours ago, Dimi said:

Swapped the 5 pin yellow one, as it looked as if the PO has been accessing it, so I tried that first. Next morning my battery was flat! 

You need specific 5pin relay , not the usual "ordinary" 5pin type ..

Ordinary/common 5pin relay which you have is called - "5pin changeover type"

With this relay there's constant +12v supply across/between pin 30 and 87a = battery drain , better unplug it asap .

For Motronic system you need - "5pin dual output type" relay : Bosch Part No. 0 332 019 150

Replace it with correct relay and it'll be fine ... recharge the flat battery asap , it'll still be good if not old and left uncharged for longer period (the lower the voltage and the longer it stays with low charge , sulfation process begins which is kinda hard to reverse back ..)

While you're at it check the injection supply relay too ..

Injection supply relay you'll find in black box near left strut tower , should be green relay socket and green or black 4pin relay plugged in .. you'll find it easily by following the wiring - goes trough the edge of the firewall and into the cabin where it cross connects with the fuel pump relay .

So , in essence , IIRC the injection supply relay "kicks in" first (powers/energizes fuel pump relay) and then the fuel pump relay afterwards .

D

Dimi

Wow, appreciate it, Damir! I am only going to say that every knowledge of all of you that this forum is collecting for our cars will be well used to keep the 205 GTIs purring for generations :-)

I unplugged the incorrect relay, promptly found a Hella dual output 5pin one and ordered it (bosch number was showing me the normal type here in CAN/USA). Recharging the battery now.

Found the box with the two green relays (one is for injection) as per your description.

Will report back when I get the relay and go for a drive! 

Cheers again, Damir! You guys in the UK can meet and enjoy even more your cars in the twisties. Here I do not know anyone with a 205, and the roads are too straight :-), but I still love how it goes like a kart!

IMG_20230728_163648_031.jpg

DamirGTI

As always , "helping people makes things go little bit further" , we all learn from each other that's why i like forums (and seriously dislike Facebook and the likes , useless crap social networks)

As far as meetings goes , tbh me thinks i'm the only one left in my country (i'm not from UK) driving 205 Gti , starting to feel like an dinosaur !

But yeah , the roads over here are really good for 205 spin around fun time B)

D

Dimi

After Damir alerted me the wrong relay drained my main battery , today decided to install a bike LiPo battery 12v, 38 A/h, 200A. Looking at the calculations, it will be able to handle the fan for 5min on its own and still have enough juice to crank :-)

It is saving the car 10kg

IMG_20230730_183621_939.jpg

Gohn

clutch cable broke

drivin along , last change before turning in to get some diesel and splat !?.. pedal just drops out

matched engine speed to 3rd , selected route without traffic lights and drove home

its old n all that but still, pretty disappointed at the rubbish plastic part

had a new spare ready so its in (the gimble on it is plastic too)

had to take out the RF driveshaft to get decent enough access to where the cable plugs into the firewall

spose I better go get a new spare (hopefully one of the brands still uses metal for the end) 

cable1.jpg

cable2.jpg

cable3.jpg

Anthony

AFAIK, it's only BE1 cables that use the metal end - all BE3 cables are plastic at the pedal end.

That said, I don't think that I've ever had one fail where yours has - every clutch cable I've had fail has always done so near where the cable joins the metal threaded part at the gearbox end, so hopefully your replacement cable will prove to be long lasting.

boldy205

Drove it! Finally got it back together and took it for a good ranting. Very happy!

• Like 2

Fallowsnz
On 7/31/2023 at 2:44 PM, Dimi said:

After Damir alerted me the wrong relay drained my main battery , today decided to install a bike LiPo battery 12v, 38 A/h, 200A. Looking at the calculations, it will be able to handle the fan for 5min on its own and still have enough juice to crank :-)

It is saving the car 10kg

IMG_20230730_183621_939.jpg

I've just been looking in too a lithium battery for my race car, how did you get along with the alternator output? The batteries I've been looking at have can only take about 20 amps max. I  would need fit a  regulator so I don't fry the battery.. 

boldy205

Getting ready for a track day at Combe on Monday with Jer309 in his 350Z

Very much looking forward to kicking the s*it out of the old girl! It's been too long!

Dimi

Hi Fallowsnz, the battery description said that there is Voltage protection built in BMS. Also, I read that the only concern is if a car's fans run after the key is taken out, they may discharge such small batteries and prevent a start up, but other than that, I did not find oher potential issue. There is a button on top and display that now shows 13.6V. Before I left it was 13V as the car sat for two weeks.

Today, I went for a 60km drive to check if the car will stall randomly, after Damir helped with pointing to the dual outputs relay for the fuel pump and I installed the new one.

It seems that this resolved the stalls due to the pump stopping working. However...., On long sweeping corners when I keep a good speed (entry onto a highway type), after the half of the turn the gas pedal becomes unresponsive and two seconds later the dashboard lights up, indicating stalled engine. I put it in neutral, ignition Off and On, the car starts, into gear and off I continue.

What is this? This existed before the other stalls (the car did not want to start) that the new relay took care of.

I figured, all of you are doing spirited driving on track or otherwise, so this must have happened. I read on this forum of random stalls but seems like there is no known culprit. Please give some suggestions, so I test. My next test will be lowering the speed in the corner to grandma level and see if it stalls then. It feels to me now that the centrifugal force in the long turn is depriving something of fuel flow. Mind you, I had half tank today. I will do tests with a full tank too.

Cheers!

Phil Gti

Finally after a few months searching for parts, fixing one thing after another, I have finanally got it running well, all the electrical jobs are done, everything works and the interior is complete at last. Fitted a new DAB+ head unit and replacement speakers and to say I am pleased is an under statement. Next step is finding someone or a garage to lower the torsion bar. Sanspeed for a rolling road tune and almost time fo its 1st M.O.T in over 10 yrs!20230819_162920.thumb.jpg.446742d3fa8e5ed1e0be5937d1f861ca.jpg

Anthony

.... and fit a new gear knob ;) 

My '90 1.9 GTi passed it's MOT this morning, which is good, although the rear jacking points are going to need some attention before next year, which is less so.

Quite depressing that I didn't even manage 1200 miles in the old nail last year - really must remedy that and enjoy it more!

• Like 1