• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

3D Printing 205 Parts

pugdamo

Another vote for the driving light surrounds

DC2T

Id imagine they should be realatively easy, i need one to copy from though. unless someone else cads it :)

• Like 1

DC2T

Ive got a solitary 1.9 gti wheel for the centre cap at my mams which ill grab on sunday and ill have a look through the boxes of plastics i got with the 205. Ill try and draw up some stuff over the weekend too

Edited by DC2T

notamondayfan

Just wondered if we did our own designs can we send stuff over to yourself for printing? Obviously for some sort of price. I design on solidworks for a living so it would be handy to know someone to get personal projects printed if need be?

If you upload your stl file to the print sites it will give you costs, its quite simple really, the most complex part is designing the part to print properly, and then making it as cheap as possible.

notamondayfan

I'm bored at work so I just had a bit of a brain dump of things that you could potentially 3D print for a 205 GTI. Some has been covered already (badges). Some parts are clearly still available but might be cheaper to 3D print anyway, or just easier to obtain than waiting to get hold of a new/used OE part. Just thought this might get other's thinking and making further suggestions.....

1. Various interior/exterior clips

2. Exterior:

Alloy wheel centre caps (perhaps with Lion logo impressed instead of embossed for something different. Could also do different logos e.g. Speedline or PTS logos)

Tailgate badges

Rear 3/4 badges

Grill badge

Mudgaurd badges

Driving light frames

Rear window and sunroof screw caps

Windscreen wiper bolt covers (they sometimes snap off if you fold them too far back)

3. Interior (getting the textured finish might be a challenge for some parts):

Front and rear speaker grills

Coin tray lid

Triangle blanking plate above coin tray

Choke blanking plate

Wing mirror inside covers (the triangles)

3 and 5 button trims for the centre console

Vents for front and rear of lower centre console

Window winder blanking caps for elctric window door cards

Door lock pulls

Bolt caps for the seatbolt mounting points

How about a small pair of caps that would fit in the screw holes at the back of the console behind the gearstick? I always thought this bit looked unfinished how Peugeot had left it.

Seat subframe blocks (the small round blocks that raise the subframe up off the carpet)

The covers that slip on the metal release arms for the back seats (in front of the parcel shelf at both sides)

4. Enginebay:

8v ignition lead holder

1.9 Mi16 spark plug/ign lead cover

8v/16v cambelt covers?

How much of this is no longer available?

Also what about parts that would enhance the 205, like you mention the gear surround holes, but what else could be made better?

DC2T

The program i use will tell you the amount of material used aswell as the time it will take to do. The chair you sent me will take me 4Hour 9 mins with 2.91 metres of filament at a cost of about 24p per metre for the black. Its free and its called Cura so you could upload your own files and check on that too.

welshpug

this :D

IMG_0425.jpg

DC2T

can totally do that, embossed and raised aswell as sort of domed etc ill do one tomorrow when i get in from work

pugdamo

Id imagine they should be realatively easy, i need one to copy from though. unless someone else cads it :)

Ill have a look at mine at the weekend,i know 1 has rotted away but ill check the other.Hopefully its ok. Can they be printed in a gloss finish or would it need painting?Cheers

DC2T

i think painting would give the best finish. Its not that the finish is bad but due to the nature of how its created you get almost machine marks like you would if it was milled. finishing by hand seems to work fine so they can be sanded smooth but for best results i think paint would be the winner

pugdamo

Ok,ill get back to you at the weekend about the condition of mine.This thread is so interesting,never seen anything like this before and the stuff you can do with it is really impressive.Top work.

DC2T

Ok mate :)

thanks

Edited by DC2T

Weser

Sweet cheers.

Sounds like there is enough of us using these programs to model the stuff up ok.

ALEX

Make me!

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-2783-0-62302600-1396013567.jpg

The restrictions at work won't let me add pictures for some reason? It's my last day at work, so I won't have access to a legit copy of Solidworks until I start my new job.

but if a mod could sort the link above out for me it would be appreciated.

I have modelled that from memory, and I need the exact measurements to get a Cad model ready for printing. But it only took me 5mins to create.

edit, oh it worked! :wacko:

Edited by ALEX
  • Like 1

welshpug

I have one of those, want me to measure it?

ALEX

You've got till 3pm before my exit interview.

I've got a week off until my new job, My dodgy copy of Solidworks isn't installed at home yet, I'll have to fish it out.

I can send the file via email to anyone to finish it, just send me a PM.

Also I think there's a fillet in the corners for the cut out.

Edited by ALEX

Weser

I am waiting for my solidworks to be transferred to my new PC so cant help at the mo otherwise I would. If its done before you start the next place I can PM you.

GeorgeXS

I'll happily cad it up if given measurements.

welshpug

Cool, I'll try and measure up later or this weekend.

welshpug

looks wrong :P

DC2T

can be done sure :)

ALEX

The driving light surround would be better in plastic as the steel one only lasts a year before it starts to rust, but I was thinking I could model it thicker than the tin its made from, 3mm? Possibly? I, ll look into it next week, but if anyone with solidworks wants to model one I used the shell feature

• Like 1

hexhamstu

I can model in inventor on tuesday if no one else will do it. Is this any good? I'm sure I can save in a solidworks compatible format. I also have a brand new surround to work from.

DC2T

Would be great stu yeh, i think you can even save to solidworks part files if you wanted, or if you want to keep the original save it as an stl