• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

3D Printing 205 Parts

DC2T

T16Turbobadge_zps1723f92d.png

And heres the turbo badge

• Like 3

DC2T

yeh ive read about that before, its a shame to go through all that work and use the rb25 and not the 26 i thought though

dcc

Can you build these in layers using different colour plastic?

do the base black, and 2/3 of the 'mi / rallye / gti' bit in black, and the final 1/3 in red?

farmer

I doubt Pug will care, these guys don't give a s*it once they have sold the parts to the dealers, they don't want to know.

The patent is probably expired on them anyway.

Edited by farmer

DC2T

Unfortunately not dcc , but they are working on a dual extrusion kit for my machine that will allow that

Yeh thats what i was thinking farmer

farmer

I say print ahead :), looks good.

DC2T

Aye im gonna :P ill order some black plastic and ive got the paint ready. I left the brush at work last night otherwise id have painted a few up. Ill do it tonight, in the meanwhile ill draw up some more badges

Would there be interest in the little square badge from the GTI 6 inlet do you think ?

DC2T

20140318_182202_zpsa79019fa.jpg

Pardon the sloppy paint job lol, the brush it came with is the absolute worst. I might try and print out a new lion for the front grill too, i had a bit of a brainwave last night so ill see how it comes out

Edited by DC2T

farmer

At Least with the Loin grill badge, it can still be purchased from Peugeot at the moment.

DC2T

ah fair enough, i was gonna do a custom one for myself anyway

farmer

Be nice to see what you can come up with though, as no doubt it will be only a small amount of time before they go NFP.

GilesW

Before this thread moves on any further, can we pleaaaaaaase get James a cloth to wipe the crud off his camera lens. It's doing my nut in!!! lol

Really good stuff there James.

I would just be sitting there printing out anything I could think off all day long.

• Like 2

DC2T

Thats exactly what im doing mate lol, and beleive me ive tried cleaning it but it doesnt go away, i duno if the lense has chipped a bit :(

Next on the list is some wheel centres, again with any logo on. Ive been missing one from my integra for as long as i can remember, and at 20 quid a piece i think ill just print one

Daviewonder

I'm missing a centre cap from my T16 alloys, I believe we just became friends ;)

cybernck

He doesn't need to make friends with anybody - he'll print his own :lol:.

• Like 1

DC2T

Haha, ill have a look at some dave and see what i can do.

DC2T

got an email today that the black filament will be arriving tomorrow, so hopefully il have the first prototype ready for you guys to see by tomorrow night :)

• Like 1

iPlod999

Epic thread.

History in the making.

DC2T

TegBadge_zpsad2a1790.jpg

theres a numbered plaque im doing now for the integra, they all came with a numbered plaque on hte centre console but they go missing sometimes or sold or whatever so gonna churn a few out to replace peoples missing ones. Also thinking of doing number plate sized ones for shows and the such like and could do the peugeot ones like that too

• Like 1

notamondayfan

Just thought I would share some prints I received yesterday. These are done by http://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk/ unlike James' prints that were done by himself. I genuinely don't think I've been this excited about a piece of new technology ever!!

3D_Prints_DSC3698.jpg

I wanted to create something fun and playful, and as my son now LOVES Duplo, it made sense to make some unique one-off pieces.

3D_Prints_DSC3718.jpg

In my job I also do a lot of 3D modelling, and so I took a 3D model I created, and sent that to print too at 1/10 scale

3D_Prints_DSC3669.jpg

And I also printed a pen holder, just because I could

3D_Prints_DSC3701.jpg

I also used www.shapeways.com a few months ago to print some coasters.

IMAG0684.jpg

The main difference between the two companies is that Shapeways you can print in different materials and finishes. The red coaster is printed in red nylon, but is a smoother / more refined finish, where as the white nylon is quite rough to touch, kind of like an extra strong mint.

Anyway a few more pics and close-ups can be seen here....

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/notamondayfan/library/3D%20Printing

Next week I plan to paint and test different finishes. I'm hoping a few light coats of spray paint will see a difference in the finish, and I'll attempt to paint the Duplo cake Airfix style.

I'll write this up properly over the next week or so and post it on my blog.

DC2T

I had a look into it and apparantly i can print in nylon too, and from what i can see there are quite a few nylons to print in which is understandable. When i get a chance ill buy a spool and give it a go as ive seen some nice things done with nylon, one thing is that it can be dyed in a bag (like tie dying clothes) to give multicolour printsThe biggest difference between shapeways and quite probably the other english company is the way its printed, im pretty sure theyll both be printed using an SLA or SLS printer where as the desktop type are usually FFF printers. With the SLA/SLS its possible to print in metal too, the problem with these printers is the price mainly the kind shapeway uses will be 100's of thousands where as a desktop printer can be had for as little as 600 quid. Heres a brief explanation of the differences :

Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF):

FFF is a relatively new method of rapid prototyping which works by laying down consecutive layers of material at high temperatures, allowing the adjacent layers to cool and bond together before the next layer is deposited:
400px-FFF.png

The technology can be described as the inverse process of a computer numerical cutting (CNC) machine. 3D models are transformed into g-code, essentially a set of instructions which positions the motors precisely and generates the required volume extrusions to create the part. For most simple objects, the FFF method only uses the amount of material required for the part, as opposed to a CNC machine which requires significant amounts of scrap material. One exception to this case is when overhangs are introduced into the part features. Here is a video from Hector N. Gama showing the removal of overhang support material from an ABS model:

The resolution of FFF rapid prototyping is limited by the accuracy of the motors and user calibration as well as the print time available. Print time increases linearly as part tolerances become tighter. FFF print tolerances range from 0.05 mm to 0.5 mm with the industry average coming in at around 0.2 mm.

Some interesting benefits of fused filament fabrication include the ability to easily customize infills of the objects being printed. This means that it is very simple to print prototype models for fit and finish checks with low infill, or even hollow, in order to save on material costs. Once the design has been completed final checks or low volume production runs can be done at higher infills. This feature of modulating the part infill also allows the designer to introduce unique insulating cavities into the design which would be impossible with other manufacturing methods. This is particularly beneficial for any part working under thermal loads.

FFF is the preferred method of rapid prototyping parts with standard tolerances due to its affordability and low turn-around times.

Summary of FFF strengths: material costs, production speed, design flexibility

Summary of FFF weaknesses: accuracy, overhang features

Stereolithography (SLA):

SLA is another example of building a model layer by layer, but instead of extruding molten plastic through a nozzle, the process requires a liquid plastic resin called a photopolymer which is then cured by an ultraviolet (UV) laser. This process is even more comparable to a CNC operation as the SLA machine requires an excess amount of photopolymer to complete the print. The common g-code format is used to translate the CAD model into assembly instructions for the printer.

An SLA machine typically stores the excess photopolymer in a tank below the print bed. As the print process continues, the bed is lowered further into the tank curing each layer consecutively along the way. Once the final layer is complete the bed is raised out of the tank, exposing the solid 3D model. This part is then rinsed with a liquid solvent to remove any photopolymer that was not cured.

sla.gif

Resolution of SLA rapid prototyping varies from 0.05mm to 0.15mm with the industry average tolerance around 0.1mm. On average this is significantly more precise than FFF and is the preferred rapid prototyping solution when extremely tight tolerances are required. This is mainly because the cross sectional area of the laser can easily be made smaller than the extruder nozzle in the FFF method.

Due to the smaller cross sectional area of the laser, SLA is a significantly slower fabrication method than FFF. Small parts take hours and large parts can take days to complete. Additionally, the material costs are significantly higher due to the proprietary nature and limited availability of the photopolymers. This method is typically not compatible with production runs for these reasons.

Summary of SLA strengths: accuracy, design flexibility
Summary of SLA weaknesses: material flexibility, material costs, production speed

Selective laser Sintering (SLS):

SLS is a very exciting technology which directly fuses particles together layer by layer through a high energy pulse laser. Similar to SLA, this process starts with a tank full of bulk material, but this time in powder form. As the print continues, the bed lowers itself for each new layer as done in the SLS process. Overhangs are naturally supported by the excess bulk powder material making those features much more simple to print than using FFF. The bulk material is typically heated to just under its transition temperature to allow for faster particle fusion and print moves.

sls.jpg

This method is particularly exciting because of the flexibility of materials that can be used. Both plastics and metals can be fused in this manner, creating much stronger and more durable prototypes. Although the quality of the powders is dependent on the suppliers proprietary processes, the base materials used are typically more abundant than photopolymers, and therefore cheaper. However, there are additional costs in energy used for fabricating with this method which may reverse any savings realized in the material cost.

Speed and resolution of SLS typically match that of SLA, with industry averages at around 0.1mm tolerances. Due to the relatively slow fabrication speed, this method is only suitable for low volume production runs of small, precise parts.

SLS is the preferred rapid-prototyping method of metals and exotic materials.

Summary of SLS strengths: accuracy, design flexibility, material flexibility, material cost
Summary of SLS weaknesses: manufacturing costs, production speed

Edited by DC2T

Daviewonder

Could you do the turbo one in the same dimensions as the GTI one?