• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

3D Printing 205 Parts

jackherer

I just deleted a pointless argument, please keep the thread on topic.

pugdamo

Sorry for the slow reply but i checked the spotlight surrounds on my 205,one has gone completely which i knew,the other side fell to bits as i was removing it so i havnt got any.Im going to ask a mate whether he has one i could borrow,will get back to you soon

• Like 1

jackherer

Once again I had to delete some off topic arguments, if you want to start a new topic and keep it civil then feel free but keep this thread on topic (3D Printing 205 parts)

DC2T

Wow what did i miss lol, no prob damo let me know if you get anywhere :)

farmer

Some people were not happy that I gave you the part for nothing to copy, no pleasing some people.

Are you nearly finished with my parts ?

DC2T

As promised, this is the form of the grooves in the original

Scan4_zps13b43cec.png
Scan5_zpsf7750aee.png
Scan3_zpsc81d2bb0.png

And heres the form of the print

Scan1_zpsb8ee790d.png
Scan2_zps30894c89.png

Now the sizes themselves are slightly out on mine but that can be changed in the model no prob, but i was particularly pleased with the repeatability of the printed sizes.

And heres the small side of the pedal box

Untitled_zps47e4bfd7.png

Edited by DC2T

DC2T

Oh rihgt :S Yeh, nearly finished doing the large side now. I can send them back today if you need them ?

farmer

This week will be fine.

Will PM in future to avoid future spats.

• Like 1

welshpug

the specific shape is not important, all that matters is that the I.D is the same as the o.d of the gear rod (within a given tolerance of course) and that the two bolt holes are in the right place.

GLPoomobile

Some people were not happy that I gave you the part for nothing to copy, no pleasing some people.

Are you nearly finished with my parts ?

Really? Jeez, whatever happened to community spirit? Can people not see that there's a great effort going on here to achieve things that are going to benefit everybody?

On another note, I was going to say earlier that this is one of the most enjoyable topics in a long time :) I've actually found myself becoming quite envious of DC2T, as this seems (to me) like a really enjoyable job. It's one of those things were I wish I'd had the fore-sight years ago to see this sort of thing coming, and had the opportunity to train for it, because now that it's here I see massive potential for what you can do with 3D printing, and it seems like a process that I'd quite enjoy doing as a career.

• Like 2

Edp

Great thread, shame about the bitching.

• Like 1

klarky

This is a great thread! Where I work we sell the printer dc2t is using and a range of cheaper and more expensive 3d printers and 3d scanners. We supply mainly into schools and universities so it's great to see a proper engineering use and creating useful parts.

The ultimaker 2 is a great 3d printer but I also like the up! Plus 2 and the up! Mini as its so cheap but spits out very good models.

3d scanning seems to be the next big thing to add to 3d printing. I've been playing with a new low cost scanner, the sense, which seems quite good but can be fiddly scanning small items but its sub £1k. I get to play with a next engine 3d scanner at work which is a very nice bit of kit but at over £3k for the scanner before the extra softwares means its out of reach from most home users.

I'd never have thought to print 205 parts but it makes perfect sense for things like the badges. If anyone fancies trying to design things try the rs website and download a software called designspark. It's a cut down version of spaceclaim which I've used a few times and I find it easier to pick up than solidworks. http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/page/mechanical . I use designspark to produce samples to print to send out to customers, but for very basic parts try autodesk 123d free softwares.

If anyone is thinking of buying a 3d printer feel free to ask me any questions as I've used many of the sub £5k machines as well as the more expensive objet and 3d systems printers as well as the old zcorp powder based machines which have now been taken over by 3d systems.

• Like 1

DC2T

ive just been looking at the objet 500 i think? the multi colour one that can print with carbon fibre

Also just seen where youre from, i didnt buy my 205 from you a few months back did i?

ALEX

These disigns were probably based to suit a plastic injected moulding process and may have had limitations that a 3d printer wont have.

i.e. the gearknob! what benefit would there be in not making it solid?

• Like 1

klarky

ive just been looking at the objet 500 i think? the multi colour one that can print with carbon fibre

Also just seen where youre from, i didnt buy my 205 from you a few months back did i?

No my 205 will be broken for parts shortly.

The 500 looks fantastic but way out of the ballpark I work in, it will be over £200k easily!

I'm keeping an eye on the formlabs form 1 but they are not looking for distributors and this just because its carbon fibre 3d printing https://markforged.com/

klarky

These disigns were probably based to suit a plastic injected moulding process and may have had limitations that a 3d printer wont have.

Less material used means cheaper and faster to 3d print. If you have a decent fill which many 3d printers software will do for you the part will still be strong, or you can design it with inside supports. I tend to shell my design( make it hollow ) and let the printer software work out the fill by selecting solid or medium or in the ultimakers case by %

• Like 1

DC2T

oh really? haha il not be getting one of those then lol. Ive also had my eye on that one too :P its about 5k $ i think which isnt too bad if the parts are good. I cant think how they will be strong though as its a continuous strand of carbon which will break easily in the direction of the lay?

klarky

oh really? haha il not be getting one of those then lol. Ive also had my eye on that one too :P its about 5k $ i think which isnt too bad if the parts are good. I cant think how they will be strong though as its a continuous strand of carbon which will break easily in the direction of the lay?

The quality is far superior to extruded plastic and if they can sell for £5 to £6k ex vat they would sell very well in the education market I work in. I've seen and have sample parts from a 3d systems production size laser sintering machine that uses the same type of technology as the form 1 and the smoothness of parts or fine detail is a major step forward. Formlabs are currently in legal discussions as 3d systems claim they have infringed patents they hold, I suspect they will end up paying a license fee and the form 1 will have a price hike to cover it. They are still in business and producing machines for pre order and have had multi million dollar investment since their kickstarter so hopefully will come to market soon.

DC2T

Yeh ive seen the sla and sls machines and id love one, price is just the factor unfortunately lol. Id love a fff with a larger bed too but again funds are the issue, if i could print plenums id be happy lol

cybernck

If you need someone to test the throttle pedal bits, mine is very accessible at the moment and today I've noticed

the pedal is very wobbly too (but then again, I don't know what should it be like when new). Just my 2p worth :D.

P.S. The same goes for the gear rod bits.

Maso

I fully agree with every comment about the MC bottle, and would hate for something to fail because of it. but yeh id certainly try the block itself

Gutmann emblems can be done easy enough, all i need is one to copy from. Or someone to take some measurements of an existing one and ill make a model myself

I unfortunetly dont have a emblem of this type lying around.

notamondayfan

This is a great thread! Where I work we sell the printer dc2t is using and a range of cheaper and more expensive 3d printers and 3d scanners. We supply mainly into schools and universities so it's great to see a proper engineering use and creating useful parts.

The ultimaker 2 is a great 3d printer but I also like the up! Plus 2 and the up! Mini as its so cheap but spits out very good models.

3d scanning seems to be the next big thing to add to 3d printing. I've been playing with a new low cost scanner, the sense, which seems quite good but can be fiddly scanning small items but its sub £1k. I get to play with a next engine 3d scanner at work which is a very nice bit of kit but at over £3k for the scanner before the extra softwares means its out of reach from most home users.

I'd never have thought to print 205 parts but it makes perfect sense for things like the badges. If anyone fancies trying to design things try the rs website and download a software called designspark. It's a cut down version of spaceclaim which I've used a few times and I find it easier to pick up than solidworks. http://www.rs-online.com/designspark/electronics/eng/page/mechanical . I use designspark to produce samples to print to send out to customers, but for very basic parts try autodesk 123d free softwares.

If anyone is thinking of buying a 3d printer feel free to ask me any questions as I've used many of the sub £5k machines as well as the more expensive objet and 3d systems printers as well as the old zcorp powder based machines which have now been taken over by 3d systems.

I'm very much in the market for a budget 3D printer, I'm not too interested in precision at the moment, but more for rapid prototyping and fast turn-around, rather than using shapeways and such. I've been looking at the Solidoodle and Da Vinci printer, both very budget. Any opinions on either of those?

The problem when things are solid they warp, as the cooling of the parts isn't very uniform, and also the added cost and time of printing it solid. If you wanted a solid print either use these guys http://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk/ as they price based on the overall dimensions of the object, or print as a hollow object, and fill with what ever you want!

Dean

DC2T

Ive got the other side drawn up, i think ill have to alter it a touch to get it to print well. On the pedal block big block, is the big lip part used for anything?

pugdamo

Iv managed to get hold of a spot light surround,if you could pm me your postal details ill get it sent up to you if you still want it?

• Like 1

DC2T

Ah thats great mate, will do