• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

3D Printing 205 Parts

kee

thought about cnc machining or even injection moulding if the sales volume is big enough?

http://www.protolabs.co.uk/

I have used this company for both services, through work, with very good results.

stumpyjag

thought about cnc machining or even injection moulding if the sales volume is big enough?

http://www.protolabs.co.uk/

I have used this company for both services, through work, with very good results.

I have visited there in my role as a tooling engineer. Vey nice outfit doing rapid machining of dies, tools and prototypes.

ALEX

post-2783-0-13921000-1360934956_thumb.jpg

Right just need a quote.

Realised I only need 4 of these, so I'll get a quote for 4.

If anyone want the cad file, just send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Edited by ALEX

ALEX

Had a reply from them

£5 each

£5 postage.

(Any finishing would be an optional £5 extra)

Seems reasonable price as the clips would be close to this from Pug, but he mentions the material wouldn't be strong enough for the clips arms and they would break off.

A bit like the originals then! (I might have to modify the design.)

They are buying a different printer that has some flexibility on the finished parts, but they're not getting it for a couple of months.

I might order a couple anyway and see what they are like and opst a pic up.

Anyone know the part number and if these are NFP from Pug, as I could just go buy some instead.

• Like 1

Anton green

Had a reply from them

£5 each

£5 postage.

(Any finishing would be an optional £5 extra)

Seems reasonable price as the clips would be close to this from Pug, but he mentions the material wouldn't be strong enough for the clips arms and they would break off.

A bit like the originals then! (I might have to modify the design.)

They are buying a different printer that has some flexibility on the finished parts, but they're not getting it for a couple of months.

I might order a couple anyway and see what they are like and opst a pic up.

Anyone know the part number and if these are NFP from Pug, as I could just go buy some instead.

Not sure on the part number, but I know that a whole host of clips are sold inexpensively on an auction site. ^_^

When I had to buy similar clips for a ford ka last year (don't ask) from a dealer they worked out ~£1 each, for a reference on clip pricing.

I might have a part number for the Peugeot clips somewhere but don't count on it as I don't know when I'll be next making a trip to my far away storage area, where it will be.

edit: not certain the clip designs on ebay will be too similar to the ones in your design above actually.

Edited by Anton green

Tom Fenton

I think that by copying the originals 100% you are making things harder than they need to be. All the "legs" do is hold them in place whilst you assemble. It is the "barrel" part that actually performs the important function which is to prevent the mirror fixing screws from crushing the two steel skins of the door.

The way I would do it would be to turn them on a lathe from nylon and forget about the legs. When you come to fit a small amount of "dum dum" or similar putty to hold them in place momentarily whilst you fit the mirror. Cover plate then goes on and no one knows any better. I certainly wouldn't want to pay £35 for 6 spacers!

• Like 1

notamondayfan

A 3D printing site I've been keeping my eye on is http://www.shapeways.com/ as they offer different materials from plastic to metal to ceramic http://www.shapeways.com/materials

I don't know how cost effective it would work out, but would be interested to see. I'm just waiting to have a client who wants to give it a go, as I'd love to get more into 3D printing.

The future is 3D printing, give it 10 years and people will have 3D printers in their houses and downloading blueprints / data for objects, and you thought music piracy was bad?!?!

DC2T

Ive got a 3d printer, came a few weeks back. Let me know what you may want and ill see what i can do :)

20140311_072843_zpse2c933db.jpg

Best print to date, took about 12 hours. Different things can be done faster or slower or at a greater layer thickness to achieve a faster print

20140309_212818_zps86b68111.jpg

The model file itself makes a big difference too, the more detail in the model the more detail in the print, it will literally print what you draw

20140313_224715_zps9cdfc2f3.jpg
20140313_224612_zpse8627a7e.jpg
20140309_074008_zps7a34383e.jpg
20140309_074003_zps4a78a39b.jpg
20140309_070519_zps87875fd2.jpg
20140309_070501_zpse73d7a33.jpg
20140308_070203_zpsb002cb94.jpg
20140308_070158_zps9139f74e.jpg
20140308_030248_zpse8512cf9.jpg

theres a few mess about prints, 2 phone holders i designed with rerouted sound channels and various other crap lol. although those chop stick things are totally amazing

Edited by DC2T

Slo

Nice the future of cheap rampant rabbits. :lol:

That turbine is awesome but how strong is it?

welshpug

sturdy enough to make a filter backplate with? :D

notamondayfan

I've ordered some parts from the company Alex mentioned, and they should be arriving next week all going well. These are tests and experiments, I want to see how strong they are, so I have made some custom Duplo (lego) parts, and I'll give them to my 2 year old son who loves the stuff, and see how they compare to the real thing!

The finish is one thing I'm eager to see and test though, I want to see how well it paints, sands, etc. Will post something when the arrive.

Dean

DC2T

sturdiness is dependent on how you position it for printing, as its layer by layer, if you were to twist it in the direction the layers are formed it would break quicker obviously. Its also dependent on what wall thickness you define for the part. It doesn't print it totally solid ( unless you specify it to do so) and builds a support lattice between the outer shells of the part. Id say itd be sturdy enough for filter back plates sure and certainly for quarter badges.

And as for finishing, they sand up very nicely. Certainly in PLA which is more rigid i believe than the ABS, and can be painted no problem from what im lead to believe, a lot of models get printed and painted

Got a pic of what it would look like welsh? i can print one to find out lol

And ill try some rear quarter badges if i have the plastics in the box, if not and someone could model them or send me one i can try and see what happens :P

Edited by DC2T

MadCommuter

I seriously hope that there is a future for car parts in 3D printing, whatever the material may be needed. It could spell the end of unavailable or sky rocket prices for parts.

Think about where this could be in, say, 10 years?

• Like 1

DC2T

Heres a tester on a GTI 16 badge i found, from the standard french mi powered 309 apparently

Gti16Badge_zps81397a38.jpg

Re-Designed it in solidworks

GTI16_zpsc2880b17.png

Its on printing now, i had to make it the size of the image which can obviously be out as i have nothing to measure for myself, but you'll get the idea once its done. 2 Hours it said to print at 50mm/s and 0.05 layer height. If it works ok i can reproduce any of them and do them in black PLA and paint the fronts red

Edited by DC2T
  • Like 2

DC2T

20140316_172347_zps39316a7e.jpg
20140316_172315_zps05aa4df4.jpg
20140316_171826_zps18a50863.jpg

and the result

• Like 3

DC2T

its pretty decent tbh, its pretty much solid plastic due to the thickness and isnt too rigid, well it is rigid but there is some flexibility in it which is good. i was worried that it would be too rigid and snap, so id imagine itd be ok. Im sure ive got some standard Mi16 badges at my mams from when i was gonna mi my 205 which ill copy tomorrow. If theres pins or clips on the back i can print them too

Edited by DC2T

Tom Fenton

I'm impressed with that I have to say.

calvinhorse

I'm impressed with that I have to say.

Trust me, if Fenton is impressed that means it's really good :D:P

• Like 3

Edp

Trust me, if Fenton is impressed that means it's really good :D:P

:D

I was going to ask if it was flexible like the original badge. All we need now is a box of these, painted up like the OE badge and we can knock them out for £100 a pop on ebay :)

DC2T

let me show you how flexible it is

DC2T

20140316_200055_zps0a70ac97.jpg

DC2T

Also, once i size the base i can write on anything, so any one wanting a custom one could be done just as easily

• Like 1