• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lowercase

[car_overhaul] 205 Rallye White

Paul_13

I'd personally fit the gti sub frame and running gear

Lowercase

well, i was a welder but its a bit more titting about than i can be bothered with though, - though i have a 1.6 gti shell and all i need siting in me barn, but not sure how i dispose of the shell after though lol id prob have to pay a scrappy to take it away as its not a rolling shell. any ideas?

but that would be good as i could nick the rear beam too and refurb that.

Edited by DaSneakyGit

allye

Don't scrap the shell if its not too far gone! Just put the base model sub frame on the gti to keep it rolling, like wise with the rear beam, they are worth pennies 2nd hand.

calvinhorse

I've got a base model subframe near Buxton Derbyshire if that's any good?

Lowercase

might just have that off you mate. would rather use a base model subframe i think, try and keep some part of the car as it was lol.

im not sure whats available in terms of bushes and arb upgrades etc.?

i know saxo vts calipers will fit the base model hubs though, so thats the plan braking wise.

calvinhorse

No off the shelf arb upgrades for the base model front subframe but mine has a near new xs (thickest available) arb and new genuine bushes ;)

calvinhorse

1.9 gti brakes fit

As do any brakes from any 306

The later xsi brakes are my favourite

Lowercase

i'll use a base model one. - saves messing about with hubs and things then :)

AP APF Coilovers.

new bushes

XS ARB

and replace all components

bigger calipers.

the idea is that i can sand blast all these bits down, paint them up, build them up an then dry store them until the underside/engine bay

has been ground back, stone chipped and freshly painted. and then fit them straight on so im not putting dirty cack back on the shell.

will also collect and assemble a new 4-2-1 manifold/down pipe, center section and gti back box (going to weld a straight tail pipe on though instead of the one that looks like a floppy penis) and cold galvanise spray them to protect them from looking manky.

and run new braided fuel lines as mine are a bit of a bodge.

hopefully the rear beam on my 1.6 gti donor car is still good and i can refurb that to go on too.

underside complete!

MiniGibbo

in my opinion a lightweight 100hp 205 is miles better in drive compared to a vts.. on paper the power to weight is the same too.

Lowercase

agreed. the saxo is up for sale at the moment, snows gone, summers on its way, can drive the rallye again.

saxo bores me, too slow and gutless. i dont like power steering. theres no feedback from the car.

• Like 1

Lowercase

Work on the Rallye is plodding on in a slow cheap manner. mostly just collecting parts for the upcoming work to turn it into a euro spec rallye - they just look more special than my tin can.

so far I have managed to salvage:

-Rust free bonnet - 100% ding free!

-Unbroken grill

-tidy ph2 GTI Dashboard - with precious heater matrix!

-1.6 gti Rear Beam - need to inspect it properly to make sure its not fecked and worth refurbing.

-1.6 gti front subframe, brakes and hubs

-fiberglass euro rallye arches

-spare gti bumpers to sand back and smooth ready for paint.

-drivers door to replace my creased one.

-pop out rear windows and seals

just replacement front wings and drivers side headlamp panel to find and im set for the body work.

still lots to go in terms of refurbing the mechanicals though, and silly little things like Braided fuel lines and battery box etc to collect.

I finally have a clear image in my mind of how i want the car to look though which is progress. And as we are now seeing the back of the cold weather i can crack on again with it. :)

Edited by DaSneakyGit

BDA-it

oo, pictures working..

so what ive been up to most the week since being made redundant on monday... got the car back together ready for the loom to be done.

cleaned up the headlamps (genuine valeo items as it turned out!) tidied up the radiator and put the old fans back on (i have some twin fans but think ill need a gti radiator before i can fit them)

and got a lot of the brackets and washer bottles etc back in. also solved the manifold problem as it wouldnt fit properly. but a bit of kicking and swearing and it went on.

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

i decided to loose the mud flaps while i was at it as i didnt like them

IMG_1137.jpg

and then after i cured the leak (i hope).. i put some more sound deadening in to make it more driver friendly

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

Where is the sound deadening kit from please mate?? Thanks

Lowercase

not really a kit, the grey stuff is the boot insulation from my old 206, just cut it in half and it fits the floor nicely.

the other stuff is the original floor insulation from the car, nice and dry which was nice.

i'm pulling it all back out again though if some one wants it, doesnt make the blindest bit of difference in that rattlebox of a rallye so might as well take it out again..

Lowercase

so, got these today, haven't offered them up to the car yet but so far im happy. :) progress

24270_10151771115168452_2023220348_n_zps3b06bcef.jpg

Lowercase

cars back on the road after its winter hibernation!

forgot how damn bumpy it was lol. took me 5 minutes to park it without powersteering lol

but oh how i do love it!

MiniGibbo

Awesome dude, euro arches have to be done..!

Lowercase

got them off a chum for cheaps, need a bit of cutting here and there but could look cool if i can get the car to sit low enough.

not sure if ill go that route yet or stick to the uk spec aesthetics, but would like to make it look like the euro version, simply because you just dont see cars that look like that anymore.

smooth the door locks and rear wiper arm holes. and maybe do it more of an ivory white than a brilliant white and just have minimal euro spec stickers. the bay will still be getting smoothed and wire tucked.

a creamier white would look a bit more 'timeless' if you get me and tie in better with the gloss grey i have for the engine and subframe etc.

but im a long way off having to make these decisions, i wont need to pic the shade of white and which spec ill follow until the underside and inside weldings been done and its time to paint the underside.

my vts is also proving impossible to shift and the price is just having to go lower and lower to the point where im on the verge of just taking the engine, brakes and ecu/loom out and sending the shell to car heaven.

strip the block down, have the head skimmed and ported and clean the crud out the sump pan, and paint it up in gloss grey with fresh head gasket and water pump and cambelt etc. and sit on it until the bays smoothed.

aesthetically its a nicer looking engine and will sit beautifully in my smoothed ivory bay and give me a bit more poke to play with.

johniban

noooo dont do that to a rallye buy another 205 to do all that to

i may be interested in some bits if you break the vts

N3VRAM

got them off a chum for cheaps, need a bit of cutting here and there but could look cool if i can get the car to sit low enough.

not sure if ill go that route yet or stick to the uk spec aesthetics, but would like to make it look like the euro version, simply because you just dont see cars that look like that anymore.

smooth the door locks and rear wiper arm holes. and maybe do it more of an ivory white than a brilliant white and just have minimal euro spec stickers. the bay will still be getting smoothed and wire tucked.

a creamier white would look a bit more 'timeless' if you get me and tie in better with the gloss grey i have for the engine and subframe etc.

but im a long way off having to make these decisions, i wont need to pic the shade of white and which spec ill follow until the underside and inside weldings been done and its time to paint the underside.

my vts is also proving impossible to shift and the price is just having to go lower and lower to the point where im on the verge of just taking the engine, brakes and ecu/loom out and sending the shell to car heaven.

strip the block down, have the head skimmed and ported and clean the crud out the sump pan, and paint it up in gloss grey with fresh head gasket and water pump and cambelt etc. and sit on it until the bays smoothed.

aesthetically its a nicer looking engine and will sit beautifully in my smoothed ivory bay and give me a bit more poke to play with.

I personally think the euro spec is a much nicer car to look at... instead of smoothing things like the rear wiper and door locks i'd probably just do the side repeaters and leave the rest standard to get it as close to the real thing as possible, it all comes down to personal taste i suppose.

Nice to see you're still keeping the car though mate, you should be really pleased with what you've done so far to tidy it up!

Lowercase

noooo dont do that to a rallye buy another 205 to do all that to

i may be interested in some bits if you break the vts

lol yea i expected that reaction!

i dont feel that sentimental about the originality of my UK rallye, its a heap, and anything would be an improvement.

but hey, long way off having to decide anything for real, still jobless and still got a wedding to pay for.

N3vram - there's certain period choices about the 205 that i hate, namely the rear washer jet, it looks like a horrible black nipple lol. and the wiring for the rear wiper arm was ripped out by the previous owner, so im in no rush to spend any time trying to put it back in.

the side indicators were something i wanted to loose, as the front wings need replacing (theyre crumpled as f***) and the panels without the indicators seem to be easier to get hold of, but i think i may run into problems come MOT time?

jamie_1992

out of interest what dose a smoothed bay consist of?

Edited by jamie_1992

Lowercase

for a 205.. the plan was to weld up and add a skim of filler over any non essential holes in the bulkhead, so most of those black grommets will be gone. the brake lines routed behind the scuttle maybe or otherwise running out of sight as much as possible.

the battery will be relocated into the boot. the washer bottle tank and maybe the expansion tank relocated into the glovebox.

ecu will run through the bulk head and the loom stripped down to only whats needed and clipped tight to the engine to keep it out of sight where possible.

and any remaining brackets, studs, holes, cut off, welded in and smoothed.

the idea being to have only a well cleaned and painted engine on display and a nice manifold/induction pipe. leave the arches clear and tidy as much of the hoses and cables as i can.

IMG_1114.jpg

if someone came to me with a fairly tidy non sunroof 3 door petrol base model/xs wanting a swap, i'd probably do it, much as i like owning a rare rallye, you do sort of feel a bit restricted in what you can do to it before you end up crossing a line. but, it's still a UK rallye, i dont think theyre anything special compared to the Euro one, so im not what you'd call a purist, if a purist wants to swap me for something suitable then thats cool.

jamie_1992

wish mine was that clean under the bonnet lol

could you put the expansion bottle under the scuttle, not sure if i would like the idea of it being so near the fuse box in the glove box if it decides to overflow

good to hear its back on the roads might see you about as im working in isfeild now

Lowercase

yea if i can find a different shaped bottle then under the scuttle would be a good place for it.

haha it wasnt always that clean under the bonnet! spent many cold nights grinding away rust and painting.

can already see rust coming through in places though, its why ill never buy a white car again!

jamie_1992

have you decided what you are doing for the subframe i have two xs subframes if you want one there taking up space

if not the gti subframe is a doddle to fit did mine in a couple of hours, kept the base hubs and used coilovers it handles amazingly now