• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lowercase

[car_overhaul] 205 Rallye White

Lowercase

top mounts off ;) big hammer, and now the rains managed to mostly piss off ive sorted out the last of the rust and cleaned up a few other bits.

wanted it primed today really but we'll see how quick the rust killer dries, might be a late night priming session.

let me know when you can come get it please :) by the 29th preferably.

Lowercase

progress:

rust treated all the cacky bits after a wire wheeling, and once that had dried, got the tiger seal out and smoothed over all the joints in the panels to stop any more water finding its way in there and rotting the car out.

DSCF2745.jpg

DSCF2746.jpg

then a good hour masking up the bay ready for paint!

DSCF2749.jpg

DSCF2750.jpg

DSCF2751.jpg

Lowercase

did a few other bits while i was waiting for stuff, all the brackets, bumper mounts, bonnet catch etc, the little details that help it look like some one gave a hoot about it :)

DSCF2748.jpg

and then primer time!

refurbed battery tray

DSCF2753.jpg

slam pannel

DSCF2754.jpg

and bay! good to see some progress as id been in a foul mood with the car all morning and wanted to set fire to the bastard.

DSCF2752.jpg

DSCF2755.jpg

DSCF2756.jpg

there was another small rust hole i unearthed near the top engine mount, but i rust treated it and as welder mate wasnt on hand, just had to gum some sealer in there so it could be painted. ill patch it with a plate from underneath at some point. least its easy to get to if it needs further attention.

will get the white coat on tomorow and try take some snaps of how the gear box and engine clean up is coming along.

MiniGibbo

Coming along really well dude..!

Giving me more confidence for when I crack on with mine haha

Lowercase

ive wanted to sell the car like 8 times today alone lol. the new engine i have is the dirtyest cack covered thing ive ever seen...

theres still odd bits of sludge in the crevices on the gear box so i cant really paint that up like i wanted. well i could but id just be painting dirt in places.

so i know that i wont be happy with the engine itself. will let the bay down a bit after all this lol.

but yea, im still 50/50 on whether or not to sell up after this has been done and get something newer that isnt such a project. i get the feeling ill have to do all the underside rust and full respray etc to get it to the point where im happy with it.

im majorly OCD incase you cant tell!

calvinhorse

Stick with it mate, new cars rot worse than old ones!

Lowercase

mmm, if i do shift it, ill be back in a 306 i think. would like to try a clio too.

but hey ho, i think i'll feel a bit different about it after its driveable again and given it a really good clean. .

Lowercase

engine bay and other bits are painted :) too dark for camera when id finished tidying up though, so ill post tomorow or something. then its time to get the engine in asap!

oh, i have some twin fans off a gti i think, offered them up to my little radiator and im not sure how it will attach at the top... get hold of a gti/vts radiator while its out?

Lowercase

i need to extend the wiring on my gti fuel tank. theres two wires coming off it, black and blue i think, then a plug.

then i have a plug that goes into that with a yellowy brown wire and a green/yellow wire.

anyone know which is the live?

Lowercase

right, engine bay painted. still painting up all the brackets and what have you with some satin black.

still masked up:

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

Lowercase

and when i'd peeled off the plastic and put my new top mount in, brake lines etc are still masked up but i was in a foul mood again so didnt stay long lol

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

and slam pannel :)

IMG_1107.jpg

and battery tray came out well - its not pink.. just the pictures naff :\

IMG_1109.jpg

Lowercase

well, todays the day the engine goes back in! wish me luck!

aarontrophy

Hope it's all going to plan mate

omega

is it in yet?

Lowercase

well, cant say it all went to plan.. as when i rocked up today i found a lovely surprise in my passenger footwell!

IMG_1116.jpg

so, ill sort that out tomorow...

but on with the show. brake servo in:

IMG_1114.jpg

and battery tray and mounts and more stuff back in

IMG_1121.jpg

Lowercase

amin fighting with a bolt!

IMG_1118.jpg

and... ready to go in with new clutch etc..

IMG_1119.jpg

with the help of two more mates, we managed to get the engine on its mounts (which are solid as heck btw! )

and we got the fuel tank in.

IMG_1122.jpg

wirings being done tomorow, and ive got to have welder mate tit about and bodge a lambada sensor thing into a down pipe for me so it will run properly and just generaly get it back in one piece. i dont think it will be driveable monday tho :( so im stuck being a 'bus wanker' for another few days...

bonnet came down on my head to.. wich was fun. big lump on my head and dizzy !

MiniGibbo

Good progress dude..!

Is that a recaro recliner I see being used as a passenger seat ;)

BlueBolt

Nice, I had a similar puddle after a heavy batch of rain after I'd painted my scuttle, didn't put it back under the lip of the window seal so the rain went straight through the internal fan intake.

Looks good!! Nice seating by the way too!!

Lowercase

ha yes matt, nicked it out the girlfriends car when i went to a wedding in the rallye. looks like its got to come out again now!

couple more bits to do but it shall all get together some how, then we'll see what the future holds for it.

Lowercase

it looks as though the bonnet spacers need to go back in though as at the moment its resting on the inlet mani.

Lowercase

spent my evening in the workshop dicking about making a manifold that will fit and have a sensor, so i can put that on tonight after work, and ill be that little bit closer to getting it back on the road again. if i keep it, it will be having a custom system made up though, so its a temporary solution for now.

looking at the last picture its a shame to have to put all the other stuff back in! it looks so clean at the moment. i did clean all the washer bottles and stuff out though and painted up all the odd brackets so should at least look half decent. a nice filter setup and a quick clean of the battery should help. though i might stick the battery in the boot just to clean the bay up a bit more.

still need to get the seats and carpet out again though! damn leak...

Lowercase

right... manifold help please people.

here's what i have:

i have the orginal cast mani, and a 205 downpipe with the lambada sensor hole. all good.

but i try to fit it, goes over the subframe, under the engine all as it should, but the mani wont reach the ports to bolt it on.

has happened twice now, once with a home made attempt using old bits and this time with a new down pipe and no modding, just bolting bits together.

am i missing something or just being a twat?

Edited by DaSneakyGit

jonXS

right... manifold help please people.

here's what i have:

i have the orginal cast mani, and a 205 downpipe with the lambada sensor hole. all good.

but i try to fit it, goes over the subframe, under the engine all as it should, but the mani wont reach the ports to bolt it on.

has happened twice now, once with a home made attempt using old bits and this time with a new down pipe and no modding, just bolting bits together.

am i missing something or just being a twat?

put the manifold on 1st and work backwards from there? that might work a bit better.

post a pic of it. it might help :)

Edited by jonXS

Lowercase

doi lol cheers jon, got it on and started getting it back together now. done some wiring for the fuel pump and its getting there. need to find somewhere to mount the ecu and fuel filter now.get the fuel lines in a sensible place and refit the rad and fans.

allye

106 (not sure of exact TU codes) exhaust mani's are longer than 205 ones which is likely the problem. The puddle in the car will be from where you have no scuttle fitted.