• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lowercase

[car_overhaul] 205 Rallye White

Lowercase

but im not in a rush to take the car to any shows until its 'ready'. plans have been honed down to a feesable cohesive concept.

but it's getting there at a decent speed now at least. decent salary for once and warm weather helping no end and i intend to make the most of it this summer.

johniban

looking good fella, can i ask why you had to put rear seats in to get it through the mot?

welshpug

you don't if you take the rear belts out.

MiniGibbo

They now apparently have to list every thing missing so I got a huge advisory list for my BMW last year :/

Shame you're going to Combe dude, would of been good getting the Rallye's together..!

Lowercase

back seats are back in just because i wanted some in there really. only the lap strap in the middle is in at the moment though as the other two have retracted into the roll and i cant get them to come out (not tried hard to be fair).

i've found that i prefer the standard seats, more comfy and better driving position, and i dont need to f*ck about with seat bars and cutting and welding the shell. .

and having a full interior in there again makes it look like less of a shed.

WARNING, LONG POST ALERT, GO MAKE A CUPPA BEFORE CONTINUING

i did something very sensible a few weeks ago. i sat down and wrote a list of what my rallye needs to be, heres an edited list:

- its my daily.

- i have a 30 minute commute so its got to be fairly economical on fuel.

- its got to have the speed when i need it to overtake a lorry/horsebox/old biffer whos going to make me late.

- its got to be exciting enough to drive to keep me interested.

- quiet enough to not do my head in in the morning.

im pretty happy with the performance, and it will be even better when i get my new bits bolted on and my gti suspension fitted.

but as some know, building cars to a concept is my hobby. - my medium for artistic flair if you want to go one further and sound like a total fag.

the rallye by its special edition nature, is very constricting though, theres obviously going to be some upset purists if you stray from the norm.

there is little to no diversity in the 205 scene. it seems that 205s MUST be either standard oem, or track slags, and this is all the more the case with the rallye editions.

it was a good laugh when it was stripped out, and would be bananas with lightweight seats and polycarb windows etc, it would be a mental rocket car, but i dont need it to be that, i cant afford to frequent track days enough to make it worth living without the basic levels of comfort just for bragging rights.

its still light given how grunty the engine is, all 205's are light, im glad ive realised that having the extra 4kg of a carpet and trim in the car isnt going to make too big a difference providing i dont put electric heated massive seats in etc.

id much rather make it something that i actually want to get into in the morning and drive, because thats what will ensure the survival of these cars. without that they will just live in the garage until your forced to sell them, and then the next owner does the same exact thing until one day you cant justify the repair bill for the car you only drive now and then and its scrapped.

having worked in the retro VW business, im influenced by a lot of the scenes and ideas, i just happen to prefer french cars. so obviously a lot of the VW scene will rub off on my car as i see it in my head. (dont worry, im not talking air bags and massive camber.)

now its just a question of what's considered sacrillage to the rallye badge? whats improvement ? and how much do i really care?

its a tidy-ish shell, i am fond of the shell as its been such a problem child and given me a concussion on one occassion when the bonnet came down on my head and i was out cold. its got a lot of stories to tell. so what do i do?

do i care that its a rallye? for the most part, no. as said many times on this forum 'the uk rallye was just a base model with stickers'. most of which i doubt will be going back on the car after paint.

1. so, do i play on the rallye theme for bragging rights and rare points but do what i see fit with it, but keep the essence of the rallye? eg. white paint and period interior

2. play on the 'rallye' stamp in the logbook as a concept but throw the rule book out the window alltogether? - i wouldnt be the first to paint a rallye in any colours other than yellow/white.

3. get another base model shell and freshen it up and transfer my S2 engine and gti suspension and the new interior im making into it, and sell the rallye shell for pennies?

4. do i keep the shell that im so fond of, and swap the vin plate and reg with another white basemodel. thus making my shell just a base spec 205, that i can molest as i see fit. ?

obviously options 3 and 4 involve spending £400-600 on another basemodel, that money could be used for the work on my shell. so, one step forwards two steps back i guess.

id be interested to know what people think.

jamie_1992

go for number 1

on another note the 5 bells pub in chailey are having there first breakfast meet of the year this sunday starts at 10am

loads of cars going and a coffee and bacon roll lol

il be going with a few mate and though as your so local would be cool to have another 205 there lol

welshpug

paint it indigo blue and slap some euro rallye arches on it :D

• Like 2

Lowercase

there was a bloke who painted his indigo S2 106 rallye cherry red, which was a fairly safe choice as its one of the colours from the rallye range (white, yellow, red, blue and black).

theres also this... which i cant decide if its bastardization of the highest order or good to be different. im not sure if metallic paint is really in keeping with the budget cheap thrills ethos of the rallye though.

peugeot_205_rallye_gti_wallpaper_zpsed62

and inspired by this xs, a black rallye would really pop with the UK spec livery. gloss grey uk spec with white steels could also look quite good.

2912555239_small_1_zps99c06eee.jpg

3011353421_1_3_n62shEjL_zps7adc774a.jpg

this is also a cool dub inspired euro rallye

simones_01_zps38df1570.jpg

and one without the arches which i think is very cool and would suit a VW style period interior

image_url-23289-1359077390_thumb_zpscf20

ill stick some pics up of my W.I.P interior soon, smoothed and retrimmed dashboard is almost finished, retrimmed door cards and headliner next on the list.

Edited by DaSneakyGit

johniban

They now apparently have to list every thing missing so I got a huge advisory list for my BMW last year :/

Shame you're going to Combe dude, would of been good getting the Rallye's together..!

nope not really,

Lowercase

mot on tuesday. informed people need opinions please:

washer jets not working - MOT fail?

speedo not working - fail?

rear seats but no seatbelts - fail?

no rear view mirror, but i have both wing mirrors - fail?

Liquid_106

mot on tuesday. informed people need opinions please:

washer jets not working - MOT fail?

speedo not working - fail?

rear seats but no seatbelts - fail?

no rear view mirror, but i have both wing mirrors - fail?

Yes

Not sure

Yes, mine did

Not sure

So you have at least two failure points, someone more informed will confirm the other two ;)

Wallby

You need seat belts if there are seats. No seats, no seat belts needed!

Lowercase

right, does anyone know how to get a seat belt out the roll ? they arent all the way in, but i cant pull it out any more than i already have.

MiniGibbo

I'd spray it black and fit it out like mine but with a quieter exhaust dude.. Be awesome..!

Lowercase

say what?

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Take out what isn't needed like sound deading to make it lighter (real rallye style)

But keep what still keeps the oem look like the full cloth gti seats for comfort..

Spray it black with rallye stickers and a oem exhaust or maybe a quiet magnex or similar and youre onto a awesome little car..!

jamie_1992

Take out what isn't needed like sound deading to make it lighter (real rallye style)

But keep what still keeps the oem look like the full cloth gti seats for comfort..

Spray it black with rallye stickers and a oem exhaust or maybe a quiet magnex or similar and youre onto a awesome little car..!

have you seen this car.... theres not much more he can take out lol

Lowercase

lol said awsome little car needs a bloody kick in its ball sack right now lol.

giving me nothing but greif today, i fix one thing and something else decides to break.

after its mot on tuesday this rallye will be getting very little attention for a long while untill the VW's done and on the road again.

then ill decide the rallyes future.

mech205eng

lack of speedo is not an mot fail but no rear view mirror is. To pass an mot you only need to have two mirrors, one of which is the rear view mirror and if i remember correctly you only need a n/s wing mirror, i'm sure an offside one isn't essential.......or is it the other way round....... :wacko:

MiniGibbo

How can you need a review mirror but don't need a rear screen...... my van came with one with solid rear doors haha

mech205eng

That is a valid point, I can't recall been in a van without rear windows with a rear view mirror. My current work van is a Caddy Maxi, it does have rear windows (although blacked over) and a factory fitted (but removable) full size bulkhead. That came brand new with no rear view mirror. The rule I said about needing 2 of 3 windows I was told about 6 years ago, I used to work in a garage and the owner would have me do MOT's for him (un-certified and under 21 at the time) then he'd just do the brake test and sign the sheet. One dodgy garage

Lowercase

ok, removed the rear bench so no worries with the seat belts.

fixed the washer jets.

stuck the rear view mirror back on

refitted the heater assembly

speedo still wont work grr.

and adjusted the headlamp

just got to get some replacement side light bulbs and pray it goes through.

pugpete1108

You don't need a rear view mirror for an mot and as said as long as you have no seats or seatbelts you'll be ok.

How can they check the speedo given they don't drive if other than up on the ramp at less than 5mph?

Lowercase

yea thats my thinking on the speedo.

its still got no dashboard in though so hopefully that wont encourage them to start looking for issues.

johniban

Speedo has just come into the mot, but tbh you wouldnt see it working untill you put the car in the brake rollers, you need one obligatory mirror witch is the windscreen mirror i think and one wing mirror, i would have to check that but im sure it is that, altho i know some vans dont have a mirror but they were like that from factory so shouldnt need one