• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lowercase

[car_overhaul] 205 Rallye White

johnnyboy666

second hand standard backbox shouldnt set you back more than 30 quid, and thatll keep the noise down.

Do you get much more power from those carbs? If its not a great deal of difference, might be worth getting an XS carb and inlet and fitting that to deal with the starting issues?

jonXS

i got an xs backbox if need be mate was only on for a few months before i removed it for an up grade

Lowercase

i dont think i get any advantages from the bike cars other than noise. they havent been set up properly and the shorter throttle cable limits the cars top end to 60mph -65 downhill with the wind behind me.

new carb could be the way forward yea or the injection route, gotta look into that though, dont really want to have to change the fuel tank or anything daft.

jon, how much would you want for the backbox mate?

MiniGibbo

Injection..?

What a brilliant idea ;)

Lowercase

not sure on the ins and outs of what ill need for that. anyone shed some light?

MiniGibbo

An injection tank and most probably some wiring..

Lowercase

anyone want to buy some bike carbs lol?

Edited by DaSneakyGit

johnnyboy666

think theres a gti tank with pump and sender for £40ish delivered on ebay at the mo (I'm just about to go from carb to injection too thats why I know lol)

Lowercase

cheers for the heads up john.

i was bored today whilst putting off horrid jobs, so i tried my speedlines on the rallye lol needs some spacers or thinner tyres. other than the rubbing, direct fit! would need euro rallye arches though!

DSCF2626.jpg

Lowercase

many secret engine upgrade :)

Edited by DaSneakyGit

MiniGibbo

New engine being..?

Lowercase

all shall become clear. ill keep it under wraps until its all in though and ive turned the key. dont want to jinx anything.

Miguelhbx

Is that the Tu3s ou tu24 engine?

If it's the tu3s can you give me some more details about the intake manifold bike carbs setup?

I've never seen it done on a rallye/xs

Lowercase

no idea what engine it is. 1.4 pile of poo.

the inlet manifold for the bike carbs was custom made by a mate at work.

will be selling the whole conversion (bike carbs and inllet mani etc )in october as soon as ive got the current engine out. watch for the for sale ad..

jonXS

jon, how much would you want for the backbox mate?

hi mate ill only be looking for say 25quid plus postage, thats if you still need it

Lowercase

got one :) chap down my road had a barn full of crap so pretty much helped myself. got some twin fans to help the cooling too :D

jonXS

very nice, will be good to see the engine plans coming... :)

Lowercase

yea cant wait to go pick the new lump up and get to work.

going to take care of some other jobs while the engines out too.

- Wire wheel all the rust out the engine bay and hydrate 80 it. - its not too bad but best to nip it in the but now!

- stone chip the lower bits and give the engine bay a fresh coat of gloss white 2k paint.

- deal with any rust lurking under the fuel tank and stone chip. while im switching them over, and ill do the exhaust tunnel aswell as ill have to drop all that down..

ill eventualy do the whole of the underside, but i dont want the car off the road for more than a week so ill do the hard to reach places while i can get access to them and sort the rest out later.

im going to degrese the new engine and paint the block up in silver before i put it in, not just to make it look nicer but to ideally make it more serviceable and easier to spot any oil that might explode from any seals..

new twin fans and possibly radiator to go in while im building it all back up.

should be a busy but really rewarding week though :)

Lowercase

bodged together my new back box after work today. used a standard gti one and welded it onto the old chavy back box pipe. sounds much nicer and quieter. and seems to go faster as i can push the car more without it sounding like im constantly ragging and revving the tits off it!

result.

MiniGibbo

I know what engine this is getting :lol:

Lowercase

pm it to me lol.

Lowercase

grr. ordered some baker bm group n engine mounts last night, paid a hefty P&P price so they would arrive in time to fit my new engine and argh checked my emails at lunch today and theres a message saying they are on holiday until the 8th! (my schedule planed to have the new engine in on saturday the 6th.)

and to top it off i just joined their FB page to see if there was any kind of assistance on there and theyre offering 10% off code for all orders placed while they're away. so im now over £100 down, paid a high postage to get them in time. and im going to be without a car for another week while i wait for them to turn up.

now i know they're entitled to a holiday, but why not put this little nugget of information on their damn website.. you know where you actually order stuff from...

anyone know of a decent substitute to baker bm mounts?

calvinhorse

That all seams like an easy mistake, I'm sure stew will sort your postage.

Don't let this put you off baker bm, they are a fantastic company with great products! (I don't work for him btw!)

allye

BBM are really good, Stew sorted me new o ring for my thermostat hosuing for free and always delivered stuff quickly, oh their products are the tits!

• Like 2

SurGie

Absolutely, Stew has always helped me out and if you dont ask you dont get.