• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

wardy18

[race_prep] Guernsey Hillclimb 205 Build

Dj_mini

Nice to see your back at it.

Have you bought the calipers yet?

wardy18

Yeh ordered them yesterday

And

I would blend the head light blanks compley level (you may be doing that) just to make the final parts easer to make altho looking at it it would need to be a 4 piece mould for the full front end min, bumpers can be tight to get out of the mould as when it cures the part shrinks a little bit and grips tighter with the shape of them, looks good so far tho and would look amazing done in carbon and left natural or carbon Kevlar there is one were the Kevlar is died black as so looks even better than carbon once wetted out as more contrast.

wardy18

To be honest the headlights army my main concern, it will be fibreglassing the upside down recesses like the front of the bonnet into the engine bay, I'm going to have to do as much of it as I can in place, let that set then pull it all off and place the panels back in place with the mould upside down and finish off the recesses

I will be looking into multi part moulds, I've done a lot of awkward moulding making my previous bumpers but never multi part moulds yet so will be a learning curve

wardy18

Can anyone recommend where I can get new wheel bearings from that are legit and not poor qual knockoffs

The amount of play on my fronts is unreal

camgti

Are SKF not the way to go? Perhaps you could buy something off the shelf to your spec that may be higher 'spec'

wardy18

Thanks I'll check them out

Buy what of the shelf to my spec may I ask?

Edited by wardy18

And

To be honest the headlights army my main concern, it will be fibreglassing the upside down recesses like the front of the bonnet into the engine bay, I'm going to have to do as much of it as I can in place, let that set then pull it all off and place the panels back in place with the mould upside down and finish off the recesses

I will be looking into multi part moulds, I've done a lot of awkward moulding making my previous bumpers but never multi part moulds yet so will be a learning curve

My front bumper mould is a 3 piece mould, I got spooxs old front wing moulds witch are 2 piece to, easy composites have a few videos on YouTube on spit moulds too the grill area could just be blanked off then you can cut that out later from the finished part. You could always jig it all up on a wood frame to keep rotating to make lay up easier. Edited by And

camgti

Front wheel bearings?

wardy18

SKF are the choice, thanks for the input!

And - checked out the easy composites videos over the weekend, they have many more steps than ive ever used making moulds but i can they are all necessary for split moulds, my next steps are to work out how many and where i want the splits and then make the barriers to the right profile (they make it look so easy) also need some of that filleting wax to make a clean edge, your idea of the jog has got my mind working now, i was intending on mould as much as i could on the car and then removing to finish off but a jig would allow for much easier and complete moulding, i would have to send the car to storage in a mates garage so to make room in my garage but heyho

wardy18

247mm Rotors have arrived

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab247/Wardy18/2016%20Upgrades/85AE7E9B-7978-4595-BC59-F3729735D298_zpsoggbulxq.jpg

Also going to start re-setting the preload on my Gripper Diff myself rather than send it away as i would like to do this mid season as the pre-load drops off, Gripper sent me a picture of the tools i need to put together to test the preload on the bench with a torque wrench

http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab247/Wardy18/2016%20Upgrades/5C21AAE8-139B-4713-BB3D-EE857307D0F0_zps4eg7yyxu.jpg

wicked

Smart idea... :)

Have some old 1.6 axles laying around that found their final destination.... ^_^

wardy18

Yeh im sure i have some kicking around too

Just need a decent Digital torque wrench now as mine is mechanical and old and possibly might have been as an improvised hammer at times haha :blink:

wardy18

Although i need to find my old sets of 309 GTi shafts as i need to send the CV/Spline ends to Brand Mechanical Engineering along with my current driveshafts so they can make me a super strong set to my current spec, they have quoted £240+VAT each which hopefully represents an unbreakable set as they will take some punishment with 203ftlb of torque and 10" wide Avon A15 Slicks :D

And

My tools look like that, but I used a impact socket welded on to the bit of shaft and the other end is a modifyed inner joint I have used both my snap on digital and a click type but that takes a lot more playing to find the click off point I was lucky and got a cheap set of gripper plate from spooks that had been opened and some plates used but it's done me for a few builds now swapping them in and out for different ones. I got my fillet wax from easy composites comes in handy for a lot of things.

Dj_mini

Might be worth contacting Colin he has now got the kit to put the splines on shafts he has just done me a set to replace my welded ones for a good price.

Biggles

That's useful to know - he mentioned he was thinking about it when he did me replacements for the pair of welded ones I'd broken end of last year.

wardy18

Might be worth contacting Colin he has now got the kit to put the splines on shafts he has just done me a set to replace my welded ones for a good price.

Very useful to know, thank you

Edited by wardy18

wardy18

My tools look like that, but I used a impact socket welded on to the bit of shaft and the other end is a modifyed inner joint I have used both my snap on digital and a click type but that takes a lot more playing to find the click off point I was lucky and got a cheap set of gripper plate from spooks that had been opened and some plates used but it's done me for a few builds now swapping them in and out for different ones. I got my fillet wax from easy composites comes in handy for a lot of things.

I have always used MacShafts for my gripper rebuilds and they also offer a self service type kit so to do the preloads yourself, this kit was about £204 I think.

At the same time I emailed gripper direct and spoke to a very helpful guy called Tom Seal, he sent me the pictures of the tooling and is also providing me a plate kit for £85

What a price difference.......!!

wardy18

Is there such thing as an uprated standard size cambelt?

If so where from?

Makes me very nervous buying service parts as there's so many cheap/poor quality imitations out there so no idea where best to buy from

welshpug

what belt did mass use on it?

i have heard of a wide belt conversion which is fairly straightforward with a bit of parts bin raiding from later 16v xu's though I'm not sure which belt is used.

i think places like kent or piper do an uprated timing belt.

wardy18

It's just a standard belt on it so if they think that's suitable then I'll stick with it

Thanks I'll check them out

wardy18

I would like to fit braided brake hose throughout but i am a bit lost as to what fittings i would need for the standard rear bendix calipers, would i need to find a conical fitting to imitate the current fitting or move to a banjo/bolt?!

welshpug

I'd be inclined to use these two fittings on the rear caliper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-AN3-3AN-90-Degree-Stainless-Steel-Hose-Fitting-/380887094145?hash=item58aea3d381

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-3AN-M10x1-0-Metric-Stainless-Steel-Adapter-/360886630210?hash=item540684f742.

Also to use Hardline as much as possible, to give a better pedal feel, and make it significantly cheaper.

Edited by welshpug

wardy18

I'd be inclined to use these two fittings on the rear caliper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-AN3-3AN-90-Degree-Stainless-Steel-Hose-Fitting-/380887094145?hash=item58aea3d381

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-3AN-M10x1-0-Metric-Stainless-Steel-Adapter-/360886630210?hash=item540684f742.

Also to use Hardline as much as possible, to give a better pedal feel, and make it significantly cheaper.

Thats a very good point, would front to back PTFE S/Steel Braided line give a spongy pedal?!

I would like to do front to back PTFE braided but if i will get a spongy pedal then i may need to think again