• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

davenport

[Project] The Rattlebox

welshpug

But you dont need to fabricate it, as the satchell engineering guys have done it all for you ?

allanallen

But you dont need to fabricate it, as the satchell engineering guys have done it all for you ?

Not for a 205 though!

welshpug

give them a chance :P

davenport

Lmfao....

spongebob.jpg

calvinhorse

Fenton does not buy, Fenton make.

davenport

I used to have the same ethos... then realised that if theres a product available that can be bought your either too tight/stubborn/stupid to overlook it

jackherer

The 106 'kit' is £640 iirc... then the dampers are extra...

Yes! It is a LOT of money but in its defence it massively damper ratio allowing better wheel control and if starting from a 'std' rear beam its not a massive jump from buying uprated torsion bars/solid beam mounts/high quality adjustable dampers..

I don't think it's that much for what it is, their gearstick is £300 so it's only two gearsticks! If they can keep the price significantly below £1k I think they'll sell quite a lot.

The problem with turretting the rear in a non-competition car is that modifications to the monocoque automatically mean it isn't road legal and needs to go through IVA/BIVA whatever it's called now. From a legal perspective a bolt on addition that keeps the original system in place is very advantageous.

calvinhorse

I used to have the same ethos... then realised that if theres a product available that can be bought your either too tight/stubborn/stupid to overlook it

Hey don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic product I really do and a great price.

johniban

id be interested in a kit for my 106! #group buy

welshpug

If you want a kit, phone them, buy one.

GLPoomobile

If you want a kit, phone them, buy one.

And that's how all the best group buys get started :lol::rolleyes:

rallyeash

Cracking project! Really enjoyed browsing through this thread. I'm really hoping Colin will do a 205 pushrod kit. I'll be at the front of the Que..

davenport

Thanks for the kind words...

With regards to the comments requesting 205 kits.. phone him.. pester him.. and prove theres genuinely a market for it..

davenport

decided to say "balls" to work xmas eve and popped down the workshop..

after a few hours I had this:

20131222_123251_zpsyq0xjiwd.jpg

20131222_123310_zpswbkza46e.jpg

20131222_123327_zpsmw9hgub2.jpg

20131222_123347_zpsmeianbi4.jpg

that moves like this!!:

[video=youtube;yRH8d3DYsUU]

STILL not happy with the rear ride height so next trip to the shop will sort that, set the droop, fit springs, rework exhaust hangers + backbox and declare the arse end, finished!!

oh, and on a :D:D note, work have just installed a powder coater which should become very useful once the cars stripped down for final welding + paint!!

a friend of mine was popping over today to borrow the shell spit, so while I waited for him, I set about dropping the back end a bit more and a few little jobs that I had been avoiding..

#1 getting its arse down...

20131228_170445_zpstmeg9tth.jpg

20131228_170420_zpszhyzmep6.jpg

personally I think I`d prefer a bit lower..... but anyhow....

#2 rear view mirror:

20131228_163352_zpsufumq0bo.jpg

20131228_163317_zps4dffeipx.jpg

this wasn`t as easy as I`d hoped and just as much of a twat as I`d feared.. the cage bar sits against the shell so using the clamps supplied with the curved mirror was gonna be a PITA, however with the trusty dremel, a hacksaw blade several files and LOTS of foul language relieved a bit of shell and it was done.. WIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiDDE field of vision !! I can see out of the passenger 3/4 window right round the back and even my own receeding hairline and the fear in my eyes...

#3 door mirrors:

20131228_163258_zpshi6zpidu.jpg

20131228_163230_zps0gfkv69i.jpg

so happy with these!! (even though they are carbon) I always thought these diddy mirrors looked a bit lost on saloon cars, even small ones so these bigger beauties fit the bill perfectly for me, they even have 100cm2 or something so there legal too, WIN!!

Stu

allye

That rear set up is actual witch craft.

johniban

Its a real struggle to get my head around how that rear set up works, pure genius though, i love it, Do you know what springs you are going to use? looks like alot of damping effort compared to actual wheel movement if that makes sence so should handle pretty well yet still have good amount of shock movement? kind of makes sence to me :unsure:

davenport

Yeah the kit brings the ratio up to 1:1 so its easier for the damper to control wheel movement..

Ive started with an 18mm torsion bar (approx 95lb equivalent) and on Cols advice a 100lb additional spring as a start point, obviously this setup also has the benefit of allowing quick changes thru the springs rather than faffing with torsion bars..

johniban

ah i see ok, so you are still going to be using basic spec torsion bars as a primary spring?

• Like 1

davenport

Yeah, until I can design some 'dummy' torsion bars they have to stay as they locate the trailing arms on the beam...

shalmaneser

The satchell back end looks lovely but I wonder what the ratio change across the range of wheel movement is?

camgti

Is it not 1:1?

rallyeash

Yes it is, unless he's wondering if there's any change on caster/camber through its travel movement.

Clarke205

I think he meant how the ratio changes throughout the wheel travel, as it will only be 1:1 at a certain point. Seeing as the damper point on the trailing arm moves through a fairly tight arc and the push rod is very short, it could change a fair bit and not easy to predict either.

Anywho.. cracking project, Stu! Glad to see this moving on again after the change of priorities.. hope you get it finished soon! ;)

rallyeash

Colin has enough knowledge to have covered all those basis tbh

shalmaneser

I think he meant how the ratio changes throughout the wheel travel, as it will only be 1:1 at a certain point. Seeing as the damper point on the trailing arm moves through a fairly tight arc and the push rod is very short, it could change a fair bit and not easy to predict either.

Anywho.. cracking project, Stu! Glad to see this moving on again after the change of priorities.. hope you get it finished soon! ;)

Yeah I explained myself badly... this is what I meant. No doubt it's a lot better than standard but I was just thinking out loud really.

EDIT: looking at it again I think it is as close as it can possibly get to 1:1 actually. Nice work.

Edited by shalmaneser