• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

[project] Sarty Evo II - Phase 2 Of Project Sarty

welshpug

torsion bars still present, but no ARB as discussed :)

Joe-Tait
Shame this Joe character's used my topic in his rampage to get 30 posts to sell whatever he has to sell.

:) Not entiley true

Will the bumper be ok on track as i know the fibreglass bonnets etc bend some what?

mfield
:lol: Not entiley true

Just mostly :lol:

shalmaneser

p1010642medium.jpg

Can't quite figure out what's going on here - is that the alternator?! What's it doing there?!

All looks very nice tho!

miamichris

I think thats the saxo electric PAS pump mate.

Craigb

This car is loooking realy nice , a project with a goal and a methodical approach to getting there . Nice one Rich :lol:

The ecu will need some protection though as the emerald is not watertight . I was trying to dig out an old post of mine where i had water dripping on my ecu and it casued alsorts of problems .

Sandy

Rich is probably tiring of being told that now, it was about the first thing I said when he'd just done it!

Batfink

this is seriously lacking an update as to how it drives etc.....

DrSarty
this is seriously lacking an update as to how it drives etc.....

It doesn't yet; it's not re-mapped or MoT'd.

21st is the prov date with Sandy for RR and road mapping. Then I'll tell all. :D

maxi

Bollocks, I will have to wait for when I get back from france to see the update!

Maxi

GLPoomobile

RR and MOT results, ball bag? ;)

And when do I get my boxes back? :(

(P.S. did you find the Ph2 heater control panel in that stuff I gave you? That's the one bit I need if you do come across it).

Sandy

Half way through mapping it yesterday, a CV broke. Being fixed now hopefully.

DrSarty
Half way through mapping it yesterday, a CV broke. Being fixed now hopefully.

Boom!

Yeah (or should I say 'yer' - it seems to be the trend on here these days :lol: ), as the engine's been slightly shifted in the bay we had a few driveshaft issues. Colin was outstanding, whizzing up two new ones to suit.

It drives nicely and is MoT'd now, albeit a little rough around the edges. It feels this way changing from a fluffy ZX(16v) to a borderline road legal track car.

Mapping finished tomorrow, pending no more hiccups.

The Xsara PAS rack is amazing and the turn-in incredible. The suspension rides the bumps nicely (even on Cornish roads).

Feels planted and eager to go, pulling well up to 4k (my 50% mapped limit plus no WOT) but needs a retrack and a little toe-in after the RR tomorrow. Fast road clutch is a little harsh too.

Engine and exhaust bark and howl like a banshee as they did before. Bodies to die for. B)

Rapido. :):):D

Edited by DrSarty

jackherer
The Xsara PAS rack is amazing and the turn-in incredible.

Best bolt on mod for the 205 since the Mi16 as far as I'm concerned :lol:

welshpug

I'd bet its even better if Colin fits it for you too :)

was it an inner or outer CV that let go Rich?

whichever it was a standard replacement shaft can donate its joints to fit your custom shafts :lol:

maturin23

Excellent news.

Can't wait to have a ride in the old girl.

Be interesting to do a side-by-side test with my rollerskate. Reckon it'll be pretty damn close.

DrSarty

On hold 2+ weeks; sorry folks.

Coil pack went tits up today (one of the four), and my spares aren't anywhere near Cornwall. <_<

I need a bloody rest anyway, and am off to Finland to see my son until 14th July.

I'm going to leave it for a bit and come back refreshed and finish the mapping and snagging with Sandy and Colin the week I return.

TU_Later

The setup so far is looking absolutely mental.. I dont know what else to say!

And the front spoiler is fully growing on me, Its the white with the Auto Bonnet i'm sure..

Kudos big time to all of you, Can't wait to see it finished!

MrG

nice one Dr, will it hit the track in the near future? If so I'll need to come along for a ride/view etc Pity you're not about come late Sept for Cadwell Park.

DrSarty

I think it will do quite well on a track, as it's now 100% mechanically finished. :D

Video and pics to follow shortly, but Sandy took care of things at SRD (Mark Shillaber's workshop) this morning, and finished re-mapping, including plenty of refining and a road drive check/monitor with the Lambda and laptop connected. Pretty much perfect AFRs all round, and cruising should deliver mid 30 MPGs. I'll report back what I get from a tank of 97/98 RON fuel.

It made 202bhp at the wheels, although there won't be any graph until it goes to a RR day. The power delivery is smooth and relentless, rather than frantic and it behaves like a rapid but well-mannered road car.

The suspension set-up certainly adds to the mix, as it soaks up bumps nicely, feels planted and works nicely with the low ratio PAS rack. The diff brings it all together.

It's not as refined in the car as I would like yet, as it has no sound-deadening at all and no rear seats or trims so it is basically running about in it's track set-up, i.e. what it will be like when I remove the sound system components (which are sub and amp boxes in the back). On the underside of those boxes will be sound absorbing mat, and they will be trimmed in red; so when fitted, they help absorb (or drown out :P ) the noise.

Likewise the rear inner quarter panels aren't there and so it's quite a noisy experience...

...oh but what a noise! B)

It pulls like an absolute train, and the standing start we did had the Toyo R888s struggling for grip into third. I'm not a fan of the R888s on the road at all, but they came with the C5 steelies, and will be swapped for T1Rs or Michelins very soon. This I think will bring the car further in line with the original design goal.

In a nut shell I'm very grateful to Sandy and Colin for their dedicated and professional work. Goal achieved.

:)

P.S. Steve (GLPoo) - It still pops and bangs but it's much more civilised now.

Edited by DrSarty

Batfink

I like the idea of modular sound deadening, only having it fitted when you want the refinement :)

I thought you were initially going to leave rear seats out and carpet the whole back, or is everything going in for everyday use? Its evolved from the early discussion days so I forget the details...

DrSarty

No rear seats ever Kev. Boxes with amps, bass and sound deadening underneath or nothing in the rear.

With them being red, it will look fully trimmed.

Undo 2 RCA leads and 2 Vibe amp plugs and lift the boxes out.

Sludge sound deadening in doors, on floor and rear quarters should make it very civilised until it's time not to be. :)

maxi

I made 202@ the wheels too. My engine spec is enormous compared to this. How come yours made so much power Rich?

welshpug

I'd suggest at least running those R888's in before ditching them, and bear in mind they are a track biased tyre so do need some heat to work (and they looked brand new when I saw them IIRC)

I'd go for Michelin PE2's as a replacement.

what did the previous incarnation make atw? and is the torque any different?

Edited by welshpug

DrSarty

Nothing wrong with the R888s - in fact they are brilliant grip givers - but they are not a good road tyre IMO. Noisy and you don't enjoy weather like we have now.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Pirellis. Rumour has it spending on a decent tyre (e.g. a Mich) pays off twice over in terms of their performance and longevity.

Adam>

I thought you made 220 ATW?

Either way, it's rather academic as rollers differ (as we/you well know) and the only true ATF figure is attained on an engine dyno, hence ATW figures being rather more meaningful.

I know power figures are or are deemed as important, but really Sandy and I are in agreement that it's how it drives and how well it will last that matters.

Emerald don't have the greatest rollers, but I believe that's down to bad acoustics in the 'room'. What Emerald does have is Dave Walker, and he knows his equipment and environment and has heaps of experience and 'feel'. He managed to get similar results if we say my car made 240.2bhp peak at Emerald, which is perhaps (due to blips) a more realistic 228-230. That, with a rough amendment to account for drivetrain losses 200-205 ATW, so the result is really not too surprising.

What I can say is that the car is smoother with staged injectors. Perhaps a RR graph - even at Torque of the Devil - is 'needed' to show a different or similar version of the same story.

Why mine makes that I thought we discussed on the phone, i.e. all things kinda just coming together.

But I seriously thought you made 220 ATW, so I'm afraid I can't really answer your question if there is such a drastic difference. Maybe Nick just went to town on my engine, and I fluked the rest? :)