• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EdCherry

[trackday_prep] How £75 Soon Becomes £7500!

M_R_205

You remind me of me 4 years ago, ft gti engine in to 1.1 XL, fire up, hmm it souds f***ed, remove, rebuild, refit, WOHOO!! fun time :D

a few random pics of it the coolorful bits are after the engine was rebuilt

Keep it up looks like your having a hoot :)

Pail.

EdCherry

I own the road lets put it like that :)

In all honesty my neighbours are understanding, the local plob are based 6 miles away and dont have an trouble, it keeps me busy and its not exactly causing disruption as my car/my mums car would be parked there anyway. Alot of my neighbours like there cars, a few with old moggys they've restored or MG's and will come over and have a chat about them.

Only problem im having at the mo is mess, spilt some oil... twice and it kinda stained. Gonna get the jet wash out.

Im trying to have fun, currently on a bit of a downer with it at the mo... bolts stuck, nothings going to plan. Off on holiday thursday for a quick break to spain for carnival, back on saturday and will start with a fresh mind, rebuild time hopefully!

Will put another update up tomorrow night/thursday morning. Thanks for the support lets hope it finally moves soon!

EdCherry

Ok right, been doing a few bits that were small and didnt deserve photos.

Heres what its looking like now with a bit of work today. Hopefully will all be back on friday.

th_DSCN2236.jpg

The Foil was the first thing I had to keep rain out of the plug holes!

th_DSCN2238.jpg

Need drivers side wishbone as the balljoint is farked.

th_DSCN2240.jpg

Shiny bronze bush and quickshifted L quad.

th_DSCN2239.jpg

Shiny gearstick finally in, looks great hope it performs it, but looks like its going to have to evolve once the seat and steering wheel is in.

EdCherry

Well after lots of faffing the engine is mated to the gearbox and in.

Got a question for someone in the know, my clutch arm seems to sit at a slight angle (10 degrees to the left from dead vertical) not sure if this is going to be a problem or what?

Edited by EdCherry

EdCherry

I havn't had a lot of time recently to work on the car, but today I got round to getting the box off again so I could get the clutch release bearing to sit back on the arm as it popped off while fiddling last time.

The clutch now works woohoo.

Ive got a few things to do inside the house like cleaning the TB and inlet manifold up. Ive rebuilt the top mounts, and the hubs are ready to go on the car with the new pinch bolts I just picked up. Newer manifold is mated to the downpipe ready to go on.

Just really a bolt it all together job and wiring now.

th_DSCN2281.jpg

Edited by EdCherry

EdCherry

UPDATE - 30-04

Well once again I did some work on it...

th_DSCN2289.jpg

th_DSCN2290.jpg

Its all together, just some wiring faults again! Those are the bosch super 4's I removed from it to put the NGK's I used in the last engine in, right to left (right 1, left 4).

Once again I had my usual helper

th_DSCN2292.jpg

Always in the way, at one point he layed down on the inlet manifold as I was trying to put the wiring in underneath it.

th_DSCN2291.jpg

Looking slightly more complete!

happygoron

Coming along nicely ed! Got an eta for completion? Next step Fudge!

happygoron

Made much progress recently ed?

EdCherry

Bit busy really with the FF1600 at college and my assingment work.

Was meant to have finished it all about 3 weeks ago. Got some time to do odd jobs and such, started making up my cage plates today although got a little bit stressy when the metal folder wouldn't do its job properly!

Anyway there should be a bigish update tomorrow evening or wednesday possibly... and no it wont be a running engine!

EdCherry

Well I got up late... so I started working late :lol:

The subframe needed changing as the wishbone bolt is stuck in the f***ing wishbone. Picked up some stuff from Anthony monday eve so got the old subframe off.

Before rebuilding everything onto the car I decided I would attack some bare metal patch's that had some surface rust on to just confirm there was no deeper rust.

Not the best work finish in the world but it does the job, cleaned alot of crap out of the archs with the wire brush and wire brush attachment on the grinder. Got very dirty and found a little patch of rust im not happy with.

th_DSCN2365.jpg

Subframe on - Thanks Ant

Motaquip Wishbones

th_DSCN2370.jpg

th_DSCN2371.jpg

Driveshafts in

th_DSCN2375.jpg

th_DSCN2376.jpg

Edited by EdCherry

EdCherry

Struts + Hubs in

th_DSCN2384.jpg

th_DSCN2386.jpg

Cats survey my work

th_DSCN2388.jpg

th_DSCN2389.jpg

Couple of 'im too f**king hot' breaks and 1 trip to peugeot for some hockey sticks, good days work I think. Interior of the car is retty much empty ready for some prep and cutting working. It will see the floor again for the first time in a long time tomorrow.

EdCherry

Well its on the floor so my mum can park out the front of the house while im holiday.

Feels great to have it rolling about again, was a bit hard to push at first as for some reason it was in gear <_<

th_DSCN2392.jpg

th_DSCN2395.jpg

And because im not sure if I put a picture up yet, but adjusted all the rods and fitted all the stuff etc for my snazzy rod, real nice gearchange.

th_DSCN2397.jpg

Edited by EdCherry

EdCherry

Well I've jumped in to the shell prep so it can go for welding and found some nasty surprises but hey ho, rather get it all fixed now so I have less work in the future!

The car will live upto the nickname it has 'patches' as it will certainly have quite 'rust wounds' plated.

Sunday - Really just cleaning surfaces back to check for rust/condition of the bodywork. That seam sealer stuff is annoying as hell but the £2 wire wheels I bought have done their job amazingly well and barely lost any of their wire.

th_DSCN2411.jpg

th_DSCN2412.jpg

This was cracked filler that I was fearing the worst! luckily after the wire wheel had gone over it just showed bare metal, assume there is some sort of dentage behind the rest but I aint going to take it off to find out for now.

th_DSCN2413.jpg

th_DSCN2414.jpg

th_DSCN2415.jpg

th_DSCN2416.jpg

th_DSCN2417.jpg

Chris working the boot floor, what a bastard of a job this is, we havn't finished it cause are arms got tired.

th_DSCN2418.jpg

th_DSCN2419.jpg

The usual crack, just cleaned out and sprayed for now

th_DSCN2420.jpg

The mess

EdCherry

Monday - Not that much work done, some more boot floor but boy is that boring and slow job. Got the valance off but bumper stuck on. Got Exhaust off too... how many f***ing bolts can you snap doing this! only 1 or two major ones snapped luckily, already started soaking the fuel tank and brake line unions in oil.

th_DSCN2421.jpg

th_DSCN2422.jpg

th_DSCN2423.jpg

Tuesday - Well my spot welding drill bit was crap, so I reverted to some 1mm thick cutting discs and flap/grinding discs to make a nice and neat job of it... or so I hoped! Not that happy with the exhaust tunnel but it gives the general starting point. Think im going to let my welder finish it off for me.

th_DSCN2424.jpg

th_DSCN2425.jpg

th_DSCN2426.jpg

When it poured down we sat inside the car and noticed this leak, rather get it fixed now if I can, any idea where its from?

th_DSCN2428.jpg

This is where it starts

th_DSCN2429.jpg

And at the end of the day.

Edited by EdCherry

EdCherry

Also looking for pictures of the specific location of the feet of the Safety Devices C12 cage for my welder to make sure the cage is in the right position. Will be grateful for your pictures!

pugtop
Also looking for pictures of the specific location of the feet of the Safety Devices C12 cage for my welder to make sure the cage is in the right position. Will be grateful for your pictures!

Have you got the locations sorted out yet , if not I can take some piccies tomorrow night when i'm at the show. Means I can have both doors open and can get pics of all mounts.

EdCherry
Have you got the locations sorted out yet , if not I can take some piccies tomorrow night when i'm at the show. Means I can have both doors open and can get pics of all mounts.

Go for it kev I havn't yet! wont be off for welding till my birthday next week at the earliest! Now only need to buy some brakes and figure out that bloody wiring so I dont lost £10 on a stupid bet I made at christmas.

EdCherry

Not much has happened really for a long time.

The racing season is over, my year as a spanner has been sucessful with the CRCC FF1600 championship won a round early, and the FF1600 Carnival won as well.

Waiting on a few more parts and there there should be a big progression around christmas-new year I hope.

Had this sitting around for about a month now and decided id offer it up to get an idea on what I need to do conserning the spacing/height of the rack.

th_DSCN2516.jpg

allye

Nice work, another 205 saved from certain scrap yard death!

Keep the updates coming, good read.

Ali

EdCherry

Well big thanks to Anthony and Pugtop, mainly for putting up with me. :)

Click the video.

th_DSCN2616.jpg

swordfish210

Good stuff. Are you still planning to build another engine for it?

EdCherry

Yep, wont be long till I make this one into a pile of scrap! Just got to get on and get the f***er welded up now!

EdCherry

Havn't really done much typically, but got some scrap ally turned down to bung the SAD system up.

th_IMG00008-20100118-1825.jpg

Made them O ringed incase I dont like running without an SAD, easy to just remove them and stick it back on that way.

Got to make 2 more plugs for the cooling system and then I can start putting it all together up there really.

EdCherry

Seat Mounts turned up today thanks to a mate picking them up!

th_IMG00012-20100120-2210.jpg

Fit lovely and loads of adjustment.

Edited by EdCherry

welshpug

they look good, take it you have or are getting some round tube seat rails fitted? are they going to have a captive nut?