• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EdCherry

[trackday_prep] How £75 Soon Becomes £7500!

westy

Have you got the AFM plugged in?

timb1046

looks like you've taken on alot of work here! but im sure it'll be great once you're finished! good luck... you're probably going to need it! :blush:

EdCherry

AFM is plugged in.

Few facts about the engine and car....

Last taxed 2000,

Last run 2003 (Apparntly),

-2 outside,

No Coolant in it,

Exhaust leaking at the manifold, manifold to downpipe connection.

Anyway, enough of that, will get a compression test done I hope and see if I can get it to run without miss firing.

welshpug

you mention the engine runs better with your finger over the pipe for the SAD, this should be connected to the elbow just after the AFM...

EdCherry

Nah it only runs with my hand over the entrance on the elbow after the AFM, without the SAD pipe on it. With the SAD pipe connected it wouldn't run.

If you look you can see my right hand being placed over it.

Edited by EdCherry

welshpug

is that with your hand plugging the elbow and the SAD pipe?

EdCherry

Just plugging the elbow, SAD pipe is just sitting there exposed not doing anything.

welshpug

sounds ominous, that would cause a massive air leak, and if it does actually run its probably VERY rich.

EdCherry

it started LOL! that makes me happy enough.

timb1046

the thing you are experiencing with the SAD: i had simular symptoms and it turned out that i'd knocked the Coolant Temp Sensor plug off the side of the block.

EdCherry

Compression test on the engine showed:

12, 5, 11, 13 Bar.

170, 70, 160, 180 Psi (ish!)

So the engine will be coming out this weekend, saturday/sunday.

Hopefully still got a spare running engine lined up for now which I can transfer a few bits across to run for now.

We've also just got a big boost of money so a big update soon with lots of goodies hopefully, Completion date - 31st March. (We can hope and aim!)

EdCherry

Update!

Autosport was expensive, but worth it!

th_DSCN1933.jpg

th_DSCN1934.jpg

th_DSCN1935.jpg

EdCherry

Update:

Well with the low compression I bought another engine that is running and can go in for a period of time while the other is out to be rebuilt. I decided before I go very far I would take the head off and see if I could find the problem.

Few problems I encounterred through out the day, the new tensioner seems to be seized solid now :$ undid as much as I could but in the end had to coax the cambelt off at the cambelt pulley. Didnt grease the front right wheel back when I fitted it on with the studs, and I couldn't get it back off.

Started off the day with my new jack and getting the car unstuck from on the front lawn (handbrake is a bit dodgy!)

th_DSCN2035.jpg

Inlet off

th_DSCN2040.jpg

Rocker off just to have a look

th_DSCN2042.jpg

th_DSCN2044.jpg

Exhaust Manifold off

th_DSCN2052.jpg

Rocker back on, cambelt off

th_DSCN2050.jpg

Headbolt Attempt 1, Totally and utterly ****ed that T55 bit. Halfords wont have another in till friday!

th_DSCN2053.jpg

th_DSCN2055.jpg

Looking Sorry

th_DSCN2037.jpg

And cleared up back on the floor.

th_DSCN2056.jpg

Edited by EdCherry

welshpug

I said you would need a supply of good T55 bits :) I think I snapped 3 on the last Diesel Pug I did, luckily the last engine I stripped came apart easily on the floor ;)

don't forget that the r/h mounting bracket is bolted to the head as well as the block.

taylorspug

Waste of time those Halfords T55 bits, they over harden them which makes them brittle. Ive had murders with them in the past. I use a Draper bit which ive had for years now, and its been perfect on about 20 heads. Its in the expert range, 1/2 inch drive, and its the type with seperate bit holder and torx bit, so even if you do snap one you can just buy the new bit instead of the whole thing.

EdCherry

Yep I decided I need to buy a different T55 bit, but my other 2 cars need a bit of love and TLC and the moment of this car. 206 Daily needs a general check, clean, empty and a few new parts (mainly brake discs/pads + pas pump). Other 205 has a post in its thread on what needs to happen!

Craigo

i love your jack mate, looks proper sturdy, but i would still put some axle stands under there if you havent (cant see on pictures)

nothing worse than a car landin on your head!

good progress with the car as well!

EdCherry

Thanks Craig. Only reason I had it up in the air was to bring it closer to me (saving me bending down.) If im underneath the car I always have it on stands, which at one point I did.

UPDATE

Well yesterday I was doing a few other smaller bits, got my calipers in paint at the mo, ready to be rebuilt next week sometime hopefully.

Today I cracked on with taking the head off with my new 1/2 T55 bit.. from halfords again. It worked and did the job although I still dont have much confidence in it!

Bit of a disaster forgot about supporting the block when I took it off :$ collapsed a bit but after speaking to kev he re assured me just to put some wood on some axle stands/jack and give it some support.

Seems the previous owner has snapped a bolt in the block where the top mount goes into the it above the alternator... (this could have been me but I never saw a bolt there :$) anyway after a few more bits and bobs its all free.... heres the pictures.

th_DSCN2074.jpg

th_DSCN2075.jpg

th_DSCN2078.jpg

th_DSCN2080.jpg

th_DSCN2082.jpg

th_DSCN2083.jpg

th_DSCN2086.jpg

Looks like a headgasket failure to me (never having seen one!) at 2 and 3, with the rest of the gasket on 1 and 2 corrding too...

Chris is coming over 2moro and we will get the box and block out, driveshafts struts and the rest out. Maybe even put the new top mounts on and new hubs and clean the bay up.

EdCherry

UPDATE

De Ja Vu

th_DSCN2090.jpg

th_DSCN2091.jpg

welshpug
th_DSCN2094.jpg

err, WTF did you do there?! <_<

EdCherry

What does it look like? drop the entire front end off. Drivers side wheel is stuck on for some reason.

Edited by EdCherry

John_205_GTi

It looks like the car has thrown up on the road.

cybernck

:D

still can't believe you're doing this on a side of the road... in the UK!

based on other people's topics, i would have expected that someone would report you or at least pester you for it :D.