• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
platty

[car_upgrade] Platty's Road/track Car Gti-5

BackStreetRacecars
ssshhh, its a secret :wub:

I got it from a forum member. Bit his arm off when he offered it to me. ;)

Pics tomorrow.

Your dampers will be on their way to you monday morning :D

Superfantastic!!!! not fancy making some moulds somehow and making a few of them no?

superb for the dampers too!!! sorry I never got back to you, just thought i'd bid and see what happened!!!

djinuk

just checking, in this pic you have a bag holding up some loom, if this just the wiring loom for the headights etc ?

passengerengbay.jpg

platty

Yes, its all the engine bay 'Car loom'. The engine loom was pulled back into the drivers footwell :)

I got a couple of quotes today for the respray. The first place was £700 with me supplying materials, the second was £600 inclusive.

Based on me doing all the donkey work to the point where they just push it into the oven, panel wipe, paint, push back out and give to me in pieces.

Im happy with that! :D

Edited by platty

timmsy19

Where was that Mark? not a bad quote really.

platty

If you know Crawley at all, its about 1/2 a mile from County Mall shopping centre. Used to be called Webber, but have recently changed ownership. Same place I had the MR2 painted. If the original owner was there I'd have got it cheaper still.

timmsy19

i'll havea look about next time im up that way. cheers

SurGie

name='platty' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:38 PM' post='928756']

Yeah 'looks' good, but I think the tyres will be all over the plastic arches like a cheap suit :)

I might have to change the trailing arms for a pair of ZX items to pull the tops in a little

Bloody cars.

Hi Platty,

I'm having the same set up with the speedline SL434's a 309 beam with ZX arms on my 205.

Iv got the alloys,beam,trailing arms sortred just need to paint and put together than fit once iv renewed the back end and sealed up.

What is it like with the normal 309 arms, does it hit the plastic arches?

Im worried about this as i want to keep the plastic arches so it looks phat from the back end

and grips alot better.

Them alloys are the DB ant they, i fell in love with them soon as i seen them.

Cheers George

platty

Good luck Surgie.....them wheels are just too wide to use with a 309 beam.

I'm hopefully picking up a set of arches this weekend from Baz, so i'll post a picture of how far outside the plastic arch the tyres are.

I've got Anthony building me a 1.9 rear beam with Xsara trailing arms as we speak, so ditching the 309 beam will sort the problem of the tyres being the wrong side of the arch kit.

SurGie

Cheers for that, im thinking that the Zx arms will be good enough but if i have to,

i'l cut the under side lip out on the plastic arch, unvisable so hopefully the tyre will go just inside

plastic arch on hard bumps etc.

I would go for 1.9 beam but i like the feel of high speed stability and how wide and phat it will look once it sorted out.

Be nice to see how you get on.

Cheers

SurGie

Haha, cheers Dan. Any weekend will be cool.

But seriously.......I make no point in hiding my admiration for Espen's car, and thats what I use to motivate me. If it wasn't from the advice given by all the Pitcrew and the Team Managers (although Anthony is trying to scupper my plans :D ), and fellow Drivers, I'd have absolutely no confidence in doing what I'm doing!

Cheers all.

Mark

You ant they only one, part from mine being graphite grey. That car is TOP. :)

johnnyboy666

just a quick question, how do the 205, xsara and zx trailing arms compare? i gather that the the two none 205 ones have more negative camber, does one have more than the other? and are they a strait switcheroo?

platty

I'm no expert here, but ZX arms have 1.2 degrees Xsara has 1.4 degrees of negative camber. 205 arms have 0.5 degrees. The ZX arms have zero toe, and the Xsara arms have some toe.

I think thats right.

As far as I'm aware, they are a straight switcheroo, but Anthony is the man to ask for certain :)

Edited by platty

SurGie

the zx has no toe and 1.2 neg camber while the xsara has the most toe 5.0 with about 1.5 neg camber, 306 has less toe than xsara yet more negative camber than zx. 205 1.9 has no camber but does when car is on floor by 0.5. I ant no expert either but iv read it on here, so

you should find it all on here.

johnnyboy666

ah its all interesting stuff! might be something for me to think about when i eventually get round to sorting a refurbed beam!

taylorspug

Once you have the ZX arms on a lowered 205 they will measure up with a mm or so of toe in, as obviously the arm has articulated round from the standard ride height position in which it is measured on the ZX.

• Like 1

Paul_13

Any pics of the ZX trailing arms on the car? Want to see what the difference is.

Nice build by the way

taylorspug

Theres a few on my project thread. :)

Anthony
Any pics of the ZX trailing arms on the car? Want to see what the difference is.

IMG_5377.sized.jpg

That's a 309 beam with ZX trailing arms, running standard 1.9 GTi wheels and 195/50R15 tires - you can see the extra camber clearly, and also see why running wider wheels is a bit of a problem...

platty
Once you have the ZX arms on a lowered 205 they will measure up with a mm or so of toe in, as obviously the arm has articulated round from the standard ride height position in which it is measured on the ZX.

Dan, your talking Klingon to me there :)

Anthony
Dan, your talking Klingon to me there :)

In basic terms, the more you lower the car, the more rear toe in you'll get as the arm twists further round.

Paul_13

Blimmin' hell really noticeable! Might have to get myself a set

ablister
Nope, well yes. Came to me from the land where men wear skirts :lol:

Sorry Ali :)

not all of us wear skirts!

just finished eating my haggis though...

i bought the same tyres as you for them (still sitting here :wub: ) from ears as well and only 3 turned up! The 4th arrived a few days later...

platty

Hmm, I used to call a girl I was seeing Haggis!

Funny about Ears and their missing tyre. My 4th showed up 2 days late also :)

platty

Right, no progress this weekend other than sourcing a set of external trim from Baz.

I have taken a couple of pictures for those that were interested in the rear width problem.

tyre2.jpg

tyre.jpg

Note there are no disc's fitted at present, so expect another 3mm width ontop of what is shown(as there is 2mm between the hub and back of wheel at present)

There is over an inch of tyre protruding at the rear of the wheel arch, where it will rub the most.

Edited by platty

chrisj21

Looking very nice platty,

I'm glad to see your putting good use to the zender valance. (i originally sold it to timmsy19)

It took me 5-6 weeks to ship that from holland. i actually pm'd him yesterday to try and buy it back. do you have any plans to mould it?

Keep up the good work

Chris