• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
platty

[car_upgrade] Platty's Road/track Car Gti-5

platty

:lol::(B)

I didn't think George would be the one to put the horns on. He likes his toy's doesn't he.....and the road he lives on is awesome, bullet straight, 4 miles long, and deserted!

Guest bigrob

yeah hes always buying something new. he got the 205 as a replacement for his bike engined kit car after it caught fire.

dont think the pug was fast enough for him so hes got a skyline now!

yeah his road is good if you dont like corners! perfect for the skyline!

platty

Update time.....

A couple of things have happend this week, one being Keith's Coilovers have arrived (Thanks Keith). A quick call to Compbrake has securred a pair of eccentric top mounts which should arrive next week.

The other thing that happened was I finally got round to hiring an Engine Hoist so......

....Out she came....

Photo-0009.jpg

....A degrease and lick of paint....

Photo-0010.jpg

....And in she went....

Photo-0014-1.jpg

I never realised how tight it is in there. At present, the 406 MC is resting on the Rocker Cover. Im planning on extending the bottom mount 7mm, If im still not happy with the clearance I'll then look to space off the Pedal Box.

Plans for this week:

Rear beam off.

Meet Anthony and exchange cash and beam for 309 beam

Fit Coilovers

Fit new brakes

Fit 309 Wishbones

Flood eBay with Xsara parts :D

Quick question for anyone thats done this before.....There is now a hole where the black plastic chamber under the inlet manifold was. What have you used to plug it, assuming you don't need the chamber that is.

Edited by platty

miamichris

you work fast mate! engine looks great :(

just out of interest, what did you use to paint it?

platty

You name it, I used it!

Black Engine Enamel on the block.

Aluminium Primer and Aluminium 'Rust Not' on the gearbox/sump/head,

Aluminium Primer and Halfords Cherry Red on the Rocker Cover,

Aluminium Primer and then Plasticoat Silver on the Inlet Manifold,

And finally Gunk Engine Lacquer over everything.

platty

Update time my fellow Puglovers.

I've been trawling through the forum searching for wiring info over the last week, and have found out a heck of alot, with all aspects of the conversion.

Little bit of tidying needed in the wiring department.

Photo-0011.jpg

And marked up the Xsara loom ready for matting to the 205 loom.

Photo-0013-1.jpg

I met Anthony last week, which ended up being a comedy of error's on both our parts. But cash exchanged hands (I nearly got away with it hey Ant :blush: ) and I

left with a refurbed 309 beam, and a 309 wishbone. I stripped it down over the weekend, and gave it a really good clean, and a Paint up. The beam was a

pleasure to pull apart as Anthony had done all the hard work getting it apart, and greased everything up on the rebuild.

Photo-0008.jpg

New shocks were fitted, and as always, new nuts and bolts. The beam was then set to 300mm between centre's.

Photo-0012-1.jpg

I bolted the beam back on, just so I could turn the car around and jack it back up to clean/paint the underside of the boot.

Suprising how wide the rear end is now, and thats without and disc's on the rear at present. I can see the grinder coming out to take the lip of the rear

wheelarch trim.

Edited by platty

Baz

Awesome progress Mark, spot on! :blush:

platty

Cheers Baz,

Peaks and troughs is the best way to describe the project at the moment. My MR2 Turbo project was the same, I remember 3 weeks of fibreglassing to make a custom intercooler scoop :P

it was worth it in the end, 6 months work and.....

adr_sized.jpg

:lol:

Fast20Car20Shoot20022320copy.jpg

Tidying the wiring is about as fun as pulling teeth, but im making progress.

dashwiring.jpg

Alastairh
:P You B&stard!! I was bidding on that VTS, went for a bargain!! :lol:

Nice project!

Only just noticed this thread. Gotta echo Baz's comments...

Glad the heart is going to a proper home mind.

platty

Lol, were you bidding on it too?

Update time.....

Call me crazy but.

outagain.jpg

white.jpg

Whilst the engine was out I spaced off the servo with 2 washers under the bottom mounts to aid clearance issues with the Rocker Cover/Master cylinder. I have also been striping the Xsara some more, and now have the front brakes ready for a quick refurb.

Guest bigrob

you aint hanging about are you mate!!

what made you decide to change to white?

platty

Nope, and now Ive got a deadline.....May 1st!

My first GTi was white. Id spend a whole day cleaning it, she'd be gleaming, I'd then go out and thrash the life out of her. Im sure cars a quicker when they're clean :unsure:

Whenever I have a mental image of a GTi its white.

Engine went back in today.....in the rain :blush:

Apart from the gauges, the wiring is done. Suspension is all but done, just need a near side wishbone, and then setting up.

Now moving onto the interior and the custom Dash. Also, I need to get a cage ordered in the coming weeks. Whats peoples opinions on them?

SD or OMP?

SurGie

Hi, are those rear arms 309GTI ones ?

DanteICE
Fast20Car20Shoot20022320copy.jpg

It's always worth it when you have semi naked women around you in the end!

Geoff

platty

I had some very naked women around me at one point!

Shame I couldn't get the pics off of the CD I had them all saved on B)

platty
any progress????

Yes, but not much.

I ordered a set of 205 GTi-6 silicon hoses from BBM which have turn't up. Although most fit very well, there are two which don't. One being the Rad top hose from the thermostat hosing, which at present goes across the Throttle Body inlet.

I also won a complete interior on eBay. So I will be re-spraying the interior in white over the coming weeks ready for it to all go back in.

I also bought a 205 1.8D at the weekend for the missus to drive, so I've spent a few days making it presentable, and fixing a few faults.

When we picked her up on Saturday

c520_1.jpg

And Today :)

DSC00272.jpg

NeilGTi85

Very nice and shiny :) ....need to clean them arches though :P

Is that where my rear valance went??

Back on topic... "there are two which don't. One being the Rad top hose from the thermostat hosing, which at present goes across the Throttle Body inlet."

Whats the other one that does not fit well??

I've not made my order yet but may hold out due to this and afew people are trying to get samco to make a kit on the 306 forum....

Cheers,

Neil

platty
Very nice and shiny :) ....need to clean them arches though :P

Is that where my rear valance went??

Back on topic... "there are two which don't. One being the Rad top hose from the thermostat hosing, which at present goes across the Throttle Body inlet."

Whats the other one that does not fit well??

Indeed it is. I now need a white front and rear valance :)

It is shiny, and the arches are going black, along with the Rallye arches she's bought for it :P

The other pipe I believe is the one that goes from the heater matrix and the back of the thermostat housing. Its a simple fix though, I just need to cut off one bend and it will/should connect up.

I think I'll buy a 90 degree hose to get over the problem with the top rad hose. The one supplied is too complex in terms of its bends. Its the extra little kinks here and there that are causing the problem with the throttle body. A straight hose should pass underneath the inlet with no problems.

It might be me being a Biff, but untill I mount the new rad, I can't tell 100% what the solution will be.

Edited by platty

GLPoomobile

You sure you've got the hose on the right way around? I recently fitted an Mi set of BBM hoses and put it on how it looked like it should fit, but it was blocking the TB and was at an awkward angle to the Rad outlet. Once I swapped it the other way around it fitted like a glove.

platty

Ive tried it 'every which way but loose' :)

It doesn't matter which way round I try it, it goes across the throttle body. Now when the Jenveys go on it won't be a problem, but for now, Ive either got to lower the rad, or make a hose up.

platty

Its been ages since Ive been on the site, work has been chaos the last couple of months and lots of things have changed.

The 205 is now in car heaven and a new shell has appeared in my garage. I was poking around under the other shell and found a huge hole that had been fibreglassed over in the boot. More poking revealled a few more 'repairs' and so while the scrap value was high, I weighed her in!

Not to be detured, I've since bought a 89' white 1.6 Gti. The car had been stored for the last 5 yrs, had 98k on the clock, and was really really clean.

It was like going back in time when I first sat in it as the interior was absolutely mint. (now residing in the girls oil burner!).

I'll get some pics up when I can, but at present she is on axle stands with the engine half out and the rear beam off. The complete suspension setup is going on the oil burner, and my refurbed bits will be going on the new shell. Complete Engine and Box will be going for free very soon, so watch the for sale section.

The change in direction means sacrifices though. That being the Euro trip. I know have no where near enough time or funds to complete the project before the trip. I'll be planning a ring trip for later in the year when she's 100%.

Edited by platty

platty

He she is looking a little sorry for herself...

earlypic.jpg

Engine's on it's way out...

16engine.jpg

Rear beam off, and will be going on the oil burner out front...

rearbeamoff.jpg

Edited by platty

platty

Ok, a little update....

I've spent a few hours on the creeper wire brushing and then degreasing the boot floor pan area. Then applied two coats of smooth hammerite, which should last a good few years.

Rear beam was bolted up, and is looking sexy :)

beamfitted.jpg

I then tried to bolt up the Xsara rear discs/calipers and found they don't fit :ph34r:

The caliper sits too far in, so you could only get one pad in the caliper. Annoying as the calipers are like new.

I'll be on the look out for a pair of 1.9 rear calipers now I guess.

As I was getting ear ache for spending too much time in the garage, I told my other half I would swap the suspension over from the GTI, to her Oil Burner. Complete subframe, and rear beam was swapped, including brakes, which has transformed the car in terms of ride quility, and handling.

Bolted on my speedlines (clad in R888's!) and boy does in corner now! Only problem is the rear arches contacting the tyre. I'll be bonding on the rallye arches this week, and sorting the arch problem with mr grinder. MOT time next week, so cross your fingers.

Littleredfront.jpg