• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
platty

[car_upgrade] Platty's Road/track Car Gti-5

platty

Well my project took a turn for the better this weekend as I picked up a Red 1.9 Gti non sunroof from Boston, Lincs. The car was advertised as having some clutch problems. It turn't out that all the lower gearbox bolts were missing, and all the top bolts were loose, so the engine and box were trying to part company, but she did manage the 170 mile trip home in this state which amazed me.

Here she is when I picked her up,

5d18_1.jpg

And on further inspection when I got her home,

Photo-0013.jpg

Going through the paperwork, I found recipts for a Piper Camshaft, Magnex four branch Manifold, a replacement engine, and a reconditioned head. So these will all be going up for sale as none of it is needed.

I spent all day today on getting the engine out, which was a struggle to be honest as I don't have access to a hoist, so I ended up standing on the struts, with some strapping round the block. Some sweat and swearing later, I had it out and on the deck.

Photo-0012.jpg

Photo-0018.jpg

Photo-0017.jpg

Got to get the Gearbox out, and empty the engine bay completely, ready for some prep work and paint. Also will be replacing both the front wings as they both have a few dents in them where people have been leaning in doing engine work. The car has very little rust, so thats a bonus.

Oh, and here's the Xsara in all its fuglyness :)

Photo-0019.jpg

And its lovely 39k mile beating heart, waiting to be caressed into the 205 :D

Photo-0020.jpg

platty

Oh, forgot to mention. Are these wheel bolts off a 1.6?

Photo-0015.jpg

Edited by platty

miamichris

it's good to see someone else wears the gay gloves when doing engine work! :blush:

Baz

:blush: You B&stard!! I was bidding on that VTS, went for a bargain!! :lol:

Nice project!

platty

lmao, sorry Baz....yeah £580. The guy selling it was a friend of the owner.....he was curious why I wasn't too interested in the condition of the body, or tyres, or interior, or anything else. When I told him im just after the engine, he said 'oh, hes not going to like that!' He then went on to tell me the owner was in his 80's and just couldn't drive anymore. The car was his pride and joy.....I felt bad for a good 3 seconds!

platty

Im fed up with getting covered in oil, grease, dirt and the like, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. The Engine bay is now empty, so I can start getting it rubbed back ready for Primer and Paint this weekend. Apparantly its going to be a hot one, so Im hoping to get all the prep work done by Saturday, so I can set up a little booth to keep the dust and wind down, and temperature up. Wet flat it on Sunday morning, and give it a colour coat, and clearcoat on Sunday afternoon, again, in my little booth.

The plan is then to start getting the Xsara lump ready to come out during the week, and hire a hoist for the weekend to drop it in its new home. Then come payday, get some new Fuel and brake Lines, and maybe an Exhaust system so I can actually run the car. Then the interior starts.......ok, that light I was talking about just got alot smaller :)

Photo-0002.jpg

craig f90

Stick with it platty. its always a long tunnel, but the light will shine. :) . Ive been thinking heck of alot about a 16v conversion myself lately. Im amazed how reasonably priced the Xsara VTS is. Especially for that mileage and the price you paid. :) Good luck and i look forward to seeing your progress reports on this. :)

westy

Bloody hell Mark, you work quick!

Could be interested in a few of the bits you've got :)

Goliath
Oh, forgot to mention. Are these wheel bolts off a 1.6?

If you mean standard 1.6 205 wheels bolts then no, No idea what the 1.6 xsara bolts look like....

Baz

That bolt looks like the ones that were on some Dimmas, like std but extended, although that one doesn't look exactly the same as the couple i've seen...

platty
Bloody hell Mark, you work quick!

Could be interested in a few of the bits you've got :)

Ben (Westy) Ive got a new number, PM'ed you ;)

As for the wheel bolts, Ive never seen them before either. I may try a Xsara bolt, as these look ridiculous on the car.

platty

Another day, another update....

Been fettling with the Pug all day and made some good progress.

Photo-0004.jpg

Photo-0006.jpg

She's all primed, and I sprayed a guide coat ready for wet flatting tomorrow afternoon.

Hopefully will be putting the colour on tomorrow afternoon aswell, but it might be Sunday morning instead as it takes ages to wet flat an engine bay.

I had the paint mixed at a local auto paints supplier, 2 cans of Cherry red base, and a can of 2K Clearcoat. Should shine like a shiney thing when its done.

platty

Had a very busy day today.

Drove up to Stansted Airport to meet MrG to drop off an engine. Then called in to meet Baz to pick up a reflective rear panel, and ended up chatting for hours.

If you ever need anything for a 205......Baz is your man!

On to the update,

I was busy with the 800 grit wet and dry, flatting back the Primer. Then I set up a little booth in the sun, which comprised of some poly sheeting, and some

plastic conduit. Surfice to say, it was very hot in there. So I set about giving every inch a good clean with some panel wipe, applied the basecoat, and

finally the 2k clearcoat. I must have lost a good litre in sweat :unsure:

Im pretty pleased with the results, and suprised at how much the colour has faded on the rest of the car.

Photo-0005.jpg

Gave the Strut Brace a quick polish and...... :D

Photo-0007-1.jpg

jonnie205

looks good, i would use vts box too, also brakes and rack

platty

Yep Box will be going on, as will the brakes.....do you know if the rears fit?

Also was talking to Baz on Saturday about the rack, can you run the Xsara rack non powered? and if so, will it be stupidly heavy?

GLPoomobile
Then called in to meet Baz to pick up a reflective rear panel, and ended up chatting for hours.

Aye, he's a pain in the arse, that Baz ;) I went to look at his Miami once (before it was even ready for sale) and we too ended up chatting for hours.....in the rain.

Your 205 is coming along very nicely by the way :)

andykandy205

them wheel bolts are the same on a 306 xsi

Baz
If you ever need anything for a 205......Baz is your man!

Aye, he's a pain in the arse, that Baz ;) I went to look at his Miami once (before it was even ready for sale) and we too ended up chatting for hours.....in the rain.

;) Cheers!! Was good to meet and chat to you too Mark, although making me look like a lazy bast&rd the rate you're cracking on with this! :) Keep it up! :D

platty
them wheel bolts are the same on a 306 xsi

Aha, they'll be going binward then.......well I might give ebay a quick try.

;) Cheers!! Was good to meet and chat to you too Mark, although making me look like a lazy bast&rd the rate you're cracking on with this! :) Keep it up! :D

You are a lazy Bast@rd Baz......9.15 and you were still zzz...zzz...zzz! ;)

Ive got to slow down a little now. its all the little fiddly time consuming bits.

platty

Right, update time.

The weather has been crap the last week, so I have been confined to working in the spare garage cleaning and refurbing bits.

I've bought a GAZ coilover kit from Keith and a 406 MC, so I thought it wise to get the Subframe and Servo ready for their new bits.

I completely stripped the Subframe, ARB, Steering Rack, and Servo/Pedal Box and gave them all a really good clean, a lick of paint, and then refitted it all

with new nuts, bolts and new ARB Bushes. Ive also bought some new Droplinks, Track Rod Ends, and some new Wishbone Bushes, which should be here

next week. Im now on the hunt for some 309 Wishbones ;)

th_DSC00206.jpg

The car originally had Koni Shocks and Springs, and matching Koni rear Dampers fitted, which will be going in the For Sale section as soon as I unbolt the rears. They need a quick rub down and painting, but otherwise will make a bargain for someone.

I spent this morning getting the Cobra Monaco's, Subframes, and Harnesses out, they'll all be in the For Sale section too!

Im now contemplating a new custom dashboard :P . Will be fairly similar to the standard dash, but with a modified centre section. Oh, and ALOT lighter. Im pretty handy with Fibreglass, so watch this space :P

The garage is in desperate need of a clean up

th_DSC00208.jpg

I was originally not too fussed about the electrical side of the conversion(Im an Electrician), and Im sure once I get the two looms side by side all will become clear, but looking at all wires sitting in the footwells, its causing me a little concern. :D

th_DSC00201.jpg

miamichris

you're an electrician and it's causing you concern?!

that makes me feel better because i'm a joiner and when I see mine, it causes me more than a bit of concern... :D if the car was made from wood, I could sort it no problem! ;) I'm thinking of getting an autospark to wire mine up when it comes to that stage as there's some strange "diy wiring" gone on in the past :P

good progress mate!

platty

Lol, yeah tell me about it. Think its time I invested in a couple of manuals for the wiring diagrams :P

Ive got a bit of DIY wiring to tidy also, Ive spotted some 5 amp connectors floating about behind the dash.

Edited by platty

Guest bigrob

This is my mates brothers old car! glad to see your doing something good with it

if you need to know any history about it then let me know as i know the guy who had it before him aswell

platty

Small world,

Do you mean George, or the owner before him?

And yeah, you can ask him what the hell all the horns are doing on the rear cross member :)

Photo-0001.jpg

Guest bigrob

yeah george and a lad called nathan who had it before him. i guess nathan is the reason the gearbox wasnt attached properly as i think he broke a couple on it while he had it!!

horns look good do they play the maccarena?? :lol: