• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

[engine_work] Project Six Pack

Tesstuff
Was just wondering where you get Noisekillers liquid sound deadening from??

Sorry for the hijack :rolleyes:

Noisekiller

:)

I bought a three litre bucket of it rather than cans.

Edited by Tesstuff

Goliath

Get the tracking sorted - Check!

Find out why the dash bulbs don't work and make them work! - Check! Turns out that there are two 5 pin earth plugs that plug in on the LHS of the steering column, only one was plugged in. Then I had to bypass a broken track on the PCB to stop the fuel and oil pressure gauges reading full all the time!

I sorted the dash bulbs out then went for a little drive, put some fuel in then went to gloucester and got the tracking sorted at ProTyre, it was toe-ing in quite a bit (although it looked like it was toe-ing out!) but its now set to dead straight. The steering wheel is (nearly) straight too and it doesnt pull from side to side even under hard acceleration so is a joy to drive :)

Their machine showed the camber too which is 1.5 degrees negative, a couple of hundredths fluctuation between the two sides.

Anyway, Pics as promised!

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

It is still riding quite high but that is fine for now, I will lower it down about 20-30mm soon but not just yet.

It is an absolute joy to drive, I have no driveshaft problems, no temperature problems and no electrical problems so I'm well chuffed!

If we get a dry day soon then I will get some 0-60 videos up for everyone :D

Edited by Goliath

Lan

fantastic mate it looks great, other than the wonky headlight :)

cant wait to see the vids :D

Kroged

Impressed of how "right" it looks under the bonnet. Looks like its supposed to host a grunty v6!

Maybe the answer of my question is somewhere in this thread but I couldn't find it. Where did you get your top mount?

Looking forward to the vids!

jackherer
other than the wonky headlight :wub:

I quite like that, looks like its scowling :):D

Make sure the vids have sound, it must sound great in a 205 with a cone filter, I've had a few cars with this engine (406, Xantia, C5) and they are pretty quiet until you put a filter on and then they sound mental but only at high RPM.

welshpug

I've got a half decent DV cam, and the car has a discreet Scorpion exhaust on it, sounds pretty mental at low RPM tbh, it can be heard 2 miles away on the Gloucestershire fields :)

shalmaneser

DSC00078.jpg

bloody hell, that must scare a few people! doesn't look like it's got 200+ bhp under the bonnet does it lol!

Gentry_Ba

*g* and think of the SOUND, it makes, when you push the throttle down! :):ph34r::o

Galifrey

Nice pics mate, is the front sitting a little high or is that just the angle?

Very OEM looking install.

Goliath

Thanks for the comments guys :D Glad you all like it!

I've been driving it around quite a bit yesterday and today and its really good. The only problem I am having is that the bonnet keeps popping up (only as far as the safety catch) when going over some bumps. As you can see from the pics the slam panel has had to be cut for the engine to fit and the catch has had to be modified to, i'm not quite sure how to fix it though as I really don't want to use bonnet pins!

I have a broken bolt on the OS bonnet hinge so will try and get that sorted, its the rear one though so no room to drill it out unfortunately. If that doesnt sort it then I will try and add another/a stronger spring to the bonnet catch so it should keep it shut better, if you see what I mean.

Yes it is riding a little higher then standard on the front at the moment, It is easily lowered though and I will get round to that shortly.

Sun is trying to show its face here and the sky is blue and white so here's hoping the roads dry up a little!

Galifrey
Sun is trying to show its face here and the sky is blue and white so here's hoping the roads dry up a little!

Indeed, I am just about to set sail for Longhope

:D

Lan
As you can see from the pics the slam panel has had to be cut for the engine to fit and the catch has had to be modified to, i'm not quite sure how to fix it though as I really don't want to use bonnet pins!

I wouldn't want to risk that personally get some pins or aerocatches on there, even if you improved it the risk of your bonnet popping up at high speed on a motorway could be the last risk you take, safety first and all :D

James_m

Cant you run struts connecting the slam panel to the lower cross member? Ive had to add these after ditching the standard rad cowling.

Goliath
Cant you run struts connecting the slam panel to the lower cross member? Ive had to add these after ditching the standard rad cowling.

There isn't really any room to do that as the install is quite tight up front, not that I need to anyway as I don't get any slam panel flexing after modifying the slam panel.

Only problem I had was the bonnet catch coming undone while driving but I have sorted that now as well, turns out the spring wasn't connected properly so I have put it back on and also added a second spring just to be sure :)

Tesstuff

George have you had some engine work done to your v6 mate?

I see you have 3.0 v6 in your signature, has it been bored out? Mine is a 2.9 v6 so i am curious :)

Goliath
George have you had some engine work done to your v6 mate?

I see you have 3.0 v6 in your signature, has it been bored out? Mine is a 2.9 v6 so i am curious :)

Eh? I don't get it? Obviously it's meant to be a pisstake, but how?

chrisj21

I think his point is the engine is actually 2949cc therefor should be classed as a 2.9 not a 3.0.

Maybe?

Great build by the way Goliath :) Looks a nice tidy install.

Edited by chrisj21

cybernck

I was also puzzled by Tesstuff's sig and found out these engines are actually 2946 ccm and technically rounded down do 2.9 liters.

p.s. How much does the Noisekillers liquid sound deadening cost? Probably much less than Spectrum Sludge?

Tesstuff

Three litres of Noisekiller liquid sound deadening cost £55. My car has had two coats and there is more than half left. A little more than one litre would easily do one thick coat of a 205 interior.

Goliath

Pointlessly pedantic IMO, I know that they are 2946cc but what's the point in rounding it down when its sold and marketed as a 3.0l?

So what is your engine out of Daz, a 2.9 v6 coupe? Must be limited edition as I have never heard of one!

I notice you haven't yet changed the other car in your signature to 1.58 instead of the incorrectly marked 1.6 that you have.

Tesstuff
Pointlessly pedantic IMO, I know that they are 2946cc but what's the point in rounding it down when its sold and marketed as a 3.0l?

So what is your engine out of Daz, a 2.9 v6 coupe? Must be limited edition as I have never heard of one!

I notice you haven't yet changed the other car in your signature to 1.58 instead of the incorrectly marked 1.6 that you have.

1580cc is nearest to 1.6 , so it is correctly labelled.

GLPoomobile
Pointlessly pedantic IMO,

post-6307-1259280805.jpg

• Like 1

dcc

teehee i think somebody took that bait, mmm tasty?

Looking good George! Time to invest in some new plastics and a respray!

unariciflocos

Following the topics here I caught the V6 bug and bought a 97 Xantia V6 in mint condition for 700 Euros, but before I go ahead with the conversion I need to know how the extra weight up front affects the handling.

I'm still going to be hillclimbing mine after the conversion, but moving up a class where there's less competition :angry: I'm still going to want it to handle like it used to so that it doesn't kill me though.

So how does it handle compared to an Mi16?

jackherer
Following the topics here I caught the V6 bug and bought a 97 Xantia V6 in mint condition for 700 Euros

Manual gearbox I assume? The Xantia V6s only came with autos in the UK sadly.