• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

[engine_work] Project Six Pack

Goliath

It has been aaaaaagggggggggeeeeeeeessss since I have updated this......

There has been some minor progress but there will be major progress very soon :)

Today Danpug dropped off all the bits I need (bar an unlocked ECU) that I need to complete the conversion. He bought them from Ade 4wd who was running a v6 in his 205 at pugfest last year.

I got:

406 - 306 hybrid driveshafts

Custom Top mount

Custom Subframe

Custom gearbox modified to take standard 205 clutch cable

Cut out slam panel and bonnet hinge

Golf Vr6 Rad with two slimline fans

Re-angled scorpion exhaust system to bolt straight on

Water pipes

And a nice big box full of spares :(

As soon as I have got the turbo engine running I will be fitting the v6 and sending my ecu off to be unlocked, best quote I have had so far is £158 which isnt too bad but is quite pricey.

Im raring to go :D:D:D

willmounsey

That sum job you've taken on there looks daunting to me (you obviously know what your at :( )

Still makes me chuckle 'V6 205' :)

Hope it all goes well for you mate

welshpug

BWAAAAPRPPPPPP :(

BackStreetRacecars

I did one of these into a 309 for my HNC project at college a few years back....lol.Lecturers loved it!! good to see another one getting done..... Now... My sorrento could do with a bit more power.... hmmmmm.... Cant wait to see yours going tho, think it'll suit the miami down to a t!!!

GLPoomobile
BWAAAAPRPPPPPP :(

Subtle :lol: . So it's running then :P

RossD

You've mentioned moving the wishbones forward an inch or so, what are you going to do with the strut top mounts? Will the increase in castor angle from doing this have any untoward effects on the handling, that may cancel out any improvements from moving the wishbone mounts I wonder?

Genuine question, I'm not trying to knock what you've done! Great project :)

dcc

Is this a 1.6 8v mate?

Goliath
You've mentioned moving the wishbones forward an inch or so, what are you going to do with the strut top mounts? Will the increase in castor angle from doing this have any untoward effects on the handling, that may cancel out any improvements from moving the wishbone mounts I wonder?

Genuine question, I'm not trying to knock what you've done! Great project :wacko:

Good question. I haven't yet moved my wishbone mounts forward. One of the main points of moving the wishbone mounts forward is to increase the castor to improve stability at high speeds, the other main point is to make the centre of the 'front axle' further forward so less weight is over the front.

hexhamstu

i heard the mot man liked it. :lol:

Goliath

As some of you may have guessed this is now up and running and I took it on the Eurotrip with great success, having only got the engine fired up 3 days before catching the ferry :o

I was keeping it quiet to have it as a suprise for everyone on the EuroTrip, almost like a 'first unveiling' :D We got down into france before I made it clear it was more then a 1.6 8v. I was at the back of the convoy on a dual carriageway/motorway so cruised passed everyone untill I got to Sarty at the front, he booted it just as I was coming passed so I did the same :D the look on Madant's face was priceless :D confused, excited all rolled into one! I could see Sarty thinking what the .... oh I see what he's done, the dirty swine :D Me and Dan were in hysterics, mainly at the look of disbelief on Madant's face! but.... but.... a 1.6 cant go that fast :lol:

I will get some pics up for you all soon :D

Roman
As some of you may have guessed this is now up and running and I took it on the Eurotrip with great success, having only got the engine fired up 3 days before catching the ferry :D

I was keeping it quiet to have it as a suprise for everyone on the EuroTrip, almost like a 'first unveiling' :lol: We got down into france before I made it clear it was more then a 1.6 8v. I was at the back of the convoy on a dual carriageway/motorway so cruised passed everyone untill I got to Sarty at the front, he booted it just as I was coming passed so I did the same :D the look on Madant's face was priceless :D confused, excited all rolled into one! I could see Sarty thinking what the .... oh I see what he's done, the dirty swine :D Me and Dan were in hysterics, mainly at the look of disbelief on Madant's face! but.... but.... a 1.6 cant go that fast :o

I will get some pics up for you all soon :D

man hat off... :D with conversion like that i dont go to 20 mile trip :D if i can't see this with my eyes i don't believe you shure got a ball's -respect :D

Goliath
man hat off... :D with conversion like that i dont go to 20 mile trip :D if i can't see this with my eyes i don't believe you shure got a ball's -respect :o

I thought you saw this in Croatia Roman? Im sure I met you and showed you under the bonnet :lol:

jimistdt
I thought you saw this in Croatia Roman? Im sure I met you and showed you under the bonnet :D

Thats what he said George, if he hadn't seen it, he wouldn't have believed it.

And another hat off to you here for pulling it off!!

Edited by jimistdt

OlberJ

Did everyone else have earplugs in when you turned up in that thing?

Pics and vids please!

Roman
I thought you saw this in Croatia Roman? Im sure I met you and showed you under the bonnet :D

yes :D i filmed all and anibody who see this couldn't believe that you come to Croatia and back wit h only 2-3 shaft pop ups :lol:

rubyna

Fair play sounds awesome from what ive seen on the tube,you deserve a pat on the back for that1 mate coz that aint no easy feat dropping a V6 in a 205 hopefully see you at the welsh meet at the end of the month!

Luke.. :D

Batfink

The in car vids sounded wicked :D

Is the driveshaft issue sorted or was it bodged on to get you home?

Goliath

Cheers for the comments!

It was actually a very easy conversion, I found it much easier then a 2.0T conversion.

The problem was that the driveshafts are made to be run with 205 wishbones, I was running them with 309 wishbones so that was why they kept popping out. It is now running 205 wishbones with a new CV joint on the end of the driveshaft so all is well :D

BackStreetRacecars

got any pics of the car??

Goliath

The mighty V6 overlooking an inferior XU5 lump :D

DSCF3199.jpg

Engine bay waiting patiently for the V6

DSCF3200.jpg

Due to not wanting to remove the MC I dropped the engine through the bay at an angle and then lifted it up level to mount it, went in first time with no swearing!

DSCF3202.jpg

Mark205

How much does a v6 cost then?

More to the point, did you beat sarty.

Goliath

My engine cost me £150 delivered.

Kind of, we only really gave it 2 runs, once on day one were i seem to remember i was a bit quicker (both car similarly laden) and then on day 10 were it was neck and neck but my car had heavier people and more stuff in the back. So basically it was pretty damn even! they were only single gear runs from motorway speeds upto muchly illegal speeds so not really a great test either, i'm sure we will meet neck and neck at pod one day :D

Lan

out of interest how does it handle with that lump in the front i can see its 60degs but thats surely a lot of weight, really cool conversion though, more pics :ph34r:

welshpug

I dont think it handles badly at all, considering it has no rear ARB and 17mm torsion bars at the moment :ph34r:

The main extra bulk of the weight is the gearbox, its about 55 kilos! But at least its a fit and forget gearbox (as long as you fill it with oil :ph34r: ) There is an LSD available for it....

I don't think The engine itself is that heavy at all, though you do have a 3 pot head hanging out in front with an exhaust manifold on it, the rest sits pretty much just like an XU, but narrower.

Can't be any worse than an Audi A3 or Golf V6, they have the whole engine in front of the wheels...

Edited by welshpug

credowan

Nice Work bet there faces were a picture when you plated your right foot,

what happened to the turbo lump you just fancied a something a little different for the eurotrip looks quick enough in the vids look forward to the pics and your opinion on the handling etc

Enjoy the fruits of your labour now mate

Gary