• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

[engine_work] Project Six Pack

dcc

Also - as a point, police give you a bit of lee-way in terms of speed. I was pulled by a copper for a brake light being out a while back, he did comment to say i was doing 35 in a 30 and that I should slow down. my speedo was reading 30, guess thats what happens when you change the size of the tyres... the speedo becomes even more inaccurate :lol:

Lan

why has this speedo argument resurfaced im pretty sure this was over lol :S

Nice work though, coil overs look good what ride height are you going for?

Goliath
Nice work though, coil overs look good what ride height are you going for?

Huh, what does this have to do with anything?

Oh wait! I remember now, this thread has something to do with my project car doesn't it? :lol:

I will be running it about 15-20mm lower then standard, don't want it too low though for ground clearance, I will be running bigger wheels too and don't want them to look wierd with it lowered too much.

I have bought some spacers which I need to clear the brakes, as soon as my paypal has sorted itself out I will be able to pay for them and then fit them when they arrive, will be sometime next week I guess. It's so annoying that its something so small stopping me from driving it!

Goliath

A little more progress....

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

Yummmmmmmm :lol:

cybernck

Cool, what discs are those and what wheels are you planning on using?

Goliath

They are 288mm xantia discs (from an HDi), I have fitted 16" Nimrods all round :( It looks good, will get some up to date photos up soon as its all finished off now :)

stuart

Just having a quick browse on my lunch break (nights...), hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread slightly but I noticed you have 9" 240lb springs and the same front struts as me but I have gravel inserts. (Are these the same length as the tarmac ones by the way?)

I was just wondering what the ride height is like with them set as you have them? Edit - noticed you mentioned 15-20mm lower but have you tried it on the ground yet?

At the moment, I have 10" 'tarmac' springs (not sure on rate) with the spring platforms wound down to about 15mm from the bottom of the threads and the front ride height is higher than standard. The springs also go loose on full extension with them benig wound down so far, so not ideal. I think I need some helper springs really.

I did have them set so they just took up the slack but it was like a monster truck so had to drop it down as much as I dare, plus if I wound them down any further, the tyres would be dangerously close to the platforms.

I would like it a bit lower as I do mainly tarmac rallies but I'm not sure how much difference the 9" springs will make.

Also though for gravel rallies, I'd like to be able to raise it up to about where it is at the moment, although seeing as the 9" springs on yours seem to have the plenty of adjustment each way I think I'll be ok.

Thanks, sorry for the hijack but I'm sure others will want to know the same :(

Stu

Edited by stuart

Goliath

I don't know if my inserts are the same length as yours tbh. I lowered the car down onto its own suspension a couple of days ago and it is currently runnin just about bang on standard height but the spring seats are wound up to near the top, so I have loads of adjustment to lower it down, hopefully today I will get a chance to lower it down about 2cm to get the desired ride height. I don't have the problem of them coming loose on full extension either, they are still seated fine but then that is with them wound up quite high at the moment.

hexhamstu

Surely the v6 will mean that it will sit lower than your car stuart?

welshpug

yes, quite a bit!

dcc

with a 45mm drop on those old billies when it was first driven that night, it did sit about 3mm from the floor!

stuart
Surely the v6 will mean that it will sit lower than your car stuart?

That's quite true...thanks for the replies anyway, some food for thought.

It'll be interesting to see how the v6 affects the handling, always fancied doing the conversion, for the sound alone :)

Goliath

Well lots more progress has been made :D All the large jobs are finished, it is now running fine, driving fine, taxed, insured and fully driveable!

Some of the smaller jobs to be done in the short term are,

Get the tracking sorted,

Find out why the dash bulbs don't work and make them work!

Get Mei to wire in my Rev counter,

Change the seats over to the full leathers,

Put the 21mm torsion bars in the rear beam,

So quite a lot to be getting on with :)

Something else I have decided to tackle is the Sound deadening, not ripping it out to save weight but infact adding more to improve comfort.

I have got quite used to driving the focus now which is obviously very sound proofed inside and have decided I don't like the way my 205 rattles and bangs over every bump quite so much! I'm not going to go mad but just want to eliminate a little more of the road noise.

I set to work removing the old, damp sound deadening from the boot and replacing it with some that I had lying around.

I cant get the pictures to upload onto photobucket at the moment, but as soon as I do they will be posted here :D

Galifrey
Something else I have decided to tackle is the Sound deadening, not ripping it out to save weight but infact adding more to improve comfort.

I have got quite used to driving the focus now which is obviously very sound proofed inside and have decided I don't like the way my 205 rattles and bangs over every bump quite so much! I'm not going to go mad but just want to eliminate a little more of the road noise.

I would like to do this on mine, planning to use some rubber washers to help eliminate some of the dash rattles as well.

Anthony

Good to hear that you've (mostly) got to the bottom of the electrical gremlins :)

Find out why the dash bulbs don't work and make them work!

Have you forgotten to plug the dimmer back in under the steering column? If that's unplugged, you have no dash backlighting at all (but all the warning lights work fine)

Goliath
Good to hear that you've (mostly) got to the bottom of the electrical gremlins :)

Have you forgotten to plug the dimmer back in under the steering column? If that's unplugged, you have no dash backlighting at all (but all the warning lights work fine)

No, the dimmer is in place and successfully dims and brightens the 'backlights' behind the heater controls, which is odd. I havent had a good look at it yet, that's a job for later in the week :D

thirdtimelucky

When you coming down to take me for a spin in it then :rolleyes:

Have a look at your local carpet shop, they might sell foam soundproofing underlay, Iv used it in the past its fairly cheep and its not too heavy.

Goliath
When you coming down to take me for a spin in it then :D

Have a look at your local carpet shop, they might sell foam soundproofing underlay, Iv used it in the past its fairly cheep and its not too heavy.

Soon :rolleyes:

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking of using that roll on sound proofing paint for the inside of the rear quarters and doors but cant find anywhere that sells it.... :blink:

Alastairh

Wheres the pictures? :blink:

swordfish210

Nice work George, i'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime.

Edited by swordfish210

Tesstuff
Soon :blink:

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking of using that roll on sound proofing paint for the inside of the rear quarters and doors but cant find anywhere that sells it.... :D

George, we used liquid soundproofing on my v6, you can even put it in a spray gun and get where the paint brush can't.

It came from Noisekillers who are very highly respected in that field.

Only needs one coat, but we did two just to make it extra quiet :lol:

Edited by Tesstuff

Goliath
George, we used liquid soundproofing on my v6, you can even put it in a spray gun and get where the paint brush can't.

It came from Noisekillers who are very highly respected in that field.

Only needs one coat, but we did two just to make it extra quiet :lol:

Ah cool, i'll get some from them then! I don't have a decent enough compressor to spray it on so will just roll it on for now.

Wheres your V6 thread? :blink: Get one up so we can see the progress.

Goliath
Wheres the pictures? :lol:

On my phone :D tried uploading them to photobucket but it wouldnt work, gonna try again now!

Nice work George, i'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime.

Cheers Mark, i'm sure you will see it in not too long :blink:

Goliath
Wheres the pictures? :rolleyes:

Success!

Here some of the boot underlay that I have replaced. I will get some exterior shots of it now its finished tomorrow as i'm out all day today!

Old stuff

DSC00065.jpg

Whipped out and given a clean,

DSC00066.jpg

New stuff in place,

DSC00067.jpg

Extended to underneathe the rear seats for added deadening. I would have put it all the way under but my roll wasn't long enough.

DSC00068.jpg

BusEngineer

Was just wondering where you get Noisekillers liquid sound deadening from??

Sorry for the hijack :rolleyes: