• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

[engine_work] Project Six Pack

Goliath

Some more pictures for you all :ph34r:

EDIT: the engine looks a little wonky as there is no top mount on atm! Its at the machine shop being measured up for a single piece one to be made.

DSCF3528.jpg

DSCF3529.jpg

DSCF3527.jpg

DSCF3526.jpg

Nice Work bet there faces were a picture when you plated your right foot,

what happened to the turbo lump you just fancied a something a little different for the eurotrip looks quick enough in the vids look forward to the pics and your opinion on the handling etc

Enjoy the fruits of your labour now mate

Gary

The turbo lump was to difficult and too much trouble to get it running in time for the trip.

TBH its easier if I just say I don't know what the handling is like as I havent been throwing it into any corners, with a base model rear beam and standard front struts its not going to be any good! I will give it a thrash once I have coilovers and a rebuilt beam on it :ph34r:

Edited by Goliath

Lan
TBH its easier if I just say I don't know what the handling is like as I havent been throwing it into any corners, with a base model rear beam and standard front struts its not going to be any good! I will give it a thrash once I have coilovers and a rebuilt beam on it :ph34r:

fair dues, looking very swish good luck with the rest of the build, what coilovers are you going for?

DrSarty

How many cable ties George?

And with regards to our 'races', as George said we only had two, and the first was his cheeky creep up and past (with me thinking it was a 1.6 8v) and me trying to do him in 5th, and being rather gobsmacked. Hence Dan's expression and phrase "that's bloody quick for a 1.6". :o

:)

When we did a radio coordinated side-by-side - where I asked them to be in 5th and me in 4th - I held him neck and neck up to silly speed before I ran out of clear road way into 3 figures, and Dan had to let me in. Only afterwards did Dan confess he was in 4th too, so I felt a little better and kinda proud of my little 4 pot. B)

welshpug

Dan is a sneaky bugger :)

Tesstuff
Dan is a sneaky bugger :)

+1 B)

dcc

I have to be honest - I think it was barely in the 3/4 part of its revrange when I backed off for you.

How come I'm the sneaky bugger!

On paper, Rich's engine is far more impressive than people think! 240bhp and the same torque as the v6! (ok 1 unit difference!) which is quite insane for a 4 pot engine!

Goliath

Got a couple of video's uploaded to youtube now.

The roll on in a tunnel:

The speedo video:

I haven't yet done a 30-80 test, I will do soon though.... I will get a 0-100 speedo video too :(

Rob Turbo

How accurate is your speedo? Are you using all standard v6 speedo drive gubbins?

My speedo is about 10% or more out because of the standard tyre sizes on a 406 being so much bigger than the 306, not too bad at 30mph, and I know how fast I'm going through checking with the satnav, but I'd rather my speedo was reading properly, at the minute I'm racking up a fair few false miles <_<

Goliath
How accurate is your speedo? Are you using all standard v6 speedo drive gubbins?

Not entirely accurate, it is reading about 5% over, so when it is reading 100mph the sat nav is telling me 95mph (who knows how accurate the sat nav is though!)

No I am not using all the standard V6 drive stuff, I can't remember offhand which bits I used, I think I used a pick up cog from a 205 (or v6) and the speedo cable pickup (with 3 pin connection) from a 306.

When hitting the limiter in 5th the sat nav was saying 155mph (which figures as the gear ratios with 406 wheels should mean it will do approx. 160mph), the speedo needle was just trying to snap the trip resetter <_<

Bonzai

Watching the V6 in my rearview mirror coming round some switchbacks on the berchtesgarden road was a bit hilarious, lots and lots of leaning going on, but as said its only to be expected with the suspension spec as it is. I really really hope i get to experience it for myself one day, but at the same time i hope it isnt too good cos i'll only want one for myself <_<

SurGie

Sat navs are always a bit behind the actual speed due probably to the satellite time, so you were going the right speed.

welshpug
Sat navs are always a bit behind the actual speed due probably to the satellite time, so you were going the right speed.

not when you hold it on the limiter for half an hour <_<

• Like 1

dcc

sat navs give you the most accurate reading of speed, rarely are they ever behind, only the very first GPS systems would be slightly behind.

maxi
sat navs give you the most accurate reading of speed, rarely are they ever behind, only the very first GPS systems would be slightly behind.

Seconded, you will not get more accurate reading of speed than GPS. This bollocks about them being behind is utter pony.

Maxi

swordfish210

They just measure distance over a given time, updated once a second is the usual time, so yeah they are pretty accurate.

GLPoomobile

In SurGie's defence, I think he's referring to it lagging if you are accelerating. Even if it is updating once every second, at a high rate of acceleration it will inevitably be lagging behind. At a constant speed it will obviously be accurate.

SurGie

Thanks, my point exactly.

My new tom/tom is always 1 or 2 miles an hour behind on the gti 6 speedo, though it is fairly accurate its not the same as

the cars speedo all of the time.

When i stick to a speed it's still behind by at least 1mph...

Edited by SurGie

Lan

car speedos are inaccurate ;) always out a couple of mph or in a vauxhall out by a lot

Alastairh
car speedos are inaccurate ;) always out a couple of mph or in a vauxhall out by a lot

Also some Nissans. My old Almera GTI was out by 10-15% when in 3 figures.

Emmy Seize
My new tom/tom is always 1 or 2 miles an hour behind on the gti 6 speedo, though it is fairly accurate its not the same as

the cars speedo all of the time.

When i stick to a speed it's still behind by at least 1mph...

Nice thought, just the wrong way round.

Thing is, that the GTI6 speedo is pretty inaccurate, even compared to an hourglas.

I've got a Garmin GPS and it is way behind in both GTI6es I have, but it is spot on in the 205.

I received the ultimate proof of accuracy in form of an ugly black and white photo just lately.

I happend to look at the 205s speedo when all of a sudden a red flash occured from a Golf nearby.

Speedo needle was a mm right of the 40km/h marker, GPS speed was 42 Km/h and the digits on the photo I received said 42 Km/h as well.

Not that I needed to spend 15 Euros on this piece of evidence, though. ;)

Edited by Emmy Seize

Goliath

Hi all,

Thought I would show you all some photos of what I have been slaving over for the past few days...

After having built myself the miami 205 V6 back in april and not used it over the summer, I have made the decision (for a few reasons) to re-shell the engine into my other 205 and at the same time uprate the suspension, brakes and sort all the little problems I had in the old shell.

Cleaned up the bay, put in some new brake lines (my first attempt at brake lines, hence why they don't look very neat!)

DSCF3776.jpg

The two shed's side by side...

DSCF3777.jpg

The engine is in its new home...

DSCF3778.jpg

One of the problems I had was the radiator I used was too big and I couldn't fit the grille on, it looked a bit crap. So this time I have decided to see if I can stick with the 205 radiator, it should give adequate cooling as the the larger one I had overcooled it when in motion (it overheated in traffic but that was due to one tiny fan!).

Plenty of room for a rad :ph34r:

DSCF3779.jpg

Rather close to the front exhaust manifold, there is very little engine movement though so I am hoping this will be ok.

DSCF3780.jpg

It sit's low enough that the grille will fit in place.

DSCF3781.jpg

Bottom of the rad just poking out!

DSCF3785.jpg

I managed to use some spare rubber pipe to make up the required hoses, extra lengths were needed as the 205 radiator has an inlet/outlet each end rather then both on the N/S like the old radiator.

DSCF3784.jpg

Its a tight fit but managed to make it work. (photo take from O'S wheel arch facing forwards)

DSCF3786.jpg

Another 'problem' I had was that I had to run bonnet pins because the slam panel was not up to the job of supporting the bonnet, it has to be cut out to let the engine fit thus losing a lot of its strength.

DSCF3787.jpg

Goliath

So I got thinking and found an old gear rod that looked the right length and strength.

DSCF3788.jpg

Cut the ends off.

DSCF3789.jpg

Welded it in place, hey presto! It feels strong enough but I have yet to try shutting the bonnet, will be interesting to see if the bonnet still lifts at over 100.

DSCF3790.jpg

DSCF3791.jpg

I also started it up today, the first time it has been run in a few months and it started first time and idled nicely.

I will be finishing it off over the next few days, will hopefully make a couple of track days in october.

I have some Brembo 4 pot brakes to go on the front and some Nimrods to go over them. I also have some new suspension on the way, Bilstein grp A coilovers with 240lb springs and adjustable top mounts, 21mm rear torsion bars and AST rear dampers.

I will update as more progress is made :ph34r:

Lan

nice work mate, the car is coming along nicely.

track days should certainly be interesting in it!

taylorspug

Nicely done, reshell was a good idea IMO. Also your brake lines look very good! Nobody ever gets them nicely straight.

Maybe the 240lb springs will be a bit marginal with all the weight over the nose? Time will tell i suppose. People said 225s wouldnt work on my car and its fine. :ph34r:

Goliath

Yeh I can't wait to take it on a track day, was hoping to make the oct 13th one but doesn't look like I will be able to.

There are several advantages to the new shell so all in all a good plan I reckon even though there are a couple of down sides.

I have a feeling I will end up having to use some harder springs, but not sure how well the front and back will match so need to try it out and then make adjustments. It's quite unknown territory!

I filled up the coolant today with the new Rad setup and ran it almost up to temp, the pipe join just off the lower rad take off has burst though as its 2 bits of rubber pipe held together with a plastic sleeve and when the water heated up the plastic sleve went soft and slid out from the hose clip. I will have to find an equivalent metal joiner to replace it with, maybe a 32mm copper straight union.

Welshpug has supplied me with some wires soldered to some 'things' which should make magic happen and make my tacho work, will have to find out how/where to join it to my tacho and see if its a go-er :ph34r:

I keep starting it up just to stand round the back and listen to it burble, I forgot how good it sounds ;)