• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

[engine_work] Project Six Pack

Goliath

Right I think its about time I started a thread on my project. I have bought a v6 from an earlier 406 coupe at a bargain price of £150 delivered :blush: The idea being to fit it into my Miami, as the Miami is my daily driver though I will first be 'trial fitting' it into a cti that is waiting to be scrapped and once its running fine in that i will reshell the engine into the Miami :huh: (in theory anyway...)

Well this is the engine, a few bits removed for cleaning etc...

v6pallet1-1.jpg

Apologies for the blurred pictures, and the distinct lack of pics as I always forget to photograph what im doing!

I have ordered a load of bits that i need like driveshafts, clutch hydraulics, gear lever assembly etc.... Citylink tried to deliver it today but i was out so they should be delivering tomorow :)

I have spent today cleaning up a subframe ready to be cut to fit. I also removed the flywheel ready to try and make an adapter plate to fit a BE3 box, it seems like it will be possible, the hardest bit being the starter motor, I cant yet see how that will fit....

I intend to do this at a fairly quick turn around but realisticly im not sure how long it will take....

jimistdt

Best of luck with that goliath, dont forget the camera!!

Ormy

Sounds fantastic, has this been done many times before? Will keep my eyes on this!

Goliath
Sounds fantastic, has this been done many times before? Will keep my eyes on this!

A couple of times yes, Hilgie's V6 , I know someone else is doing one into a cti but hes not on any forums. also pug1off have done the later engine. I am going for a much more standard look then pug1off, Hilgie is my inspiration :blush:

welshpug

umm, why the BE3 box? surely better to stick the the ML5T? keep the larger clutch and meaty driveshafts.

will look forwards to seeing another project coming along :blush:

Edited by welshpug

Goliath

I am mainly making an adaptor plate to fit a BE3 box because I want to see if it is possible with a view to using either 4wd or being able to use an LSD. I could always run an uprated clutch and GTI-6 shafts or something.

I will first, probably only, be getting it running on the ML5T box and shafts.

AdamVester

sounds like a nice project.. seen it done befor was going to do it myself once but went for the mi16 instead due to engine weight (screw up handeling). looks to be a very tricky job have you thought of ware the RAD is going yet? alot of people put them ware the spare tyer normaly is. didnt no you have to shorted driveshaft till i saw them pics in the link though. keep us posted :blush:

welshpug

Just thinking out aloud here G, but I'm unsure if you could mate a PSA 4wd system to the ES9 engine due to where the transfer case sits and the r/h driveshaft.

also, the PSA 4wd systems arent BE gearboxes.

Goliath

The engine doesn't weigh much more than the GTI-6, about 40-50kgs i think, still I can move it about by myself without too much trouble so its not all that heavy. I will be moving the wishbones an inch forward on the subframe to help with the handling. I will try and fit the standard radiator at the front, in more or less the same place, failing that I will use a Golf mk3 radiator which fits at the front. Im definately not going to faf about putting it where the spare wheel goes!

Yes I will need to get the driveshafts shortened at some point.

WP: yes it will be hard to get it to fit with the transfer case, but iv not got that far yet so we dont worry about that! lol. I swear my 4x4 box says BE3 and has the same fixing points?

Edited by Goliath

Kev-G

ML5T 'box. Shorten the shafts and your away. You can get a slipper for this 'box.

Not sure whether you would get away with 4 cyl shafts given that the 'box sits further to the Drivers side in the V6.

Goliath
ML5T 'box. Shorten the shafts and your away. You can get a slipper for this 'box.

Not sure whether you would get away with 4 cyl shafts given that the 'box sits further to the Drivers side in the V6.

Are you sure you can? If so do you know where from as i have never heard of one!

Miles

Yes the 405x4 and Mi16x4 used the BE gearbox only the T16 used the 605 3L Type of box

Would be intresting to find out about the LSD for the ML box

Goliath

I have been getting on with this yesterday and today, working on the subframe mainly and yes i remembered to take some pictures although having trouble getting some of them onto the PC as the bluetooth is being ghey!(anyone know good free bluetooth software? PM me if so!)

Anyway, I started by cutting all the bits off that need to be cut off, more pictures to follow....

After cutting off the wishbone mounting points I put it upto the engine to see how much needed cutting out,

DSC00215.jpg

A lot by the looks of it, the lower mount needs to be moved to the left by a good few inches, so i have cut that off ready for moving.

My box of goodies arrived today including the gearstick assembley so i attatched the cables to the gearbox to see if its all ok

DSC00226.jpg

Unfortunately there is a problem though, I can only select second gear as the gear stick wont move over to the right at all, looking at it it looks like the shaft the left cable mounts onto on the gearbox is stuck and wont move 'up' like it should, I will have to look into this more but i dont want to force it and end up breaking something!

The photos tell the best stories so as soon as i have them up i will post again........

Edited by Goliath

tom_m

this could be a silly question but why have you removed the wishbone mounts from teh subframe?

Goliath
this could be a silly question but why have you removed the wishbone mounts from teh subframe?

To move them roughly an inch further forward to help with the handling and stability.

Goliath

Had a fairly good day today, been working on the subframe-the wishbone mountings are now welded on exactly an inch further forward. It has taken ages but its looking ok so far.

Same as yesterday I cant get the photos onto my laptop as of yet so you will have to wait a couple of days, I have ordered a data cable though so that will eliminate blooming bluetooth!

I still cant get the gearbox to go into any gear other than 2nd but i have lubed it all up and am hoping that it might free itself up soon... unlikely though, I think i may need a new gearbox :ph34r:

I have also started making the box to house the clutch mechanism., the changeover from hydraulic to cable.

More to come.......

Goliath

My data cable arrived today so here are the pics as promised!

i remembered to take some pictures although having trouble getting some of them onto the PC

Anyway, I started by cutting all the bits off that need to be cut off, more pictures to follow....

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

My box of goodies arrived today

DSC00225.jpg

I have also painted the engine cover to give it a better look i think....

DSC00227.jpg

Bearing in mind its going in a Miami!

platty

That cover looks the dogs danglies.....Im contemplating doing a V6 in a 306 for an every day drive.

Para

Great project good luck with it, as it will be more difficult than you think :) Doing V6 always make me wonder how the car will act after conversion. How much more weight will be in front and how the back of the car will act.

Any experience in driving one ???

Goliath
That cover looks the dogs danglies.....Im contemplating doing a V6 in a 306 for an every day drive.

Pity its broken and the lion is a bit crappy :( I have another one though but i think i might keep that original.

Great project good luck with it, as it will be more difficult than you think :) Doing V6 always make me wonder how the car will act after conversion. How much more weight will be in front and how the back of the car will act.

Any experience in driving one ???

Im sure it will be!although so far it has been quite easy modifying the subframe etc :) I will be interesting to see indeed, there shouldnt be much more weight tbh but i will let you know! Sadly I am not lucky enough to have experiencer driving one!

Pic I missed off earlier..... Refurbed inlet manifold :) shiney!

DSC00235.jpg

Goliath

Time for an update, been getting on as fast as possible but im soo busy atm its unreal. got some bits done though...

Bought this on friday :) (very helpful for fitting one of these engines!)

DSC00252.jpg

Lifted it up readdy to place in the bay for top mount measurements, I know everyone says it.... but geez it does look big with that gearbox on :o

DSC00253.jpg

I know its new but even I'm not that trusting...

DSC00254.jpg

Placed it in the spare shell for measurements. Looks good in there, it is quite a tight fit but shouldnt be too bad :ph34r:

DSC00255.jpg

My angle grinder packed up then so i had to get a new one, but now work is begginning on the top mount (goota replace a cill for an MOT tomorow first though) doh!

platty

Blimey, your only second to me for fitting large things in small openings(so the missus tells me :ph34r: )

I was reading through this topic again last night and wondering how you were getting on. Looks like a nightmare job to be honest. Hats off to you.

Did you buy the hoist new? Im only asking as I'm thinking of hiring one next weekend, although if they're cheap enough I'll buy one.

Goliath
Did you buy the hoist new? Im only asking as I'm thinking of hiring one next weekend, although if they're cheap enough I'll buy one.

Yes i bought it new from machine mart, 1 tonne lifting crane £162 ish, definately worth forking out for one as they are so usefull, not just for removing engines. Its great for getting access to the underside of a car, just lift the whole car up!

danpug

Any updates on this?

jshep205gti

Update us George!!