• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dj_mini

[race_prep] My 205 Mi16 Track / Hill Car

platty

Looks great.

You might have to adapt the expansion tank to distribution block hose as if its like mine, it'll be all over the manifold when you come to connect it.

• Like 1

Batfink

nice radiator - whats it from?

K.

Guest CupraDave

Fantasic build there fella, awesome engine work, cant wait to see pics of the finished article.

I hope mine will look as tidy when it is finished

Your cage looks very similar to the one in my 205 except you have an extra cross brace between the seats and harness bars I dont have

snooks
nice radiator - whats it from?

K.

Looks like the Radtec one but I might be wrong.

Baz

Absolutely fantastic build with great results engine-wise, pure credit to all involved! :wacko:

Have fun Dan!

tracktoy

love to see builds of this quality, so much planning and attention to detail :)

cant wait to see it up and running

Spiky
Iv made a bit of progress on the shell but forgot to take any pics :wub:

Had another small delivery today:

flywheel.jpg

can you pm me a price and who did this?

cheers :D

what cams have you gone for?

Sandy

Cams are custom spec for this particular engine, by John Read.

Spiky

ok cheers :)

Dj_mini

The flywheel is a billet steel one from rich @ lynx on the 306 forum ;)

Well after talking to sandy / john read its was agreed that it would be a wise move to get a baffle kit just to be on the safe side as theres alot of time / money built in to the engine.

So i ordered the peugeot sport kit from france over £300 :o but does look a good bit of kit and came from france in two days! shame uk companies cant give that type of service :)

news001.jpg

Also had my new starter turn up so starting shouldnt be a problem this year as last year with my old engine hot and std starter it wasnt keen on restarting. Iv not weighed the std and the new one so not sure if its any lighter yet

news002.jpg

Not made much progress with the rest of the car as iv been busy with other jobs and with the state of the car at the mo it doesnt look like ill be making it to landow now :(

Spiky

cheers, been looking at his flywheels, was going to ask what people thought of them..lol

i assume they are good then ;)

yeah, good idea with the baffles, fair amount off of cash, but then they are saving a fair amount of cash :)

Miles

They are just a std TTV flywheel which can be bought from loads of places, A tip is make sure you buy the later one's as the early ones where made from a low quality steel and even the clutch face wasn;t flat on the 2 I was given to fit, The face 2 was as rough as well ....

Dj_mini

Time for a small update my man who runs the cnc shop has finished my caliper brackets. Iv had these made as colins set up doesnt use the std 205 hub so the offset is all different and i wanted to change to the std 283mm gti6 disk as there much cheaper than the highspec items B)

With any luck ill have time over easter weekend to make some bigger progress

205nowe001.jpg

205nowe002.jpg

edbar

Baffle kit looks very comprehensive so would say money well spent! All of it looks amazing, keep the updates coming!

Dj_mini

Rite time for an update iv managed a few days to spend some time on the car over the weekend :lol:

Iv got the engine in all my mounts seem to line up ok so with any luck there do the job iv also been busy making the oil cooler brackets and pipes:

205newest004.jpg

205newest005.jpg

I know theres diffrent opinions on how to do the plumbing iv gone for re angling the metal pipe that runs round the rear and blanking off the outlet on it then i welded a union to the stat housing to reduce the pipe size down.

205newest001.jpg

Iv also finished my rear brakes the machinest has cut my brackets and bell's out perfectly iv only cocked up one measurment so will hav another set cut once im happy there work all ok. Im using a bike 4pot caliper and disk they weigh alot less than the standard set up so long as they work ok ill be happy then the time and major pain the ass will be worth it. :lol:

205newest002.jpg

205newest003.jpg

EdCherry

That looks great, what kind of problems have you come across fitting bike calipers? Might be a worthwhile upgrade upfront for some of us running lowly spec engines or standard spec, who are heavy on the brakes.

Dj_mini
That looks great, what kind of problems have you come across fitting bike calipers? Might be a worthwhile upgrade upfront for some of us running lowly spec engines or standard spec, who are heavy on the brakes.

The major probs i had was finding a disk that had a ID bigger than the hub to make it easy to make up the bells the other probelm was getting the set up compact enough to clear the 15" wheels but after LOTS of trapesing around bike breakers i found some. I dont think there be up to the job of any thing else other than the rear of a light car. The aim wasnt to improve the rear braking as that was fine on the std caliper it was to reduce the unsprung weight a bit as they say every bit helps :lol:

Dj_mini

Small update the powerlite starter didnt fit even tho it was sold to me as fitting the xu10 so thats now on ebay :D so i went to brise thay sorted me out a gear reduction starter and custom braket to suit the xu10 it fits a treat and only weighs 2.4kg's :lol:

If all my oil fittings turn up this week then i can fire her up i cant wait B)

str001.jpg

calvinhorse

amazing project!

top work!!

Dj_mini

Rite iv managed to make a lot of progress over the last few days.

Iv made up a catch tank (masive thanks to ian @ dv8 for welding it up so quickly for me) sandy adivsed me to mout on the drivers side if possible as it helps the oil drian back quicker on right hand circuits so this is what i came up with. i just need to get the smaller type oil filter to allow a better bend on the block union.

catch001.jpg

catch002.jpg

After lots of head scratching i couldnt get it to run properly yesterday so i just had to walk away from it B) but on a clear head today iv managed to get it running a treat :lol: it turns out the second fuel pump want lifting correctly to the fuel bowel so with that altered all is well it sounds great cant wait to drive it now B)

Next its off to colin / sandys to have the drive shafts made and final mapping done on the rollers.

Sandy

I don't normally speak publicly about the problems I have with parts quality, but the business of Dan's cam pulleys has tipped me outside my usual discretion.

When we had the engine on the Dyno and I was in the cell balancing the TBs, I noticed the inlet pulley had a very distinct wobble. We stopped the engine and got a dial gauge on it to check the run out; a slightly alarming 30 thou was evident! The exhaust one showed about 10 thou too. John Read showed up and was pulling strange faces at it and assuming there was perhaps an obvious cause for this, we took time out to take the pulleys off and check if there was anything causing the pulleys not to seat on the cams properly; there wasn't anything. I re-fitted the pulleys and re-timed the cams, not an easy task on this engine, because of the valve proximity on overlap, the timing needs to be extremely precisely set and triple checked. Downtime on the dyno is often part of the "fun", but expensive and very frustrating when it's caused by a quality issue beyond your control. We had to continue as it was, because although unacceptable long term, in the short term it was unlikely to be an problem and we had to use that slot to get it done, because of all the other work John, Alvin and I had backed up behind it.

Dan informed the supplier of the issue and they sent out two new pulleys, which they assured him they had checked on their lathe to be true. The old pulleys went back.

I went up to Dan's to fit the new pulleys and time the cams up again, a 280 mile round trip, made slightly easier by seeing the Jacob's, Roser and Mr Hunt of course. I took the new pulleys on trust and fitted them without checking for run out, being a trusting soul.

Dan gets the engine in the car and after overcoming the inevitable initial start up issues, gives me the slightly un-welcome news that there's still a visible wobble, but this time most apparent on the exhaust cam. I spoke to John Read (who supplied the cams), wondering if I was going mad and it was a cam issue, but he pulled more faces and insisted that he'd never seen a wobbly cam end in recent memory; so instead of another epic trip up to Chateau Jacobs, it made sense to wait until the car came back to us, for the final suspension setting up and the mapping check in the rollers.

So today I took the pulleys off again and Colin made a dummy cam end in his Lathe, turned off without moving it, to ensure maximum true-ness and checked it to be sure, no discernible movement on a micro dial gauge. On went the inlet Pulley first, 8 thou run out. Then the exhaust Pulley, 10 thou run out. Not amused.

I'm pig sick of poor quality control (this is just one of many such issues I've had over the last year or so), it costs me my profit and takes the shine off the build for my customers.

Dan's ordered a different make, which hopefully will arrive tomorrow and put this to bed.

EdCherry

I dont see how a manufacturer can get away with something like that, let alone survive. Ive measured run out on brake discs that are warped (out of tolerance atleast!) which are less than all the figures given above. Got to say this is the first time i've ever really thought about a cam pulley having to be so true but I guess it only pops into your mind when you have a problem or hear of a problem with them. Just hope you can get it finished nice and quickly now!

Dj_mini
Just hope you can get it finished nice and quickly now!

I hope so its booked on the rollers for friday :(

I have to agree with sandy on this problem its not only costly to me in time and money it is for sandy but i think theres light at the end of the tunnel now :ph34r:

Spiky

some bad news :(

but hopefully you can have it running soon, and drive it like it deserves :(:ph34r:

Batfink

not good as I supply that particular brand. Could this be a bad batch or is this a flaw in the original design?

Glad it was picked up before any serious damage was caused!

K.