• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dj_mini

[race_prep] My 205 Mi16 Track / Hill Car

EdCherry

Not really related but I found Maniflow in Salisbury the other day... since when did that happen?

Not to far from you mate so you could always go have a word with them :lol:

Dj_mini

Not sure if this is going to work but this is a short clip of the car filmed by the wife:

Im a bit chuffed off with maniflow to be honest as when i took the car to them and explained what i wanted it was "no problem we can do that for you" now iv gone in there an explianed iv failed noise and that its no where near the 95db i asked for there coment was "were stugle to get it down to that with that size of bore and that amount of power"

So iv booked the car in again so they can see if they can improve it a bit.

• Like 1

EdCherry
Not sure if this is going to work but this is a short clip of the car filmed by the wife:

Im a bit chuffed off with maniflow to be honest as when i took the car to them and explained what i wanted it was "no problem we can do that for you" now iv gone in there an explianed iv failed noise and that its no where near the 95db i asked for there coment was "were stugle to get it down to that with that size of bore and that amount of power"

So iv booked the car in again so they can see if they can improve it a bit.

Hope it isnt costing you more for them to improve it?

Love the video, sounds great!

Sandy

It appears the middle two plugs broke down and one exhaust valve burnt from the deposits.

DrSarty
It appears the middle two plugs broke down and one exhaust valve burnt from the deposits.

Why would/do plugs break down then please?

I appreciate this is an uber performance N/A engine, but what would/could be the cause please: CR, leads, HT circuit/coil, fuel octane, wrong plug grade (and why?)?

Edited by DrSarty

oli-pug

Looks el rapido in that vid! ;)

Best of luck getting the issues sorted.

Sandy
Why would/do plugs break down then please?

I appreciate this is an uber performance N/A engine, but what would/could be the cause please: CR, leads, HT circuit/coil, fuel octane, wrong plug grade (and why?)?

Basically it looks like the plug grade not being suitable. It's probably been exacerbated into an issue now by the heat on the day.

I don't really want to enter into a detailed discussion or public post-mortem about it, partly because the finer details of this engine are not something I want everyone to know and partly because I'm sure those who aren't so fond of me are sniggering with glee that I've finally had a failure, albeit a minor one thankfully, and can't wait to tell everyone their speculations on "what I did wrong", which will irritate me a great deal! ;)

edbar

Goes well! Sounds incredible!

Plug issue would be heat?

Hope you get it sorted soon, one hell of a car! ;)

edbar

Judging by all the cars i've seen that you have worked on and that is a few from coopers castle coome festa to this 205 they all have spectacular performance and reliability, but you will always get keyboard warriors wanting to put people down. keep your Head up sandy.

Sandy

Your right and as soon as I hit "Post reply", I thought it was a pretty grumpy thing to say! So please forgive me for being a bit defensive.

I'll shed some more light on this and people can make their own judgements as they surely will! I used 6 grade plugs, as I have in many of my serious track and race engines previously. I have my reasons of course! Obviously until this point, it hasn't been an issue (although we had to change up on Matt's engine to cure a problem) and the plugs have performed as I'd hoped, so I was happy. What's become clear though, assuming it was the source of the issue; is that the plugs were getting too hot in this particular engine on track and were on the edge of the envelope. A regular engine builder at this point will be pulling faces and scoffing about 6 plugs in a race engine, but they would probably respond similarly to alot of the things I do to make a nicer engine, twin injectors for example? ;)

While we're on the subject, my "other failure" from the last Castle Combe Saloons race, was Nick Charles' 1600 throwing a rod out the side rather violently on the main straight. The culprit was a straight rod bolt failure; ARP 2000s, correctly torqued, no oil problems, no binding up or anything, everything else was mint! That's a worry isn't it?!

Dj_mini
Hope it isnt costing you more for them to improve it?

Love the video, sounds great!

Nope iv told them i havnt got what i ask / payed for so there doing it free of charge dave @ maniflow is a nice bloke and has been fine about it so far so hope it gets done with minimal fuss.

Powers

Car looks great and you are finally benefiting from all the hard work. Also I wouldn't worry at all about your reputation Sandy (Malcolm's still saving the pennies for something a bit special!)

What rear brakes were you using before reverting back to the original ones?

Also were you using slicks or R888s?

Kroged

Thats really a hell of an engine you got there! I wonder how much work will be needed to reach the 300bhp mark.

gti_al

Who cares how fast it goes... that sounds amazing!

The car looks great too. We need more pics of it though!

Sandy
Car looks great and you are finally benefiting from all the hard work. Also I wouldn't worry at all about your reputation Sandy (Malcolm's still saving the pennies for something a bit special!)

I'm lokking forward to seeing what he can do with a better engine, he certainly seems to extract everything from what he's got!

Thats really a hell of an engine you got there! I wonder how much work will be needed to reach the 300bhp mark.

I designed it to be around 270-280 with an 8000rpm limit; with a few detail changes and a higher limit, it would be capable of 300bhp, I'm quite sure of that. It's not about breaking barriers though, it needs to be durable and nice to use, hence the rev limit and wide power band.

Tom Fenton

Plugs are an issue I need to address too, on building my turbo 8v I used the standard plugs from a 2.0T engine, to my suprise these were also 6's, I expected something else for a turbocharged car. In any case over the weekend after a long run and everything pretty hot, I've heard it det a couple of times when giving it a squirt on boost, so I'm wondering if the plugs are running too hot and this is the cause. It hasn't been detting before, or at least I don't think it has :D:(

Anyhow on the Mini turbo we run up to 9's, although it can sometimes foul the plugs up from cold, so I'm going to look to go to a 7 or maybe an 8 grade plug and see if this makes any difference on my car.

As for the nay-sayers, the old saying if you never have any failures, then you are never trying anything different to push the envelope. Even the best thought out mods don't always work out, but if you don't try, you'll never know.

edbar

Think that about sums it up tom.

I've been worried about my plugs as i trusted a friend to order them, how can i check what grade they are? Mine is at 11.5-1 comp ratio whats suitable for that?

Tom Fenton

Take them out and look at the part no! Too hot a grade and you can get into trouble with det or melting the plug electrode. Too cold a grade and you may find you foul the plugs up when the car is cold.

edbar

BKR8EIX NGK iridium. Is that suitable?

Tom Fenton

Possibly a bit on the cold side maybe, but certainly safe I'd have thought. Are those what you have in it at the moment? As they are (amongst other things) Cosworth plugs, and what I'm planning to try in mine.

edbar

Yes have them in at the mo, no issues so far, can be a bit tricky to start but no probs really. Starting may be down to the fact of it needs setting up. I want to build a 1.9 turbo engine for the shed next so let me know if you get these and they work.

Sam

I have some NGK race 8 (possibly 9) plugs I was going to use in the so called "dreamer" build I was doing. Cost me about about 50 quid if you're interested. They're platinum blah blah etc.

base-1

Bad news, unlucky :mellow:

Surely you can keep the rear brakes and just change the rear mc for a less lock-up-and-send-you-spinning-wildly-out-of-control sized unit?

Matt Holley

It was good to see this 205 out today, I love it, the noise is awsome and alot of nice touches, overall a very well built car, well done to all involved :)

EdCherry

Yer spotted it today but when I turned around to come over to have a look you'd gone out on track. Saw it again at the end of the day but was heading off, glad to see its back together, how is it?