• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dj_mini

[race_prep] My 205 Mi16 Track / Hill Car

Dj_mini

Had a day off work tuesday due to the snow :rolleyes: so made the most of it and got on and made my pedal box.

Iv nicked a few ideas from spikey's pics thanks chap :wub:

So i revved up my new welder and a few hours latter and jobs a gooden just needs a lick of paint:

willwood001.jpg

Spiky

no probs dude, though i think your angle might be a touch out,

as you need to have the MC rods going straight when pushing the pedal :rolleyes:

so now it will all depend on where you weld the balance bar :wub:

Edited by Spiky

Dj_mini
no probs dude, though i think your angle might be a touch out,

as you need to have the MC rods going straight when pushing the pedal :rolleyes:

so now it will all depend on where you weld the balance bar :wub:

Yeah i noticed that when i put the cylinders in so have had to weld the balance bar tube quite high up the pedal its straight with the rod but im not sure what this is going to do with the pedal feel so im gona try it but i may have to make up another one if it doesnt work well.

Spiky

yeah, trial and error :rolleyes: it's all good fun :wub:

i've actually got to take mine back out, as i shot brake fluid all over it and now it dont look cream (alpine white) any more :D

but it does work very well :lol:

Dj_mini

Lol its only paint :wub:

Iv put it in the car now so im going to put a spare engine in to see what the clearance is like as i could fall flat on my face at that stage :rolleyes:

Spiky

as you've seen from my pics, i have 10ish mm space

my mate "tracktoy" is think maybe we can alter the design of mine and that will give me more clearance, though i've done a track day and no issue, so dont really need too :rolleyes:

Sandy

Well after an absolute epic (as usual) over the final stages of preparation, I finally got the engine on the dyno yesterday. We don't dyno XUs very often so it took a while to make all the necessary connections and once we got it running the oil pressure seemed a bit on the high side. I had no choice but to drop the sump to look at the relief valve, which wasn't easy, being very well stuck on with my faithful Loctite! The pump was a brand new genuine one, but there was a lip on the relief valve piston which seemed to be the issue, so it was dressed a bit and re-assembled. That only left us enough time to do an hour and a bit of running in yesterday.

This morning I started by checking everything was in order, including a final check of the cam timing. With it up and running I mapped progressively through the load and speed ranges building up towards the more stressful areas of the map. It was clear early on that the mid range would be good; before trimming the ignition it was already making 180lbft at 5000rpm!

Mapping over 6000rpm is a very noisy and stressful business on any engine, but a fresh one that I've built myself is especially worrying. Before long we were seeing peak torque of 204lbft (corrected DIN) at 6500rpm, which at over 93lbft/litre is very pleasing, not exactly a spike either with over 180lbft from 5000-8000rpm. It took some careful trimming of the AFR to see best power, which peaked at 281bhp (corrected DIN) at 7500rpm. It was still wanting the same fuel at 8000rpm, but power was slightly lower at 277bhp, so it'll probably peak higher with some miles on it, John designed the cams to work up to 9k, should the extra range be wanted, but in the interest of longevity, 8k seems a prudent limit and we didn't go higher than that, because it barely has 3 hours running on it yet.

This build has been a long and intense process which started last July. I don't build many engines and it's a big deal for me everytime! Above all I have to thank Dan for his faith and patience. I also must gush a bit to give credit to the essential people who've helped:

Colin Satchell for the fabrication and generally being married to me without the benefits

John Read for the brilliance of his technical input and crucial experience, I'm very lucky to have his help, he has as much ownership of this as I do!

Mark Shillaber, Neil Shilling, Pete Willis and the others who have helped.

Alvin Powell for the final throes and the suppliers.

Here's the graph of the dyno results, I've put a trace of Dan's last engine (from the rolling road mapping) to give it some scale.

DJmini22Graph.JPG

jordGTI

bloody hell thats impressive

Sandy

Thanks Jord, i'm thrilled with it!

Some pics from the last couple days:

About to go on the dyno...

DJ25.JPG

On the dyno.....

DJ26.JPG

DJ27.JPG

DJ28.JPG

Dj_mini

Top effort sandy i know the past few days havnt been easy for you!

I must say thanks to sandy as he goes way above the average engine builder much appreciated mate

Cant wait to get it in the car now B)

taylorspug

Extremely impressive, im not suprised you are chuffed! Exhaust manifold looks nice, does it fit inside the standard exhaust tunnel? Also how much would one have to pay for such a manifold?

Interesting the problems you had with the oil pump too, not the sort of thing you expect with OE parts...

Dj_mini
Extremely impressive, im not suprised you are chuffed! Exhaust manifold looks nice, does it fit inside the standard exhaust tunnel? Also how much would one have to pay for such a manifold?

Interesting the problems you had with the oil pump too, not the sort of thing you expect with OE parts...

The tunnel had to be "tapped" just a bit to get a bit more clearance :lol: Maniflow charge £450 +vat for custom manifolds but im glad it was worth it!

Miles

That should make you a bit quicker!!,

Just a note thou, Is the TTV flywheel the later revised version using better quality steel as the early ones where not upto the job.

welshpug

Ready for Llandow?

Sandy

The oil pump issue was annoying, but the sort of problem I can handle without getting too emotional! I don't know about the flywheel, Dan sourced it, the dowel hole needed fettling to fit.

edbar

Absolutely AWESOME! Thats an absolute monster. A massive well done to sandy and all involved, Bet you cant wait to drive it Dj!

Spiky

that is VERY VERY impressive :lol:

i certainly dont want to meet you on track..lol you will make me look VERY stupid..lol

would love a ride in it though :lol:

Dj_mini
That should make you a bit quicker!!,

Just a note thou, Is the TTV flywheel the later revised version using better quality steel as the early ones where not upto the job.

Not sure on the flywheel as sandy said iv had fitting problems with it so rich sent me another but that is the same so theres clearly a problem so i hope to sort this out with them and get the revised material at the same time.

Ready for Llandow?

Hope to be ready just a bit of work to do :( then back down to colin / sandy for trimming on the rollers and suspension set up. alot still to do and buy but i will give it a dam good go

Almost forgot, Poor gearbox

Im going to test your gearbox thats for sure miles B) but im sure its up to the job now :lol:

that is VERY VERY impressive

i certainly dont want to meet you on track..lol you will make me look VERY stupid..lol

would love a ride in it though

I shouldnt worry about that as the slowest thing with the car will be me all being well :) As long as im not plagued with problems like i was last year with my previous engine i will be happy i have total faith in sandy that this wont happen as iv always been verry impressed with his work.

taylorspug
The oil pump issue was annoying, but the sort of problem I can handle without getting too emotional!

You sure you didnt have a little cry?! B):)

Sandy

Not this time LoL! But it can happen!

taylorspug

Lol, i know what you mean! Out of interest, what sort of pressure were you seeing with the stuck relief valve?

Sandy

125+psi, off the scale.

Dj_mini

Rite iv been pottering around in the garage today so iv taken some pics of my progress:

Int nearly together when pushing the rubber on the screen i broke one connection for the heated screen ;) but iv managed to get a small drop of solder and it seems to hav held so i hope its goin to still work :)

205brown001.jpg

Iv also got a bit more of the front end done.

Iv made up the strut brace and a new cradle to hold the rad so can remove it easly

205brown002.jpg

Plane

Excellent attention to detail. Lovely build.