• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[engine_work] 2.0 Turbo Cti Project Begins

M@tt

Well today with the help of returnofjim we made a start on my turbo CTI project by attempting to rip out the 2l turbo lump from the citroen XM that i've bought off him

As with all pug related projects it didn't go strictly to plan and took alot longer than anticipated.

Jim had already made a good start on removing alot of the unnecessary ancillaries so that we had more room for working as were were planning to drop it out without an engine crane. However the XM comes with an autobox which is absolutely massive, and after several hours of struggling and also dealing with rusted and rounded exhaust manifold bolts came to the conclusion that this bad boy isn't coming out without an engine crane as its impossible to drop it to the ground as it catches the girder like subframe and there is no room to swing it to the side.

Anyway we will be attacking it again with an engine crane shortly and hopefully hopefully have that bad boy out. which will allow me then or strip it down and give it a going over aswell as replace the timing belt,water pump etc.

Anyway here's a few pics

DSC00465.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

Tried "pursuading" a rusted exhaust flange bolt to shear off

DSC00459.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

The massive AUTO box

inferno

nice! i remember taking my first xm engine out with auto box, fortunatly i had use of a fork lift and angle grinder:P

did you keep the xm panels intact? there hard to come by now and ebay may be your freind :)

returnofjim
nice! i remember taking my first xm engine out with auto box, fortunatly i had use of a fork lift and angle grinder:P

did you keep the xm panels intact? there hard to come by now and ebay may be your freind :lol:

All the panels are really good apart from the front wings where i kinked the lip on the arches after getting mad with the plastic arch covers :ph34r:

That auto box is horrible, im either going to get a engine crane or chop the subframe with the grinder to get it out!! havent decided yet. I took a turbo lump out of a 605 with a manual box on and that was a piece of cake, it virtually threw itself out, this is a different matter completely. Now i know why the xm is alot heavier than the 605 :)

M@tt

Right well today was take 2 in the attempt to remove the turbo lump from the XM.

We still didn't have a crane, instead we were cleverly armed with angle grinders, hacksaws and BFO hammers (essentials in any peugoet owners toolkit!!)

So here's a little photo blog of how we got on...

Here what we were faced with the engine pretty much resting on the mammouth subframe

001800x600.jpg

So out came the angle grinders and we chopped our way through the subframe on both sides as well as undoing the bolts that secured it to the front chassis legs on either side

002800x600.jpg

Jim also cut the front part off as well which allowed us to swing the gearbox out. (Remember to wear google kids! your eyes are for life not just for christmas ^_^)

006800x600.jpg

with the subframe removed and the car lowered to the ground it was simply a case of swinging it out

007800x600.jpg

and there she is 1x150bhp 8v turbo lump destined for my little CTI :rolleyes:

011800x600.jpg

and then I transported her home in the back of my mi16 :D I had to remove my mud flaps as she was scraping too low. I then had a hell of a job getting her out of the boot on my own but cunningly managed it using a scaffold plank, the scientific principle of levers, one foot and my groin (not necessarily all in that order)

016800x600.jpg

so now its ready for its overhaul.... watch this space

Edited by M@tt

sonofsam

Are you sure that's and RGX, looks like it need's an Mi top mount to fit?

Sam.

GLPoomobile

You transported that engine in the back of your lovely, rebuilt GTi! Are you mad? And you heaved it out on your own :D I'd have been soooo paranoid about denting the boot floor or marking the paint :rolleyes:

inferno

its an rgy, iirc no rgx's to be found on xm's...

so 139bhp but dont really matter... boooooooost baby!

M@tt

what's a RGX then? 147bhp or 142bhp?

according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_XU_engine#XU10

I'd have been soooo paranoid about denting the boot floor or marking the paint

TBH i was very very careful, i had loads of cardboard and car mats protecting everything! and the plank trick worked quite well although i looked a bit of a nob trying to press a scaffold plank down with one foot whilst holding the engine upright at the same time :rolleyes:

Edited by M@tt

returnofjim
its an rgy, iirc no rgx's to be found on xm's...

so 139bhp but dont really matter... boooooooost baby!

Well i wouldnt be bothered if its an rgx or rgy, the main thing is you have the head, turbo, manifolds, loom, ecu etc

M@tt

Right, bit of an update..

Last week i collected all the bits from GSF for rebuilding the XM (timing belt, HG, gaskets, oil stem seals, waterpump) so yesterday after the rolling road session i set about removing the engine out of the CTI, as always it took alot longer than planned and things didn't go as smoothly as i would have liked.

One of the hub nuts was refusing to budge and the shaft was spinning depite the box being in gear and the other wheel firmly on the ground. In the end i had to remove the strut with driveshaft attached and i took it down my local Kwik-Fit this morning where the guy whipped it off for me with his impact gun.

I managed to get the engine out the car on my own which i was quite impressed with although my hands weren't thanking me today as they are bashed to fook.

The mission

DSC00493800x600.jpg

Engine lowered using a short scaffold plank and a trolley jack

DSC00492800x600.jpg

The car was jacked up as high as possible so that engine could be slid out underneath. The engine needed tilting back and only just cleared

DSC00489800x600.jpg

Job Done

DSC00490800x600.jpg

So today it was on with the XM engine rebuild. ReturnOfJim had lent me his engine stand but there was no way i could get the cast iron XU10 block mounted on it on my own (despite trying)

I had to remove the big auto gearbox drum from the flywheel but this proved more difficlut than anticiapated. The drum is held on by 3 bolts which are only accessible 1 at a time in the gap at the bottom of the engine. Unfortunately the gap between the bolt head and the sump was not sufficientto get a socket and wrench in between and because the head of the bolt is quite shallow my swan necked spanner wouldn't grip it properly as it has a slight chamfer on it (ie the teeth aren't right up to the face). So this meant that i had to remove the sump which meant oil going everywhere as i couldn't drain it properly :P

The offending bolts

HPIM1322800x600.jpg

The drum almost off

HPIM1321800x600.jpg

i managed to get the head off with no issues although the crank pulley bolt does not want to budge and i think this mak have to be another imapct gun job as there's no really good way i can stop the crank from turning now whilst i'm trying to apply some pressure.

On removing the head i was pleased to find the cylinders and HG in good condition.. There was no lip in the bores and the head showed no signs of pitting, result.

HPIM1320800x600.jpg

HPIM1319800x600.jpg

HPIM1318800x600.jpg

That's it for now, after 5 hours today i was cold and hungry so left it but will probably be back on it next weekend.

Matt

sonofsam

What was the mileage on that Turbo engine M@tt? :)

inferno

those three tourque converter bolts... ive done 2 of these conversions with xm engines and neither of them needed the sumps removing... iirc i used a crank ended spanner on them, but i do remember them being tight.

Jrod

You really need to buy an engine crane. :huh:

steve@cornwall
You really need to buy an engine crane. :huh:

Softy :)

M@tt

well a bit of a long over due update.

After giving the head and the sump a cleaning in the dishwasher yesterday, today i set about rebuilding the engine.

First task was to lap the valves into the valve seats.

(right a lapped valve, left still to do)

DSC00226.jpg

Shiney valve face

DSC00228.jpg

After an hour or so all 8 were done

DSC00235.jpg

Next was to refit the valve springs and collets

DSC00236.jpg

Then remount the camshaft

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

Pop the headgasket in place

DSC00239.jpg

finally bolt it together

DSC00240.jpg

was quite pleased with the progress i made and really enjoyed doing it, it certainly beats doing it outside in the freezing cold with the engine still in the car :)

danpug

Looking nice and clean!

stue205mi16

you put the head in the dishwasher???? bet your mum was well chuffed :wacko: looks an interesting project though,wish i had the time,money,space and patience to do something like that :lol:

M@tt

I'm a proper grown up now and have a wife and everything :wacko:

I bribed the missus by allowing her to watch "America's Top Model" which i usually ban from being on!!

stue205mi16
I'm a proper grown up now and have a wife and everything :D

I bribed the missus by allowing her to watch "America's Top Model" which i usually ban from being on!!

:lol: sorry mate :wacko: as my old dad used to say "bribery is the best policy" :P

DaveW

So Matt is this going to be quicker than Henry's? :wacko:

M@tt

ooh now that's really throwing the handbag/gaunlet down :wacko:

Edited by M@tt

welshpug

I hope that engine's going to be painted :rolleyes:

Henry Yorke
ooh now that's really throwing the handbag/gaunlet down :blush:

I am the only gay in the village!! :rolleyes:

2Daffyd-CTI.jpg

lol!

danpug
:rolleyes::blush:

M@tt

another mini update,

I've spent a few evenings this week working on the engine. I first of all gave the block a coat of Black Hammerite to stop it rusting and also hide all the oil and crap that will eventually cover it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...ne/DSC00241.jpg

I then carried on cleaning up and mounting the remaining parts such as the inlet manifold, engine mounts, alternator and turbo, giving everything a good clean with white spirit, rags and a toothbrush till i could get stuff as clean as i could :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...ne/DSC00245.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

On cleaning the turbo i noticed that the metal coolant pipe had a large hole it, fortunately it just screws off and so a replacement one can be fitted, very kindly RobTurbo is giving me an old one he has knocking around so that should arrive this week so i can refit that and get the turbo remounted. The rubber hose that attaches to it is also slightly damaged but its only right at the end so i can cut the damaged bit off and there is enough give in the pipe for it still to be clamped up securely.

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

I also decided to give the rocker cover a lick of paint. It's not the best job in the world as the first attempot of just spraying the red paint onto the bare metal didn't take very well and so i had to sand it back, go get some primer, give it a coat of primer then apply the red coat again.

DSC00259.jpg

Today i thought i'd have a bash at fitting the wiring loom in place as most of the other things are now in place.

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

again i gave all the connectors a good clean with white spirit to make sure there was no oil or crap contaiminating them. It all seemed to plug in nice and easily with the exception of the oil temperature sensor which doesn't seem to fit into its commector properly. It has to be the right connector as its really the only one left

DSC00266.jpg

There's only 2/3 connectors i'm not positive what they are as i dont have anything else that they plug into

1. this is on the cambelt end, and i think it might be earth wires (as they are green)

DSC00263.jpg

2. this is on the gear box end of the loom quite close to the connector that plugs into the main power distribution block. I'm not quite sure whether anything can infact plug into the weird little black box thing pictured, any ideas?

DSC00264.jpg

Its then just a case of connecting up the 205 loom wires to the appropriate ones in the big multipin connector. Fortunatley i have got the other side of the connector as well and about 6 inches of wires coming out so i plan on soldering and heat shrinking the 205 wires onto that so that it can be unpluggable.

Also i assume this is the VSS(vehicle speed sensor)

DSC00262.jpg

i can see that the other end of it plugs into the standard diff housing on the gearbox just like normal, but i wonder what people have done about getting the speedo cable to attch into the top of it as obviously it looks like the XM one is threaded but the 205 one isn't

Thats about it, any help with those few queries much appreciated