• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sonofsam

[car_upgrade] 2.0l Turbo Conversion With A Euro Rallye Flavour

sonofsam

Well now, it's been nearly two years since I started this Topic, and the 205 Turbo's been road legal

for just under a year now! MOT again next week, doesnt time fly when you're having fun.

Must be just over two and half years since I bougth the car and engine from profits of an Akai sampler that I sold for £600, paid £300 each respectively for the car (off some dodgy geezer in Brighton) and the engine from Cit-ren limited, as found off the parts-gateway.

The 205's been driven everyday since it passed it's first MOT with me, and I must say it's been a pleasure so far, never failed to start (started atleast 3 or 4 times daily) and given plenty of stick on the roads, took me a while to get used to all that torque to begin with though. The power delivery in every gear is so smooth, and the only things I've had to replace on the car has been the boost solenoid and a wishbone, as I was a bit silly in using a ball joint splitter on the ball joints during the build, splitting the rubber boot in the process and making the ball joint spill all it's grease.

Two front tyres will need replacing though for the oncoming MOT, so Im going to sell the MO's

on and fit some nice white speedlines with the Uni-royal rainsports again.

Have been plugging away at the bodywork lately, trying to dodge the rainy season (or summer as us Brits like to calli it) has been a bit eventfull to say the least. With no garage to work in. Wet flatting has taken on a new meaning that's for sure!

Plus not wanting/allowed to mess up the drive at our rented accomadation, wich means

skirting back and forth to my Mum (god bless ya Ma) and using the 205 to get to work in the week.

Basically started at the top with the roof as there where some rust spots that needed treating

and a few dents to fill, thought I would de-aeriel at the same time as I dont use teh radio, much

prefer TurboFM ..

Once the roof was sorted worked my way down towards the arches wich needed a little attention

to make them spot on, note to any one doing this: Don't use normal filler to fill where the arch meets the bumper, it will crack! So i used some flexible sikaflex sealent to do the job (not the same stuff I used to stick them on with though) but can still be sanded and painted.

Spraying primer can be done outside, I used a box with a hole in the bottom to act as a mobile

mini spray booth.

Moved onto the holes that were left from the GTI trim next in the rear quarter panel, just a case of

plugging the hole from the back with some small tabs of alu and sticky sikaflex, then a skim of filler

over the top. The doors were my main concern as the little rivets would need grinding down and

holes filling, so I thought it maybe best to fit doors of a lower model 205, wich eventully found

in the local breakers for £50, plus an afternoon to fit them, and saved alot of filling and sanding.

Plus they are alot straighter then the GTI doors that where previously on there.

A louvred auto bonnet came up for sale on here, so thought I'd grab that as it was a really good price, cheers Bonez.

Still more work to do though before the paint job, wich hopefully is getting done locally through a mate of mate sought of thing, fingers crossed I can get all the prep finished before the dark evenings set in, and get it towed or drive it down to the sprayers.

Smooth boot panel to bond on, Bumpers need GTI trim hole filling and painting black, so do wing mirrors and handles etc ..

Then it will be onto the finishing touches, not decided on side repeater colour yet (smoked or clear)

Going to make some perspex rear quarter windows, to go with my non tinted door windows now. Sticky bonnet number plate and possibley some driving lights to replace those vents I made?

Yeah, so this is where Im at right now. I know it loooks bad (lol) but it had to get ugly before it can start to look beautifull.

Cheers for reading and any comments welcome as per usual :)

Sam.

post-6977-1188836910_thumb.jpg

tom_m

lol keep it as is, go for the 'rat' look :)

no seriously, looks like its coming along nicely dude :D

sonofsam

lol, well the primer does match the bonnet some what!

MOT booked up for Tuesday and the new tyres and Speedlines are going on today :D

Couple of weeks I think she will be ready for a nice paint job B)

Banjo

Slam it on some of these!! :D

th_line816_pol_blk.jpg

sonofsam

MMMmmm nice rims, funny you should say that actually! My mate has some TH's that Im trying to get off him before he sells his saxo.

sonofsam

Well the quest to get a car passed an MOT first time is for evermore. She failed on just a measly CV gaiter :lol:

The 'rat' look however is complete with a set of 'riding dirty' speedlines (Cheers though Jrod;)

Must say the feel of the car is alot better compared to those 16"s. Feels more slutty in the corners now, lol.

I think a set of those Ronal Turbo's would seriously break the bank right now :D

craig f90

I've recenly painted a set of those wheels in brilliant white to go onto a 2.016v track nova, The car was a dark blue, really looked nice. (wheels NOT the nova <_< Congrats on just a Cv boot, MOTs are much harsher now. :(

edthedrummer

is this car still getting a T16 kit? or have i got confused somewhere?

sonofsam

Nope, no T16 kit anymore. That was the original plan to fit one of those, however after

being on the Forum for a while I realised the error of my ways (lol) and spent the money more

productively on the engine, suspension and a few go faster bits for later on.

Just bought 3 litres of Peugeot Indigo Blue Cellulose and am organising to have the car sprayed this weekend at the minute

@ my friends lock up locally. He is a sprayer and his skill's looks good from what I've seen of His work.

All the prep is done now, fully scotchbrited the body on His request and shall be driving the car a few miles

down the road to his lockup Friday afternoon to be stripped there and hopefully we can both mask it up

and get a base coat on that day and spray the Blue on Saturday and bring her home sunday.

Where I'll have the bumper holes filled and smoothed and mirrors etc blacked ready to go back on

that evening hopefully. Also cut my own Perspex rear quarter windows ready to fit with base model rubbers.

So fingers crossed the next update my 205 will be all up and painted and looking like a proper car again!

:D

sonofsam
ABCD0012.jpg

welshpug

very very nice! so is 3 litres enough paint to do the whole outside? or did you do more?

sonofsam

Nope, 2 litres mixed with the appropriate amount of thinners was enough to give the main body 3 coats plus door/boot/bonnet shuts, valances and

inside the boot too!

ABCD0013.jpg

1 week till I can cut and polish it! Will be the first time in along time since I've had to do that!

Im chuffed to bits with it, for a £300 including paint spray job He's done bloody marvelously :angry:

TeCh2pe

Astounding! No more to say! Looks pretty great! :rolleyes:

tom_m

DAMN! i love it when a plan comes together! :rolleyes:

sonofsam

:unsure: If you have a problem, if no one else can help you, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire a backstreet sprayer.

Cheers Lads! :)

Headling

well done sam! it looks great!!

Jrod

Just seen this Sam,

Looking good, alot better than the rat look before. :)

cybernck

^ lol, agreed!

however, i do think that on a rallye-looking car, the bumpers have to be done in a body-colour.

each to their own though :).

keep up the good work!

taylorspug

I agree that the bumpers need to be body colour, and i also prefferred it on the Comp wheels too, again probably more in keeping with the rally theme.

It looks good anyway, nice to see a long term project project getting finished (even tho they never are lol) and achieving what it set out to! B)

sonofsam
^ lol, agreed!

however, i do think that on a rallye-looking car, the bumpers have to be done in a body-colour.

each to their own though B) .

keep up the good work!

Yep I will, by driving Her everyday! My weekend's working on her are on hold for while now wich is in need! Just bought a flat in need of decoration :D Although I can see an engine build happening in the not to distant future, in the front room..The Missus has agreed.. :oB):D

Bumpers will stay black and the Comp's in the garage for now. :P

craig f90

Sam, a huge CONGRATULATIONS is in order. she is beautiful!!! Just keep waxing her and she will shine like a new penny. I love it. :)

Edited by craig f90

sonofsam

DVC01530.jpg

Now, where did I put that Eprom :):huh:

oliver17491

hi im thinking of doing htis conversion to my miami blue 205 gti, just wanted some info if thats ok.like:

what engine mounts used, intercooler size, etc

thanks oli

danpug

Has anybody put a standard engine on aftermarket management and have any results?

sonofsam
hi im thinking of doing htis conversion to my miami blue 205 gti, just wanted some info if thats ok.like:

what engine mounts used, intercooler size, etc

thanks oli

Would use the search Mate, its very informative now for this conversion, or just read back!

Has anybody put a standard engine on aftermarket management and have any results?

Yes I expect they have, please put up a topic about it in XU mod and performance.

It makes a quick 205 in standard trim, however 1.2bar was a bit mental!

Edited by sonofsam