• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Jenvey Throttle Bodies On The Mi16

jochem
Today's update... finished cutting the backplate out... do NOT want to do that again, it's an ar$e!!

It would have been easy if you had some hss hole drills!

Will you be doing a dyno with and without the airbox? Curious to see what the difference will be.

James_R

progress10.jpg

Where di you get this airbox, looks like a nice bit of kit.

James

Jonmurgie
Will you be doing a dyno with and without the airbox? Curious to see what the difference will be.

Yes, I'll get a run with and without the airbox for comparison :)

James & Mongo - I got the airbox from a company called Auto Teknix who specilaise in Elise upgrades, I just bought the box from him and got the backplate fabricated from their CAD drawing. Here is the airbox: http://www.auto-teknix.co.uk/roadelise.htm. Drop them an email for a price as I got it quite a few months ago and it may have changed...

As an alternative, I spotted that Matt @ QEP has some airboxes complete with backplates and I don't think they were that expensive so perhaps drop him a PM or eMail: http://www.q-e-p.co.uk

Cheers

Jon

Dom9
James & Mongo - I got the airbox from a company called Auto Teknix who specilaise in Elise upgrades, I just bought the box from him and got the backplate fabricated from their CAD drawing. Here is the airbox: http://www.auto-teknix.co.uk/roadelise.htm. Drop them an email for a price as I got it quite a few months ago and it may have changed...

Is that Bernard Scouse's company? The guy that drops the 1.8T Audi engines in the Elise, if so, he is a legend and all his stuff is very high quality!

Keep up the hard work Jon, looking forward to seeing what numbers the car makes!

Jonmurgie

Yes it is mate, he's been really helpfull, even giving me the CAD drawing of the backplate so I could get a blank one make up :unsure:

Next updating coming in the half hour...

Jonmurgie

Right, seeing as I was out all day yesterday there wasn't any progress, so today I set about getting the few fiddly little jobs out of the way and ai mto get the inlet manifold on.

First was to grind away some of the top engine mount so the manifold fits:

progress14.jpg

Then grind away some of the manifold casting so you can get a bolt into the bottom right whole:

progress15.jpg

We had to drill and tap out the manifold for the servo take off:

progress16.jpg

The link arm between the throttle bodies also has to be cut down to length:

progress17.jpg

But with all that done the manifold is now fully fitted to the car:

progress18.jpg

Got to get hold of some pipework from http://www.siliconhoses.com on Monday and tidy up some wires but I'll then get the bodies fitted to the manifold and figure out how to attach the airbox to the back plate!

Loads more of todays pics online here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/jenvey.asp

dee205

Is that the old loom still in the car?

I thought you would ahve been able to rip it out when you fitted the new managment?

Are you running standard cams too?

Damien

Jonmurgie

Yes it's old loom... as mentioned they will be doing the wiring but for now it will just be a 'get it working' job as I have another engine going in a couple of months later :unsure:

That engine is totally standard, full spec here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/spec.asp

Guest BiFf

I get such a strange sense of de-ja-vu looking at those pics :unsure: memories of a VERY long night in my garage in the cold and bombing to Amblers at midnight to have a crack on his Dads laithe as the O rings supplied with the Jenvey kit were rubbish and I managed to muller them. Hooray for Amblers Dad, Hooray for TB's, looking good Jon, I had all the same problems your having now so don't worry if you think it's only you, it's not :)

Your really not that far away from me we'll have to meet up once it's running and compare notes :)

BiFf :)

Sam

The O rings are fine you just need to put a decent amount of oil on them and make sure theres no burr on the ends of the joining pipe, either that or get a custom 1 peice rail :unsure: If you need the o-rings Jenvey send them out for free.

Jonmurgie

I haven't even looked at the fuel rail parts... sounds like a fun job for next week then!!

BiFf, sure we'll meet up sometime when it's all together!

Guest BiFf
The O rings are fine you just need to put a decent amount of oil on them and make sure theres no burr on the ends of the joining pipe, either that or get a custom 1 peice rail :P If you need the o-rings Jenvey send them out for free.

...and there in lies the problem Sam lol. The supplied 'O' rings were very weak and I must have had a little burr left on the ends of the pipe. Still ancient history now the TB's have been on for over a year :o Still love the noise everytime I plant the throttle :D

BiFf :o

TT205
Still love the noise everytime I plant the throttle :P

BiFf :o

Hee hee :o

base-1
...and there in lies the problem Sam lol. The supplied 'O' rings were very weak and I must have had a little burr left on the ends of the pipe. Still ancient history now the TB's have been on for over a year :rolleyes: Still love the noise everytime I plant the throttle :lol:

BiFf :blush:

f***, really?! Doesn't seem like that long ago!

The O-rings are s*ite really, they do the job I guess but you'd expect something less s*ite from a company like Jenvey considering how cheap they are!

Sam

Bad workman blames his tools :)

Jonmurgie

Today's update includes:

Finishing off airbox fixings:

progress19.jpg

Relocated the oil filler... I'd started to put it above the starter using the inlet manifold bracket like others have done but then realised it would get in the way of the airbox ducting... so I used the standard brakcet that held the oil filler to the manifold and bolted that to the front of the thermostat housing:

progress20.jpg

With that done I could final fit the bodies:

progress21.jpg

progress22.jpg

progress23.jpg

All that's left PowerStation can do themselves:

Fuel Rail & Injectors

Throttle Linkage

All wiring

ECU was picked up today from MoTeC... a nice shiny M48... sweeet :)

Oh, I have the catch tank to sort out as well... Forge are sorting one out for me next week but we can bodge one togehter in the mean time if we have to...

So, I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel!!

Sam

At last, its much better when you have a bash at hings yourself, least you know its how you want it....

Jonmurgie

The airbox ducting arrived this morning so I've fitted that to see how it's going to work and it's bloody perfect!!

progress24.jpg

progress25.jpg

Just got to attach the other end securly to the back of the headlight and smooth the edges off... also, going to have to figure out some kind of filter I guess, but will start a new post about that :)

Few more updated pics here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/jenvey.asp

Batfink

could you get a small panel filter to fit inside the stripped headlight???

Sam

Where did you get the ducting? I need something like that for mine :)

Jonmurgie

Sorted out my air filter issues today... in a rather majestic way I feel <_<

Basically I grabbed a Pipercross panel filter for a Subaru Impreza from PowerStation with the intention of cutting it up to fit in the headlight:

progress27.jpg

So armed with a screwdriver and a heat gun I managed to prise the headlight apart and clean out all the sticky stuff:

progress28.jpg

I then set about cutting the panel filter down to size so it fitted neatly inside the headlight back:

progress29.jpg

Then it was just a case of a couple of screws to hold the back and front parts together and bingo, a perfect airfilter for my ducting:

progress30.jpg

I can (and probably will) change the filter anytime so I'm really pleased with that, thanks to one of my boys for coming up with the idea :P

Lots more pics of the air filter work here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/jenvey.asp

Edited by Jonmurgie

crf450

Looks like a good idea <_< , but I'd check that your set up including the filter material will flow enough air for you engine, its surprising how big a panel filter needs to be for any given output. Theres a lot of info on the K+N website which might help you (If this has already been discussed in this thread disregard my post.)

Cheers Martin

Jonmurgie

That's a filter from a Subaru Impreza so flows upto 360bhp and I've only cut off around 1inch from around the outside... so hopefully it will be OK, though I plan on doing some dyno tests to see which gives the best results <_<

Pic of it on the car:

progress31.jpg

Butler

Never seen a keyboard on your desk Jon, its always another bolt on goodie for the pug. lol

Sign in to follow this