• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

[project] Nothing To Do With 205's, But Behold!

M3Evo

Ooh, had a reeeeealy bad hangover on Saturday after we threw a haloween party so haven't managed to do much this weekend.

Have badgered out the spindles, and made one butterfly. Most of the time was spend making the tooling for the spindles, but last time it took a few boring days with a tiny little slot drill to make spindles, this time it took about an hour for all six. Tooling is time well spent!

throttleopenSmall.jpg

throttlefullopenSmall.jpg

throttleclosedSmall.jpg

throttlebitsSmall.jpg

Quite pleased to have a butterfly done as they're some of the most accurate (read time consuming) parts I make. Only five left :)

Typed PWM CONTROLLER into the internet during my hangover yesterday too. It came up with a little 12v 555-based PWM controller which uses a variable resistor as a reference and costs about £2 to make so I might give that a try. Seems it's frequency is set by a capacitor, think you can get variable caps can't you? If so it should make the thing a little more tunable....I hope!

Basically all I want from this PWM controller is to prevent the air divertor from just banging open as soon as the large turbo starts boosting leading to a sudden drop in boost overall. Fingers crossed for the simple solution!

M3Evo

Oh dear. It seems I've been busy today!

The day began at around 11am after I slept right through my alarm. Eager to get on with things I drove over to the parents and started making bits for the not-quite-finished exhaust manifold.

I've been dreading making the Exhaust Divertor Valve (which doubles as the wastegate for the small turbo) but I thought I'd bite the bullet and just get on with it.

Anyone who's tried to machine stainless steel will tell you that it can be a complete bastard as the metal becomes harder the more you work it. If you try to drill it too slowly, it becomes so hard that you can't drill it any more. Try to drill it too fast and the same happens. Drill it with a slightly blunt bit and it hardens. Drill it with the bit turning too fast and it hardens.

Anyway, after much sweating and the repeated sharpening of drill bits / the making of some special super-stiff drill bits this is what I've come up with:

EDVcomponentsSmall.jpg

The channels are for the EDV spindle to run in. I reckon that the step in the larger channel should help prevent too much exhaust gas escaping.

Here's a look down the holes:

EDVspindleholesSmall.jpg

I welded a sleeve into one of the halves of the valve to help seal it (all the connections between the various plates are sleeved) so here's a little pic of the welds:

EDVweldsSmall.jpg

And also made a butterfly to go into the exhaust stream. It's 3mm thick stainless steel which I'm hoping will be resistant to warping given that it will be subject to intense heat when it's open.

It's not quite like the throttle butterflies in that it's just round and it's also quite a loose fit, reason being that I don't want it to expand and jam in the valve assembly.

EDVSmall.jpg

Plan for tomorrow is to make up the spindle and weld that on :)

So, after a stressful (but rewarding) day on the tools, I went back home and sat down for a drink with one of the housemates. Of course one drink lead to another, and another....and before I knew it I became the proud owner of a 1993 740i....oops! I've wanted a V8 engined car for ages and it seems that the booze has made me buy one :wub:

The depressing side is that Brown is being replaced by Maroon now so the journey is finally at an end :(

sonofsam

This is great Alex, really enjoying all these nice machined component pics :) Its making me want two turbos too!,lol

I know exactly what you mean about stainless :wub:

Look forward to more updates, keep up the good work :(

M3Evo

Cheers Sam, would be an interesting project to package two turbos in a 205 engine bay :D

Hooray! Finished the butterfly for the EDV today. It was a fairly long and drawn out process which involved making a jig to hold the two spindles in line, maching two spindles up, welding them onto the butterfly, and then making up some stiffening bridges which were then welded in place.

Here's the result anyway with the assembly:

EDVassembledSmall.jpg

The valve open:

EDVopenSmall.jpg

And the component parts. The step in the longer spindle locates nicely and prevents the butterfly from touching anything that it shouldn't, and I reckon it will give a reasonable seal much the same as the spindles used for normal internal wastegates.

EDVcomponentsSmall-1.jpg

M3Evo

Some more little bits done today and even a little bit of design work.

Here's what the air divertor valve should end up looking roughly like. Unfortunately it needs to be quite compact which is why the facet angle is quite sharp :rolleyes: It's all 3" diameter though so hopefully shouldn't be too restrictive!

ADVAssy.jpg

Here's the bits to make one of the elbows:

StubComponentsSmall.jpg

And lastly one elbow all welded up. Just need to weld on the smaller tube at the bottom and the mounting plate plus clean up all the welds inside (and of course polish it all!)

StubSmall.jpg

StubWeldsSmall.jpg

Will have to try and get up at a reasonable hour tomorrow to get these bits finished!

tom_m

mmm shiney goodness :rolleyes:

sonofsam

I think we should form the " magpie appreciation society" , what da you reckon :D

Hhmm gives me great inspiration for some inlet manifold jiggery pokkery, Alex expect a PM shortly :)

We have a new Polish welder @ work and he's the dogs, doensnt sprecken de Deutch though :P

I've got to see this in the flesh once its done, the work that's going in is just insane! :rolleyes:B)

Couple of lathe pics would'nt go a miss :DB)

M3Evo

Just for you Sam, a little lathe pic :D Do ya reckon we could have our own "shiny things" section? :)

Managed to get up fairly early today and make some more progress. Got both elbows welded together now:

twoelbowsSmall.jpg

Machined out a flange for one of them:

flangeonlatheSmall.jpg

elbowandflangeSmall.jpg

Welded the flange onto one of the elbows:

weldingelbowSmall.jpg

And finally welded the outlet from the large turbo to the inlet of the small turbo in place:

elbowpositionSmall.jpg

Lastly, here's a pic showing where the two elbows will live. Gotta order some material to make the valve section, weld an inlet stub and flange onto the other elbow and finally make up an actuator for it and bob's yer uncle :D

twoelbowpositionsSmall.jpg

Edited by M3Evo

M3Evo

Been absolutely knackered since yesterday's 500ish mile round trip to pick this up

740iSmall.jpg

so haven't made much progress today.

Did however manage to order the bits of silicone hose I need during the week and the good folk of Rally Design delivered on Friday so things are starting to take a more defined shape now:

PartCompleteAirPlumbingSmall.jpg

As a low effort fill-in job, I decided on the size of rim spacer I need to have made up for the front wheels. The offset will eventually end up being 23mm which isn't too far removed from what I should be I think, stand to be corrected on that though.

I'm quite chuffed with the look it should give with this being the front wheel:

FrontWheeloffsetSmall.jpg

And this being the rear:

RearWheelOffsetSmall.jpg

Lastly for today, I tested the old Cossie IC core I was planning to make into the charge cooler for leaks. If you've seen one of these, there are little top-hat pressings pop riveted onto the top or bottom plates. With this particular core, it seems the person who drilled the holes managed to get one a bit wrong as it goes straight through into the core! Presumably this Cossie must have been hissier than most as this hole's definately been there since the IC was made, it's been painted and everything :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to use one of the ones Brown used to wear and hope that's been better made.

Jon_Bmw

Alex you shlagg you get about a bit on the forums don't you :rolleyes:

Give us a link to your 205 turbo project thats yours and your mates.

M3Evo

:wacko: Hey Jon, how ya doing mate? I joined up here when I had a 205 and just never left, I reckon I still have enough of a vested interest in Stu's 205 to justify my being here though :lol:

Link's wwm.mi16turbo.co.uk, haven't done anything to the car in months though :(

Doof

Looking fantastic, i so badly with i had the time / skill / money / equipment to do something that that!

M3Evo

Cheers Doof, to be honest, it's not costing too much to do at the moment (other than in time) and things like the composites and TIG welding I'm learning as I go along.

Had a bit of a trial fit of the plumbing today just to be sure it all goes in, here's the piccies :)

AirPlumbingSmall.jpg

HX27ChassisclearanceSmall.jpg

H1COutletSmall.jpg

HX27outletSmall.jpg

Also meant I could mark out where the compressed air from the small turbo needed to re-join after the ADV, and even managed to finish off the outlet elbow. Just the valve housing and actuator to do now!

OutletstubSmall.jpg

CompleteoutletstubSmall.jpg

welshpug

:) that looks damn great! awesome quality on the manifold :)

this is going to sound very interesting!

M3Evo

Hoping it'll be nice and quiet when the little turbo's doing it's thing, then become louder and louder as the large one starts playing along :D

Hokey dokey!

Finished off (barring a couple of hose clips and things) some throttles for a friend so I'm free for a while to work on Pinky!

Here he is, resplendent in faded BrilliantRot paint :) You have to use your imagination, but he'll look alot better once he gets his carbon bonnet, front wings, sunroof, door skins and boot lid.....and the rest of the metal is painted black! Will also have my nice polished lip staggered offset wheels on too :D

pinkrearquarterSmall.jpg

pinkfrontquarterSmall.jpg

pinksideSmall.jpg

Might delete the side skirts etc. too, not sure yet.

Aren't those 5 spokes shockingly '90s too! :lol:

So, having finished all I could on the ITBs, I turned my attention to the mechanicals of the Air Divertor Valve.

This is essentially just a large diameter (76.5mm) throttle body with a sealed ball race at each end and a brass spindle. The whole thing's about 35mm long so it's fairly compact. Just need to finish off the spindle and drill the body to accept the bolts which will hold the two elbows on B)

Here's the body being counterbored for a bearing. Like a twat I absent mindedly drilled all the way through in a previous operation so I need to make up a sleeve which increases the spindle diameter later on! The centre of the body has been machined out by this point:

BearingPocketSmall.jpg

Here's the blank butterfly bolted to the attachment I use for making butterflies. The blank is just a square sheet of 2mm thick brass with a pair of holes drilled in it:

BlankbflyonattachmentSmall.jpg

Here's the attachment and butterfly on the lathe ready to be machined down to size@

blankbflyonlatheSmall.jpg

And after about half an hour, you end up with one of these:

completebflyonlatheSmall.jpg

Which goes in this assembly:

SpindleandbearingSmall.jpg

To give this:

closedADVSmall.jpg

openADVSmall.jpg

Quite pleased to have got that far with the valve today actually! Will pop back tomorrow for a couple of hours and make a start on the actuators :D

M3Evo

Many thanks indeed guys! :o

Not got all that much done today unfortunately, but hey; it's new years eve....time for booooze!

Just a couple of pics of the ADV assembly, only managed to drill and tap the holes in the valve body which hold the elbows on, and also bore out the part of the elbow with the short stub so that air can get to the inlet of the small turbo :)

ADVoutletSmall.jpg

ADVinletSmall.jpg

ADVassytopSmall.jpg

ADVassySmall.jpg

Just need to go through smoothing off all the welds inside and smooth the transitions between the elbows and the valve body and that's done!

Happy New Year everybody! :D

M3Evo

Well, I gave up on stripping the paint after another couple of attempts today and took instead to sanding the rest off.

Then had a go at filing the existing welds down to get the paint off them too.

Lastly thought I might as well try welding an end tank on and see what happens. I've never tried cast ali before and I've seen people say it's more difficult than stock ali but it welded up just fine!

The paint made the whole house stink though :)

CC-1Small.jpg

CC-14Small.jpg

CC-13Small.jpg

CC-12Small.jpg

CC-11Small.jpg

Also got the new crank and rods today (many thanks indeed to DJC from the e36coupe site for delivering them!)

Shouldn't be too long until I can make a start on the remainder of the charge air plumbing and the charge cooler water system and, once those two bits (plus the exhaust) are taken care of I can haul the engine out and start the rebuild to 2.9litres :)

maturin23

Just to say thanks for posting all this up - I can't add ANYTHING to the process other than encouragement :(

As I've said before, I want a go in this when it's done despite your 'grandad' driving - brings back fond memories of my old E30 325i :ph34r:

M3Evo

Cheers dude! You're more than welcome to pop round for a ride when it's done!

I reckon it's 0-30 should be quite impressive :blink:

It's been a productive day! Got about half of the charge cooler done now!

Started the day by making a turning vane for the inlet side and welding that in:

TurningvaneSmall.jpg

Toothbrush3Small.jpg

Then welded on the last piece of the outer shell of the "toothbrush"

Toothbrush1Small.jpg

Before doing a little bit of fettling so everything fitted nicely and wiring the toothbrush to the core:

CoolerpriortoweldingSmall.jpg

And finally set about welding the two parts together, welding over the holes which were in the outer plates of the core at the same time.

Coolerinbay4Small.jpg

Coolerinbay3Small.jpg

Coolerinbay2Small.jpg

Coolerinbay1Small.jpg

Going to make up the cradle which holds the cooler in position tomorrow. I've got some little rubber bobbins to mount it on so it shouldn't experience too high a level of vibration. Having made the cradle I can get on with the other side of the cooler.

Even had a quick go at making an inlet trumpet today, it's surprisingly easy! All you have to do is machine up a piece of steel to the shape of the trumpet you want, put a length of ali tube over it and then clamp it hard in a vice! :)

welshpug

More excellent work :blink: where did you get the core for the chargecooler?

Rippthrough

Interesting way of making trumpets, normally they're spun on a lathe, you just made a blank and press the ally tube down it then?

Any pics? Might try that on my wee TU 'bodies

sonofsam

Ingenious way of trumpeting Alex :)

As opposed to spinning them, we use similar methods with a cone tool & power press with flaring MS tubing.

Charge cooler is rockin' btw :blush:

Rippthrough

Have to try that then, got a 50 ton press so that shouldn't be a problem!

M3Evo

Cheers guys :D

The core's from a 2wd cossie, it's one of the ones which used to hang off the front of Brown. Be interesting to see how efficient it is in it's new configuration.

Been a bit of a mundane day work-wise. Was going to do an ECU upgrade for Miamistu's Mi16 but thought better of it as I've not read the instructions properly yet. Instead I took it out for a drive over to the parents' house. God only knows how he's been driving around in it as the clutch would only just disengage! Had a quick play with that so it's a bit easier to drive and modulate the clutch now :)

God I miss manual transmission and throttle bodies! It's just so easy to rev match and heel and toe changes are a doddle with the wizzy little four-banger :)

Anyway, I digress :blush:

Here's the little test trumpet I made yesterday, together with it's former. It was just done as an experiment which is why the former's not got much of a rad on it. When I do the trumpets proper I'll buy a bigger bit of steel and made it shinier and have a much larger radius.

TrumpetSmall.jpg

Trumpet4Small.jpg

Trumpet3Small.jpg

Trumpet2Small.jpg

And also got a little bit of the charge cooler cradle done. Was going to have the cradle straddle the head but it seemed easier to have a pair of bars run the length of it instead. Will mount the turbo brace on the cradle too.

Here's the little upstands for one side:

CradleupstandsSmall.jpg

The length of ali channel being used for the spar with a semi-circle cut at both ends:

CradleendSmall.jpg

The bits ready to be welded together:

HalfofcradleSmall.jpg

And the cooler and cradle in position:

CCandcradleSmall.jpg

CCandcradle2Small.jpg

Rippthrough

Thinking about it, it's only the same way you do brake lines after all, get nice malleable ally and it could be fun, nice idea :D