• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

[project] Nothing To Do With 205's, But Behold!

findlay
270bhp from a shagged out home brew lash up is pretty impressive i'd say.

:D ... a tad harsh maybe? lol

Good going Alex, thats 100bhp up on standard then? :(

M3Evo

:lol: cheers guys! :)

Here's a piccy of the slick I left on the rolling road:

oil_leak.jpg

Yes, made about 99bhp more than standard, and they reckon that with all the problems sorted, and some bigger injectors, it should do more than 300bhp as the power plot was still pointing skywards when the injectors maxed out! :D

Edited by M3Evo

Butler
:lol: ... a tad harsh maybe? lol

Sorry. Maybe a little strong. :) Either way respect due.

findlay

You'd have been as well typing this instead... :)

F**k me... 270bhp from bailer twine, sticks, some sticky back plastic, used frog spawn, pocket fluff, an Asda mini trifle and a 37p budget is pretty impressive i'd say.

Nice oil patch. Does that come as standard? Bet you think pastry wasn't the best idea as a replacement head gasket now then eh? Eh? Eh? :lol:

M3Evo

It's rustproofing for the rolling road. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

hexhamstu

you got it sorted yet?

M3Evo

Haven't even looked at it since tuesday!

It's still drivable at the moment as long as I keep an eye on the oil level, and 270bhp's enough to be getting on with!

Also promised to make some progress on Stu's car now that mine's mapped, plus there's the 3 other projects I'm working on at the moment and all the overtime I'm having to put in for wanker clients at work.

All good fun eh! :D

maturin23

Just spotted this - superb stuff matey!

Have you been out in the wet yet? :);)

M3Evo

Not yet, and it's gonna be a while I think as the oil leak has now turned into a continuous stream of oil and it using about 5litres every 100 miles! :)

M3Evo

He he, look what I've just bought :D

Who needs two turbos when one from a train will do :huh:

post-3444-1166104788.jpg

miamistu

Pop a coke can next to it and take a pic for a sense of scale :huh:

Lillpete
He he, look what I've just bought :D

Who needs two turbos when one from a train will do :huh:

post-3444-1166104788.jpg

Just read the whole thread, that's a great car you've built,

Respect is due big time

pdd144c

Take it you'll be running more than 7psi with that! Looking good!

M3Evo

Apparently the standard bottom end for a late engine (8.8:1 compression) will hold 20psi and in so doing generate around 360bhp at the wheels, which will be fun :huh:

Here's the power plot it did on 7psi though:

Apparently the standard bottom end for a late engine (8.8:1 compression) will hold 20psi and in so doing generate around 360bhp at the wheels, which will be fun :D

Apparently the standard bottom end for a late engine (8.8:1 compression) will hold 20psi and in so doing generate around 360bhp at the wheels, which will be fun :)

Rippthrough
Apparently the standard bottom end for a late engine (8.8:1 compression) will hold 20psi and in so doing generate around 360bhp at the wheels, which will be fun :huh:

Apparently the standard bottom end for a late engine (8.8:1 compression) will hold 20psi and in so doing generate around 360bhp at the wheels, which will be fun :D

Apparently the standard bottom end for a late engine (8.8:1 compression) will hold 20psi and in so doing generate around 360bhp at the wheels, which will be fun :)

Whoa!

What happened to leaving it alone and starting the '6 eh?

Edited by Rippthrough

M3Evo

Oops, tried to post the power plot but must have got carried away with the "add reply button!" :oops:

What happened to leaving it alone and starting the '6 eh?

Well Brown's shell is knackered and a guy I know keeps banging on about a clean auto he know's that's going cheap so the plan is to get that if it's any good, put the current engine in it and use the resulting low comp engine to make my uber engine.

Once the mechanicals are transplanted I can get on with the GT6...honest!

Edited by M3Evo

tom_m

holy mother of god that turbo has to be the size of your head!!! surely thats going to be a lag-fest????

M3Evo

Apparently they'll start to make boost by around 2500rpm (not all that much though, couple of psi)

I'm considering the possibility of doing another twin turbo setup only this time using something like a T25 to make boost pretty much off idle followed by the Holset to carry it through to the red line.

However, sequential TT setups seem to be pretty complex and I can't imagine it's gonna be easy to implement on a DIY basis.

welshpug

find out how it works first before dismissing it though, arent TT supra's sequential? would be very good if you can get it to work, BMW currently have a Sequential turbo setup on a diesel IIRC!

M3Evo

;) think the collective intellectual might and budget of BMW eclipse mine though.

I've seen an idea which appears as though it should work, but it almost seems too good to be true. What do people think:

twin%20turbo.jpg

sonofsam
He he, look what I've just bought :(

Who needs two turbos when one from a train will do :P

post-3444-1166104788.jpg

Holy Canolies Alex, what Train did that come from?:P

Rippthrough

Well, for the exhaust valve you could perhaps nick one (or two) off a yamaha EXUP system, other check valve can just be a throttle plate with a stepper motor attached, so you should be able to rig a up a protoype quick, getting the actual thing made the right sizes and sorting the piepwork out with be a nightmare though.

GLPoomobile

Twin turbo setups - one of those things that would seem straight forward when you first think about it (I did anyway!). But then I read about how the setup on a Supra works and I couldn't get my head around it (but then I'm not an engineer). No wonder everyone was converting them to run in tandem, or going single turbo.

Would be a very interesting project though!

M3Evo

Well, there's no going back now!

I've bought another turbo! This time it's a Holset HX27 which is good for around 230bhp on a petrol engine or so I gather.

Looks like that piccy up there isn't too far from being right too when you compare it to BMW's own effort:

2544_4mg.jpg

I'm quite excited about this now, aiming for 450bhp and mountainous torque being available everywhere in the rev range.

Gonna order a forged crank, pistons and steel rods at some point too to make a 2.8 with a nice strong bottom end :ph34r:

Rippthrough
Well, there's no going back now!

I've bought another turbo! This time it's a Holset HX27 which is good for around 230bhp on a petrol engine or so I gather.

Looks like that piccy up there isn't too far from being right too when you compare it to BMW's own effort:

2544_4mg.jpg

I'm quite excited about this now, aiming for 450bhp and mountainous torque being available everywhere in the rev range.

Gonna order a forged crank, pistons and steel rods at some point too to make a 2.8 with a nice strong bottom end :ph34r:

You nutcase.