• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

[project] Nothing To Do With 205's, But Behold!

hman205

done anything on the GT6 recently?

M3Evo

Lots of thinking, and very little working unfortunately.

Gonna get the new turbo system up and running and then move on to the GT6.

Had thought that subframes would be the best way to go, but probably the easiest way to make that work is to make a seperate chassis with the right wheelbase and track, remove the whole underside of the GT and plonk it on top.

M3Evo

Yip doo!

More progress this weekend:

The turbos mounted on the tacked together manifold:

Turbos_mounted_3.jpg

Turbos_mounted_2.jpg

Turbos_mounted.jpg

The tacked fannymold in the car just to make sure the biggun fits:

Mani_in_car.jpg

Which it just about does. Think I might need some vents when I eventually get around to making a new bonnet: The standard lid does shut though so I might not bother with the venting:

H1C_protrusion.jpg

H1C_in_car.jpg

H1C_in_car_2.jpg

And finally once I was happy that everything would fit, the process of seam welding could begin. The little copper pipe coming out is there to supply shield gas to the rear of the welds.

Starting_welds_2.jpg

Starting_welds.jpg

mickie

awesome, good work

Mandic

Very nice indeed!

You Mig welded all that right? Looks very good,

Cheers

Ziga

M3Evo

Cheers chaps :)

I TIG welded them this time, much nicer than MIG once you get the hang of it (not that I've got the hang yet but practice makes perfect :wacko: )

phatgti

Welding looks very nice to me! :unsure:

M3Evo

Bleeeeee!

The manifold's finished!

Just gotta leave it to settle for a couple of weeks and then take it to get skimmed.

Here's the finished article:

Some welds on the runners:

Runner_welds.jpg

The T3 end of the mani:

T3_outlet.jpg

The T25 sized flange showing a tiny bit of the baffling. For anyone who's interested, the HX27 doesn't bolt straight onto a T25 pattern flange as the Garret hole's a little bit too big. That's why there's a load of weld around the hole, I needed to make up filler pieces so the holes matched.

whole_thing.jpg

Here's the hwole thing from another angle:

whole_thing_2.jpg

And lastly, the welds I was most proud of....although that's not saying much :ph34r:

T3_collector.jpg

Mandic

Great effort!!!

Congrats,

Just one thing, why do You need to get it skimmed? You mean the mating surface?

Did You weld it on the head or at least had it bolted down or did You just weld it without any support? Cos if You had it bolted down and if it had bent then You shouldnt worry as it will bend correctly again when torqued to the head.

Cheers

Ziga

Edited by Mandic

M3Evo

I did have it bolted onto a spare head but it's still pulled a little bit.

Don't think it'd hurt to have it skimmed flat, and the flange for the small turbo has definately warped and, as I don't wanna use any gaskets for the turbos, I'm gonna need that skimming.

All good fun :D

Now, onto the computer side of things.....oh and building the new engine......and making the charge cooler, 48mm throttles and all the other bits and pieces :D

Mandic

Neverending story :D

Anyway, I just wanna point out that if You used head when welding, You shouldnt worry, at least that's what honda tech guys say, who do such things for a living. I'm saying this cos skimming cost some money and it can be saved. But then again, only with skimming You can be 100% sure it wont blow by.

Cheers

Ziga

M3Evo

Hmmm, piccies seem to have stopped working :(

Anyhoo, I've had a really good think about the control strategy of the system and I believe that I can control the two wastegates using the PWM controls (there are two tables using throttle position and rpm as their inputs) and then make a relatively simple extra PWM controller which just looks at the pressure between the turbos and opens the air divertor valve as a function of that pressure, so it's just a 2D thing rather than a 3D thing....gy.

Also, after seeking to make all this torque off idle, I'm now having thoughts of holding the little turbo's wastegate open at idle and progressively closing it as the throttle opens, only for it to open fully again when the large turbo's started doing it's bit. Might also be a good use of Emerald's multi-map thing as wet weather driving might be a real issue.

cybernck

i'll sort out the pics soon as i'm re-arranging the assorted pics to their seperate sub-albums :).

M3Evo

Coolio, anyhoo here's some more :lol:

Piccies of the charge cooler I've been working on:

Nobody's allowed to laugh at my pitiful attempts at aluminium welding though:

Here's the secondary plenum where cold air gathers ready to be fed into the throttle bodies. There will be 6 outlet stubs welded on the more vertical face in the photo at some point.

final-plenum.jpg

Here's a closer-up of some poopy welding:

weld-1.jpg

These are the water tanks which cooling water is fed to and from at either end of the core.

water-tanks.jpg

Here are most of the components which go to make up the cooler. The big black thing is the intercooler from a 2wd Sierra Cosworth with it's end tanks sawn off:

components.jpg

And the bits arranged as they'll eventually be welded up. The great big 3" pipe at the back of the photo will be cut down so that it lines through with the angle of the top and bottom plates. The pipe lives on the exhaust side and faces forward in the engine bay.

assy.jpg

And lastly, here's a little pic of the PIC microcontroller kit which arrived the other day, computer nerd-dom awaits me!

PIC-kit.jpg

tom_m

*dribbles*

M3Evo

Had a nice day of fabrication and welding today, working on the charge cooler.

Think it's coming together quite nicely now I'm vaguely getting the hang of TIG welding. Have adjusted the %EN setting a little bit to give better penetration and a flatter weld. Seems to be doing the trick :D

Here's what it'll look like....ish:

Assy3Small.jpg

Same thing from a different angle:

Assy2Small.jpg

And lastly some weldy welds. Just gotta get the hang of tacking things together. Always seem to end up with a great big blob of weld B)

WeldsSmall.jpg

Mandic

Good progress,

This chargecooler thingy is really impressive. On my T16 I rerouted the original system and relocated CC radiator from bedind the grill to infront of it. Water circulation is maintained by 27l/min pump and when engine is up to temp the CC is as cold as when I start the engine. Haven't measured IAT, but the difference can certainly be felt and it is not dropping during engine operation like before.

Regarding weld finish/end, I think this is normal, maybe not to such extent, but I think it is. Local welder over here does it also.

Cheers

Ziga

M3Evo

That's reassuring I think :D I paid extra attention to getting the top side welds to look as nice as possible.

Anyhoo, little bit more progress today:

been making a start on the throttle body manifolds.

Here's the template I made for the last set to score around:

alitemplateSmall.jpg

The 8mm thick blanks ready for drilling and lots of filing:

blanksandtemplateSmall.jpg

The drilled blanks on the head. The front most one is shaped to clear the thermostat housing. Great for air flow like this :unsure:

greatforairflowSmall.jpg

Anyway, once they fit, ya drills a couple of 20mm holes in them to give this and let you get a grrrreat big file in:

howaportstartsSmall.jpg

And after about 15 or 20 mins on each port, they look like this, all reasonably well matched and sloping at an angle to match the port:

finishedplatesonheadSmall.jpg

Lastly, here the finished plates are with one of the 48mm throttles which is to go on the engine winkeye

PlatesandathrottleSmall.jpg

base-1

Aaaaawwwesome ;)

tom_m

*dribbles more*

M3Evo

Little bit more progress after the belt broke on the lathe last weekend leaving me machineless :( All sorted now though :)

SO! Here's some component parts of the inlet manifolds and one which is about half done and has a throttle bolted to it.

manifoldcomponentsSmall.jpg

The half done mani from the side showing the angle of attack the runner has into the port. Believe it or not, the bottom of the runner lines up exactly with the bottom of the port.

sidemaniSmall.jpg

Here's a look down the throttle:

downrunnersSmall.jpg

And one showing the transition from runner to head flange. The large hole will be filled by a welded plate (the thing which is kinda shield shaped in the first piccy) and the injector bosses will be welded to those plates. Advice when I was at Emerald was to move the injectors away from the head to get better mixing.

transitionSmall.jpg

For anyone wondering why the runners are so long, it's because of that pesky thermostat housing which is very close to cyl1's port. Make the runners about 120mm long though and you've got all the room you could want :blink:

Did a trial fit of the E36 front hubs today. Looks like all that's needed is to modify the rear crud guard a bit and then make up a very simple sleeve to take the diameter of the spigot out. The E30 nut looks big enough and goes on 5 1/2 turns which is more than enough in my opinion :)

Think I'm going to need about a 3mm spacer behind the E46 330Ci brake discs to get enough clearance for the track rod ends but that's no great shakes. What does remain to be seen is whether the offset of the front wheels will need altering as there's about 13mm from the inner edge of the rim to the strut and, on an 8J rim I think I need the wheels as far into the arches as possible. Should just be a case of making up a set of spacers for the wheels so that the rim sits further in, will give me that nice staggered offset look too :o

Finally, on a more aesthetic note, I had another go at dismantling the wheels today. I tried standing in them, levering at them and was about to resort to chemicals but thought I'd give a hammer a go. Found a nice rubber headed hammer and gave the back of the spokes a twat and, after several knocks the centre dropped out :D

HubfrontSmall.jpg

HubbackSmall.jpg

rimsectionSmall.jpg

I'm really torn now between making more manifolds for the throttles tomorrow or whether to attack the rim sections with the polish!

Oh yeah, and as an aside, I'm getting a Ford style heated windscreen for the car too. How cools is that ?!! :)

rapidmi

minted lovley work m8 keep the pics coming

M3Evo

So, this weekends spoils are.....the dump valve! Just needs a spring and a pipe connection in the top and it's done!

Here's the component parts:

componentsside.jpg

components-1.jpg

And the assembled valve:

valveside.jpg

valvetop.jpg

Looks a lot shinier in real life :)

M3Evo

Been burying my head a bit with the eletronics but will need to look at them again soon I think, I'm just not getting it :mellow:

Anyway, not had an amasingly productive weekend, but have managed to close off one of the inlet manifolds and get another to about 50% completion before running out of gas. Couldn't figure out why the weld just would take on the last one until I flicked the gauge on the bottle which made it drop to zero :(

So, here's the most complete manifold which just needs injector bosses and fuel rail ties welding on :(

manitopSmall.jpg

manisideSmall.jpg

manisonheadSmall.jpg