• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

[project] Nothing To Do With 205's, But Behold!

miamistu
I've ALWAYS wanted to do something similar - ultimate sleeper stylie - I was dying to turbo my first car - 1.3 Vauxhall Chevette.

You obviously haven't seen the front of the car! :P

tom_m

sweeet! you must be over the moon!

You obviously haven't seen the front of the car! :P

i've always assumed a bumper/valence is going back over the scoops? am i mistaken?

M3Evo

He hee, nope :)

Still looks like this:

4.jpg

Except with some beading over all the edges.

Seemed to attract the attention of all the staff at my local ATS when I got the tracking done earlier. If only they knew :P (that it could be beaten by a push bike)

M3Evo

Well, it's been ages and nothing's really changed:

Balanced the throttles properly today by setting them all to the same position with shims and then doing up their clamps. They all read within 1/2 kg of air per hour now which is much better than the 3kg/hr difference there was to start with.

Did notice that there's some gunk in the inlet pipe to cyl5 and that when it's ticking over and the engine's cold, there's a mist of petrol around the entrance to cyl 5.

Would've thought that they'd all do that, or none at all if it were a problem with pulsing or something.

Anyway, with the actuators connected up, when you blip the throttle you get a MIGHTY gust of air from the boost pipes :huh:

tidypug

So have you sorted the lack of power/ boost? If so have you driven it and whats it go like/

M3Evo

I've booked next friday off and hopefully a guy from another forum's gonna pop over with a wideband Lambda sensor so that we can get it running properly hopefully.

Having said that I can't seem to get hold of him at the moment so that might all go out the window :huh:

M3Evo

Well, the guy came along, we rigged up his sensor and went for a drive.

Turns out that the MAP sensor settings were being used to trim up to 47% out of the fuelling under certain conditions, so we were getting random AFR readings all over the shop and it was running like crap too :(

The problem was spotted and the MAP values up to atmospheric were set to 0.

Time to try again.

Ofcourse, because we've not taken the fuel out of the map that the MAP sensor was removing, it's lots of black smoke and fouled plugs.

So, we sort this problem and clean up the plugs but now, and I have no idea why, the throttle reading is a minimum of 56%!

This is traced to the throttle pot giving a reading of about (oddly enough) 56% of it's overall reading, so it's buggered basically and the engine's still running like crap beacuse the ECU believes the throttle to be half open!

So really, it's a little closer to being mapped, but not the result we were hoping for :D

M3Evo

Eek, second attempt at mapping today!

How will it go?!

Nobody knows! :wacko:

pacey205

Good luck, hopefully it will all go well and youll get it mapped :wacko:

Michael

M3Evo

Fingers crossed!

Hopefully we'll be able to get the data logger going today which might help!

RobMGti

Good luck dude :wacko: I think we are hopeing this is going to be a true beast when mapped

M3Evo

HOLY f***!

I can not stop smiling!

We have hissing boost from about 2.8k and a massively satisfying shove in the back :(

What an unbelievable transformation! From lethargic slug this morning to hissing beast this afternoon. Haven't even used full throttle yet!

Got AFRs nicely in the 12-13 bracket on boost, and a nice stoic on cruise.

To say I'm chuffed is an understatement!

Just gotta run it in now and then get over to Emerald for a full map :wacko:

mfield

Nice one :wacko::(:angry:

tom_m

NICE :) hats off to ya man, nicly done!

RobMGti

Oh thats just plain tasty that. Burble

tidypug

thats fantastic news. You must be well chuffed :)

M3Evo

I'm just so please that it works!

Gotta sort out the cooling fan though as it keeps sagging into the radiator and jamming (it's a viscous driven one) so it overheats in traffic.

Still, won an electric Peugeot Partner van fan for 1p on ebay so that'll take care of it hopefully.

Mace1981

This looks fantastic mate, you have GOT to upload a video for us all to see! I bet it go's like f***!

M3Evo

Will try and sort something out next weekend once I've serviced it.

Doesn't actually feel that fast, but then I've only really given it a bit of a tickle in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears, and haven't used full throttle yet either.

The dump valve's not particularly effective either unfortunately, there's a definate lag when you get back on the power after a change. Kinda like it though, adds to the drama ;)

Having said that, I've only driven one other petrol turbo car (dad's volvo 850) and that was absolutely shocking in terms of throttle response and turbo lag so I'm pretty pleased with mine.

miamistu

Well, just got back from a fraught day at Emerald.

Me and Miamistu got up at 4:50 this morning to make the 150mile trip up there, got there for around 8:45 with Mr Walker arrived shortly after.

Anyway, he did some check on what had been done before to the mapping, found that the software version on the ECU wasn't up to date and also that the map sensor wasn't quite right either but he sorted that all out in about 10mins and then started the car up.

Turns out that cylinder 5 wasn't running, a compression test revealed about 100psi and a leak down test said 12% (whatever that meant)

Things starting to look bleak by this point!

Anyway, he said he could do some mapping, just not with much boost until the leaking was resolved so off it went.

Turns out that the Mi16 injectors I'm using aren't quite big enough for the engine which made 270bhp@6250 rpm with about 240lb-ft of torque and all at the minimum boost setting of 7psi.

Tits, forgot to change users! Sorry, this is Alex (M3Evo)

SO, need to get some bigger injectors, fix an oil leak which was blowing onto the exhaust system and billowing smoke out and sort out whatever's leaking in the engine before going back for more boost -_-

Edited by miamistu

Butler

270bhp from a shagged out home brew lash up is pretty impressive i'd say.

Nice work.

hexhamstu

v.impressive!!

Alastairh

Not bad going.

Dom9

f*** me - Good work Alex!!! :D