• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M3Evo

[project] Nothing To Do With 205's, But Behold!

M3Evo

He he, here's the bigun' with coke can comparison:

holset_turbo_top.jpg

holset_turbo_side.jpg

I want my other one now! :ph34r:

tom_m
Well, there's no going back now!

I've bought another turbo! This time it's a Holset HX27 which is good for around 230bhp on a petrol engine or so I gather.

Looks like that piccy up there isn't too far from being right too when you compare it to BMW's own effort:

I'm quite excited about this now, aiming for 450bhp and mountainous torque being available everywhere in the rev range.

Gonna order a forged crank, pistons and steel rods at some point too to make a 2.8 with a nice strong bottom end :lol:

you don't do things by halves do you! :ph34r:

djinuk

this project scares hell outa me dude

M3Evo

Should be fun, I drive like an old man anyway so it's really just bragging rights :D

Should really sort out the photos in the projects section soon shouldn't I?!

M3Evo

Well, I've gathered up the turbos and modelled them in a 3D CAD package (don't all laugh at the compressor housing of the H1C!)

And have spent countless hours trying to figure out a way to get them both in with the requisite divertor valve in place. Think I've cracked it from a packaging point of view (I made up some 1:1 paper mockups and they seem to fit in) although the pipework could still use some smoothing I'm sure.

Not shown (cos I've not drawn it yet) is the pipe that runs from the exducer of the HX27 to the far side of the divertor valve, although that's what the big target shaped thing is there to mount.

Your thoughts and comments appreciated :)

Twin-turbo-sketch-3.gif

Twin-turbo-sketch-2.gif

Mandic

Looks very good!

Can't see from the pic, but are both turbos twin scroll?

Or will You run first one with merge collector design and the other with split pulse?

This might be very thicky to pull off.

Cheers

Ziga

tom_m

:wacko:

can't wait to see you putting it into production!

M3Evo

Hey Ziga, how's it going? :wacko:

Only the big one is a twin scroll. I'd thought in that design that it would be a good idea to keep the manifold as a split pulse type thing to help with spooling of the bigun.

However, it now occurs to me that I could make use of a simpler log style manifold as I'll have the low end boost taken care of by the little turbo.

I'm getting quite excited about it too now (although it's a lot of fabrication and an engine build away) ;)

Edited by M3Evo

Mandic

Hehe, I know, that's why I asked, it would be great to see it have split pulse, I recon they are quite efficient but You are right, smaller one might just do the trick,

Cheers

Ziga

M3Evo

If it weren't for the fact that the turbos can't be located half way along the engine, split pulse would be relatively easy. As it is though, the suspension turret means that they need to be quite a lot further forward.

Such is life I guess, and BMW have managed to get away without split pulse so I'm hopeful :wacko:

sonofsam

Dude! What more can one say :wacko:

If you need any more bitty bobs spun, dont hesitate. Looks like you have it well under control though ;)

M3Evo

Wouldn't be able to do some bits which translate from a rectangular shape to a round could ya Sam? Gonna fabricate a chargecooler to sit over the engine so I'd need six No. translators in total.

Anyway, here's the log style manifold:

Twin-turbo-sketch-4.gif

It was just SO much easier to package like that!

The valve is more compact and the routing of the HX exhaust gas to the H1C inducer will be considerably easier now, as will adding in the external WG for the H1C.

I'm quite excited about this design, it seems the neatest and easiest to manufacture. I'm just a little worried about it's ability to flow for decent power.

What do people think?

Cheers!

Alex

welshpug

that looks a pretty funky setup, electronic wastegate control?

M3Evo

It needs three valves to control it all, one is shown in the piccy (that rectangular block) there will be a conventional external wastegate and finally there needs to be a valve in the inlet system.

I'm hoping to be able to get the Emerald to control them all so as to enable me to program out some of the mechanical errors I'm bound to have made :blink:

M3Evo

Yay! Wastegateage!

Mmmmmm, generic and non-branded ;)

post-3444-1172498460_thumb.jpg

Mandic

They are ridiculously expensive, nice buy, must get my hands on one as well.

Cheers

Ziga

M3Evo

They can be expensive, but there seems to be a feeling amongst a lot of people that the expensive ones burn out just as quickly as the cheap knock-offs.

That one was £80, although I'm happy enough that I'll be able to make replacement parts for it should the need arise.

M3Evo

Finally! Some piccies :D

Here's the turbos and wastegate:

Turbos.jpg

Here's some of the bits for the large turbo's collector:

Large_Collector_Parts.jpg

Here's most of it tacked together:

Large_Collector_2.jpg

And from another angle:

Large_Collector.jpg

Here's the outlet to the little tubby, it's as streamlined as I could make it :D

HX27_Spillway.jpg

And lastly the little HX27 mounted in the car:

HX27_in_car.jpg

tom_m

looking good :D

mickie

nice

M3Evo

Hooray! A little bit of progress over the weekend:

Made the other side of the large collector:

LC3.jpg

Made up the transition piece from the divertor assembly to the T3 flange:

T3_Collector_1.jpg

T3_Collector_2.jpg

And here's the whole lot assembled together.

Assy.jpg

The flap is to be housed within the middle two of the four plates half way up the assembly. I've done it this way so that it can be easily removed if (when) it goes wrong.

Next thing to do is to cut a hole in the top of the log so this tree type thing can be welded in place along with the internal channels.

Incidentally, for anyone wondering, you can get a 2 1/2" piece of tube to very neatly match the hole in a T3 flange if you crush the tube to match the long sides, tack them in place, then crush the tube to match the short sides and tack them in place. That leaves the corners a few mm out but now it's all rigidly tacked in place, you can just drift them into position, shrinking the metal as you go. Very neat and tidy :blink:

tom_m

modular! i like it :blink:

looks like you're progressing well

Mandic
Incidentally, for anyone wondering, you can get a 2 1/2" piece of tube to very neatly match the hole in a T3 flange if you crush the tube to match the long sides, tack them in place, then crush the tube to match the short sides and tack them in place. That leaves the corners a few mm out but now it's all rigidly tacked in place, you can just drift them into position, shrinking the metal as you go. Very neat and tidy :lol:

aha, very nice...was wondering myself how this is nicely done without purchasing a very expenives one.

Good work btw :blink:

Cheers

Ziga

phatgti

Is the plate for the collector thick enough to widthstand the heat?

M3Evo

Cheers chaps :lol:

The tube's 1.6mm thick 304 grade stainless and the flanges are all 304 10mm thick. Should be alright I reckon. Not had any probs with the current setup anyway :blink: