• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jackherer

Reproduction Rear Quarter Window Seals

chipstick

So are those offside window scraper seals now ready to be ordered from your local dealer or are they something that's in the pipeline for sometime in the future?

ATK

AFAIK the scrapers can only be ordered from Peugeot museum France, through Bruno. Looks like the rear 1/4 badges are also now available through Peugeot museum France too but nothing else.

It does not look like the rear quarter seals (the topic of this thread ;) ) are available from Peugeot museum France, so maybe Miles could clarify.

farmer

The window scraper is available to order for about £80 for quite some time.

The badges are quite a recent option.

I think the badges are sold for 150 Euros the set.

From the discussions I have had they are doing more "old "school Pug stuff at this moment, 504, 505 etc.

Edited by farmer

jackherer

I knew about the scraper, is that what you meant Miles? Or do you know something we don't?

Miles

Yes that was it, But you never know what's coming up or planed, I asked my local Parts Director to see what he could find out thou not holding my breath on that one

But at least some Factory stuff is coming back online

• Like 1

ATK

Oh thats a pity :( Much rather new rear 1/4 window seals than badges!

Dukey

I am now an emotional wreck.

ATK

I've emailed Peugeot Museum and Peugeot UK to see of there are any plans to reproduce but I doubt it....

farmer

Baker looked at it as well the tooling costs would be high in his opinion.

If the window scraper is £80 to the UK

You can imagine these would be a lot more and would people pay the money?

ATK

Demand for rear seals likely to be more which would equal more orders I would have thought

farmer

Demand and paying a possibly high asking price is another thing.

GLPoomobile

How common are leaky 205s? How often is it due to shrunken rear window seals? The situation will only get worse the more time goes on. Eventually they will be a part that is in high demand and owners will probably come to expect to pay a high price for them. That is, unless either a) they accept a cheaper non OE looking alternative or B) future owners plan to keep their 205s as garage queens, only to be brought out on the 7 sunny days per year we get. Even then, god help you if you plan to wash the car!

ATK

Here's a reply I had from Peugeot UK regarding re-production of rear quarter seals, as expected really

Dear Alex

Thank you for your email received on 7 November.

In relation to your query regarding the 205 GTI part, I have contact ted our Central Parts Department who have confirmed that none of these part numbers will be re- introduced. Even If we assume that the tooling remains intact (which they doubt) they cannot imagine that there would be anywhere near enough demand to merit the re-manufacture of these items.

To confirm there is no plan to re-produce any of these parts for the 205 GTI. Maybe some organisation like the 205 GTI owners club has managed to source some rubber extrusions that are similar in section to those used on the 205 GTI.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Peugeot Customer Relations.

Regards
Stuart Adamson
Customer Relations

ATK

Pretty much. Perhaps Peugeot Museum in France are the only (slim) hope one day....

Rjuhar

Just as an idea which will hopefully save my leak - cut the rubber seal where it is originally welded and mount it to the car so it is totally extended as it would be with a new seal. Mesure the gap and cut it from a spare shrunk seal that you have lying around your garage (not very likely). Make it few mm longer than the gap. Take the whole thing out, glue it together with some vulcanising glue and let it to dry. After fully dry carefully sand down or cut any excess glue that came out and voila - it shouldn't leak again. That's the theory, I'll try it out this winter when the evenings are long and the wife will be knitting socks. :P

mrfirepro

Just as an idea which will hopefully save my leak - cut the rubber seal where it is originally welded and mount it to the car so it is totally extended as it would be with a new seal. Mesure the gap and cut it from a spare shrunk seal that you have lying around your garage (not very likely). Make it few mm longer than the gap. Take the whole thing out, glue it together with some vulcanising glue and let it to dry. After fully dry carefully sand down or cut any excess glue that came out and voila - it shouldn't leak again. That's the theory, I'll try it out this winter when the evenings are long and the wife will be knitting socks. :P

I did this before I sourced new ones and I think it worked very well. here are some pics

before

P1030824_666x500.jpg

during

P1030827_666x500.jpg

P1030830_666x500.jpg

after

P1030883_666x500.jpg

P1030832_666x500.jpg

used this stuff

P1030868_666x500.jpg

I have since removed the seal and it has remained in one piece. The most critical thing is to cut the ends smooth and square, I made a jig up and used a new razor blade and fitted it to the car whilst letting the glue set. As a precaution I put some tape on the edge of the opening so that it wouldn't stick to the window.

Rjuhar

Great, nice to have a confirmation backed up with some pictures. Do you have a picture of the inside as well?

mrfirepro

Great, nice to have a confirmation backed up with some pictures. Do you have a picture of the inside as well?

It's hard to believe that with nearly 5000 pictures I thought I would have taken an internal picture, but it appears I failed on that count, sorry

pyrrhic

I want a set too, my right side window has shrunk quite a bit and left a puddle on the floor board when I picked up my 205 from Baltimore.

BamBamGTI

Any updates on the seals?

Leon

I took my rear seals off the other day as I was preparing to fit base model windows from Miles. Unfortunately I've been ill all week so couldn't collect them, so yesterday I measured the originals to have a look and see how they have fared since 1989

1) The "straight" vertical section has probably shrunk a good 5mm or so.

2) The long "curved" section that goes around the rest of the aperture has shrunk by 2.5 inches. I was amazed, I really didn't think they would have shrunk quite that much

3) The inner textured plastic part has also started to delaminate and come away from the rubber component.

All in all, a total mess, and I can't see a way of fixing this properly without giving up and fitting base model windows fitted with an aftermarket bronze tint to match the original glass. Really annoying as I like the look of the openers, especially the black dot shading around the edges of the glass.

BamBamGTI

I took my rear seals off the other day as I was preparing to fit base model windows from Miles. Unfortunately I've been ill all week so couldn't collect them, so yesterday I measured the originals to have a look and see how they have fared since 1989

1) The "straight" vertical section has probably shrunk a good 5mm or so.

2) The long "curved" section that goes around the rest of the aperture has shrunk by 2.5 inches. I was amazed, I really didn't think they would have shrunk quite that much

3) The inner textured plastic part has also started to delaminate and come away from the rubber component.

All in all, a total mess, and I can't see a way of fixing this properly without giving up and fitting base model windows fitted with an aftermarket bronze tint to match the original glass. Really annoying as I like the look of the openers, especially the black dot shading around the edges of the glass.

I guess the only way to keep the original seals would be to buy another knackered set and cut the extra bit of seal and join the two together. Look on the previous page. I don't know if this reproduction project is even still being worked on by anyone..?

jackherer

I'm not taking this any further, after what happened with the red metal bumper/door inserts it's too risky.