• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jackherer

Reproduction Rear Quarter Window Seals

jackherer

Following on from this thread I am currently looking into getting the rear quarter window seals reproduced.

Daviewonder has kindly allowed Farmer to send me one of his brand new window seals to ensure accuracy but I also need a photo of the cross section of a seal.

Has anyone got an old seal they wouldn't mind slicing through then photographing the cross section?

Until I have this I can't move forward, somebody must have an old seal?

chipstick

The concern I would have is there could be a chance the NOS seal may have still shrunk due to age and not be as perfect as it would have when brand new - so I'd want to fit that and check it's fully tight in all corners.

Could you give the manufacturer the aperture size and ensure that the reproduced seals were a good fit to that, or perhaps run some string around the seal in the groove and compare that measurement to the shell to ensure it's as spot on as it could be?

Edited by chipstick
  • Like 1

jackherer

I was worried about that too but it arrived today and it is HUGE! It is much bigger than the seal from my pug which was one of the best I had seen for years. My seal is about the same size as the window frame, the new one looks like it is actually bigger and would probably need to be squashed a bit to get it in the frame and would result in a very watertight seal.

So all I need is for someone to cut a useless shrunken seal up and photo the cross section and I can move forward with this.

GLPoomobile

I was worried about that too but it arrived today and it is HUGE! It is much bigger than the seal from my pug which was one of the best I had seen for years. My seal is about the same size as the window frame, the new one looks like it is actually bigger and would probably need to be squashed a bit to get it in the frame and would result in a very watertight seal.

And that's how they should be, so it sounds good. New seals were one of the first things I bought for my first GTI ~13 years ago, and they were much bigger than the window frame, and required a lot of effort to fit as I had to really squash them in. This is how they need to be, to allow for shrinkage.

I think I have a spare seal in the garage. I'm willing to sacrifice it for the greater good since my project has been at a standstill for 3 years! If nobody else volunteers, PM me a reminder and I'll get on to it. It's just that I rarely have moment to myself at the moment so it's not like I'll be popping out after work to do this today, but if you remind me, I could make 15 minutes spare at the weekend.

jackherer

Thanks, that's good to know. The only brand new seals I have ever fitted were base model ones for fixed windows which were almost impossible to get in as they were so much larger than the frame but because they're such a different design I was still surprised by the size of the new opening seal.

Anthony

One of the ones on my car has started leaking slightly in the recent rain so - providing that I've a better one spare to replace it with - I'm willing to remove and cut that one up if no one else does so in the meantime.

• Like 1

BamBamGTI

I was about to put up a post on this myself. After months of rain I have a puddle in the passenger rear foorwell and no matter how much silicone I bung into the corners of the old seals, water still pissing through as they've shrunk by a couple of inches.

Last time I pulled out the seal to re-silicone them I measured the aperture with some string, so here are the measurements...

Pillar 42cm

total aperture excluding pillar 121cm

Would'nt reproducing these seals be very expensive as you would need to pay for the cost of the moulds to be produced?

In my research and looking at other manufacurers I found these companies. Maybe a close match would be cheaper if the moulding cost is prohibitively expensive (so long as it's an effective replacement).

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shopping.asp?intDepartmentId=4

http://www.classiccar-trim.com/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/eastkent?opendocument&part=9

http://www.phoenixtrim.co.uk/Profiles/tabid/2766/Default.aspx

I'd be up for a group buy if the prices are right.

jackherer

Yes it's going to be expensive to set up, but if enough people are interested we should be able to keep the unit prices reasonably low.

The original seal is actually two extrusions bonded together and we're hoping that at least one of them will be something relatively generic, or as you say similar enough to be acceptable.

As these cars are getting older people are increasingly wanting to keep/make them more original so I want to come up with something that looks right as well as doing the job of sealing the car from the weather. It all comes down to cost in the end however. On the bright side, if the inner part needs to be a custom extrusion then making both grey and black (phase one and two) will be pretty straightforward.

It's all academic until I have a photo of the cross section though!

simon5

Guys I have just bought my second 205 and the previous owner has replaced the rear window seals with an off the shelf item and to my mind it does not look out of place I am trying to find out where it came from but it seems to do the job very well

so there is hope, just sorting out the bloodt tickover at the moment but will take some pictures for you all to see

Simon

acox99

I did wonder the other day if a Saxo seal could be modified to fit, I don't know if the profile is the same, but they are larger appature so could be cut and glued.

jackherer

That's perfect, thanks :)

timoth123

Will be keeping a keen eye on this!!!

mowflow

I'm excited about this.

DanteICE

Yeah, price is good then I'm in.

mhyphenl

Add another to the list! If I can help in any way let me know, I think I have an older seal you can have to either chop up to send off for extrusion prices and or getting the 90deg corners right! I was also going to look at the weather shield for the front doors that's often missing, it's the rubber trough that sits along the top edges of the door seal! Basically anything rubber on these cars is going to need replacing at some point! We need to get organised like the Jag and Mini clubs do!

pacey205

Keeping an eye on this as well, mine are leaky as a leaky thing.

2052NV

You can add me to the stat list of people after one set!

mrfirepro

I'm in for a set if you get something going, good luck

Stu

Me too, i had a look at mine yesterday and couldn't believe how much they'd shrunk, with the lower corners in properly, the upper left (drivers side) has got a gap between the shell and the seal of around 10mm!! No wonder its like a swimming pool.. Good job there's no carpets in it.

jackherer

That's one of the companies I've been dealing with but despite calling themselves 'direct' it turns out they are just a reseller and I have been in touch with their supplier and things are progressing so watch this space...

• Like 4

mowflow

Good work.

Telf

Ive just discovered a hole in the floor of my 205 -ripped the interior out and it turns out my floor is swimming pool tastic! the leak is from both rear windows so I will definitely be interested in set of seals!

Hope you manage to work this all out, fingers crossed!