• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jackherer

Reproduction Rear Quarter Window Seals

benny205mi16

I would also be interested in a set of seals,

Mine have shrunk and cracked in the corners.

mowflow

If the hole is under the rear seat base then there is a good chance it's rusting from underneath. There is an area where the basin for the rear seat base meets a flat area of floor and it looks specifically designed to be a rust hole. Water from the windows leaking into this area won't help though.

Ive just discovered a hole in the floor of my 205 -ripped the interior out and it turns out my floor is swimming pool tastic! the leak is from both rear windows so I will definitely be interested in set of seals!

Hope you manage to work this all out, fingers crossed!

BamBamGTI

If the hole is under the rear seat base then there is a good chance it's rusting from underneath. There is an area where the basin for the rear seat base meets a flat area of floor and it looks specifically designed to be a rust hole. Water from the windows leaking into this area won't help though.

Isn't there a drain hole in the bottoms of the rear quarters for this? If you're ripping out the interior, might be worth checking out. I know my sills starting filling up with water and it was sloshing around when I was braking heavily, stuck my finger in the sill and water was pouring out for 5 minutes.

Daviewonder

Isn't there a drain hole in the bottoms of the rear quarters for this? If you're ripping out the interior, might be worth checking out. I know my sills starting filling up with water and it was sloshing around when I was braking heavily, stuck my finger in the sill and water was pouring out for 5 minutes.

I think I might have this issue. Where did you stick your finger?

welshpug

where it was perforated due to rust one would imagine!

or the grommet in the end.

• Like 1

PAGOS

Pouring ! Was it damp inside ? Did it not smell ? Any fungal growth ?

BamBamGTI

I think I might have this issue. Where did you stick your finger?

Under the car there are drain holes, circular rubber grommets near the front and rear wheels near the jacking points. Ram yer finger in there as they get filled up with crud.

Rock Lobster

Mine was like this, took her for a spin yesterday and heard water sloshing around under braking, poked my hole into the gromett near underneath the passenger side rear jacking point and must have had a good litre come out! Not good!

Daviewonder

I've never noticed the grommets. I'll have a look tomorrow as I noticed water trickling out when I had the front of the car jacked up.

Rob_the_Sparky

That's one of the companies I've been dealing with but despite calling themselves 'direct' it turns out they are just a reseller and I have been in touch with their supplier and things are progressing so watch this space...

Watching.

P.S. I have one new Pug seal but the other one I ordered never arrived :( Seals leaked a bit when I gought the car many years ago! Lord knows why I didn't fix it when the parts were available

Dukey

Window seals! yesss!! Immensely interested :D

Will I finaly be able to put the carpet back in and get the rear panels (above the sill) welded up? The orrible water has been sat in the inside of the panel above the sill and now has speed holes. Got so fed up with thing it's under a tarp and on the backburner for now.

Also somebody mentioned the door gutter strips.. Mine were missing, I now have some but they still have the adhesive strip on them which is very hard to remove, I've been picking at it with a knife every time I remember to do it, so it's taking ages. Infact I might make another post about them and how to attach because there must be some secret to it..

mhyphenl

I think they come with a peel off adhesive strip, you'd have to tiger seal them back on and it won't make a very neat job! Why don't you get on board here and sacrifice your used strip and use it for samples to try and get some made!? If we could get some that we cut to length I think masses if people would go for it!?

• Like 1

mhyphenl

Sorry, mid read, you've got new ones and the backing won't come off! Where did you get them? Never had these and would like some but my guess is they've been lying around for ages and the glue has gone off!

Dukey

Ahh no they're not new ones they're spent! :( but I'd be willing to do that as long as I got some new ones :D only got the two. The adhesive strip part is just a bit thick and in the way, considering it's no longer adhesive. I've got an idea to try out with number plate tape first though, which is also quite thick, so the two combined isn't good.

BamBamGTI

Watching.

P.S. I have one new Pug seal but the other one I ordered never arrived :( Seals leaked a bit when I gought the car many years ago! Lord knows why I didn't fix it when the parts were available

I heard even new ones possibly would have shrunk a bit. Someone else mentioned about this on another thread, can't find it though. Probably been lying in some depot for 20 odd years... It'd be interesting to see how it fits, apparently they're difficult to get into the window frame when they're new!

farmer

My new ones were ok and don't leak.

daza2020

I'd also be interested in any reproduction ones as mine are brittle and past it.

However incase we can't get any made there is a place in france that seems to do them, at least for the opening version;

http://www.comptoir-carrosserie.fr/joints-deux-custodes-ouvrantes-arrieres-adaptables-portes-xml-236_258_320-2668.html

I myself have used them however the lead time is quite frustrating as I ordered some external door seals (no longer made) first week of feb which seemed to have got lost in the post but I do have a second pair on the way and according to tracking they are on uk soil, customer service is perfect just have to use a translator.

Edited by daza2020

BamBamGTI

I'd also be interested in any reproduction ones as mine are brittle and past it.

However incase we can't get any made there is a place in france that seems to do them, at least for the opening version;

http://www.comptoir-carrosserie.fr/joints-deux-custodes-ouvrantes-arrieres-adaptables-portes-xml-236_258_320-2668.html

I myself have used them however the lead time is quite frustrating as I ordered some external door seals (no longer made) first week of feb which seemed to have got lost in the post but I do have a second pair on the way and according to tracking they are on uk soil, customer service is perfect just have to use a translator.

Let us know what they're like!

jackherer

Have you actually bought a seal from them? My understanding is they send you a length of seal with a generic profile and expect you to cut it up and glue it together yourself but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. If they supply proper complete seals it is a great price but if they just send you a few meters of generic seal from a roll its a bit of a rip off.

Daviewonder

I've heard the same.

daza2020

I've genuinely no idea what I'm expecting, I got fed up looking for alternatives and refused to stump up the 3 digit sum that I saw on ebay. I will be reporting back when/if they arrive as to what they're like.

GLPoomobile

I wonder if a universal seal like this would work....

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/pvc-door-aperture-seal

For the two tight corners it would have to be cut at 45 degree angles then the edges butted up and sealed together with Tigerseal or similar.

EDIT: Just realised this was mentioned a few posts previously :blush:

Edited by GLPoomobile

daza2020

Let us know what they're like!

Have you actually bought a seal from them? My understanding is they send you a length of seal with a generic profile and expect you to cut it up and glue it together yourself but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. If they supply proper complete seals it is a great price but if they just send you a few meters of generic seal from a roll its a bit of a rip off.

I've heard the same.

They arrived today can't take any photos as my phone is broke, but they are all one piece so no gluing required they are oversized so will need trimming down to fit and profiling at either end but overall they look the same when fitted.

I even got a free piece of 2x1 to keep them straight in the post.

jackherer

Can you post some photos please?

daza2020

Ok here we go there not the best quality but hopefully should do;

Old on top, new bottom

_MG_1707.jpg

Old on top, new bottom

_MG_1708.jpg

New

_MG_1709.jpg

Old

_MG_1710.jpg

Old

IMG_1711.jpg

New

IMG_1712.jpg

As you can see lot's of excess.

IMG_1713.jpg

Old on top, new bottom see what I mean about profiling the edges

_MG_1714.jpg

Old right, new left see about the profile again.

_MG_1715.jpg