• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mrfirepro

[Car_Restoration] My 1989 205 1.9 Gti Restoration Project

Tom Fenton

Couple of pictures of my shed which may help

Rad fan springs locate into a rubber mount which fits in the top of the radiator

6E2AF513-7416-475B-8EE2-E1CE9BE4652A_zps

Fan plug clip fits up from underneath the NS headlamp panel per picture

6E2AF513-7416-475B-8EE2-E1CE9BE4652A_zps

Hope that helps

ATK

fan resistor does indeed get very hot, thats why a proper clip should be used to secure rather than cable ties. The proper position is in a clip on top of the rad, I think. You can also use an 18mm tool clip to hold the resistor, mine is bolted under my slam panel at the moment.

AFM's - Amazon sell these new, but they are £520...ouch. You could try re-tracking yours - very easy to try, worth a go.

ATK

Tom is that not the position for the dipdim resistor rather than the fan resistor??

mrfirepro

Thanks Alex/Tom

Bugger - knew something was wrong, thankfully the clips are still available

Tom - I guess you meant to put up another picture of the connector position, that would be most useful.

anyone got a picture of the factory install fan resistor position and clip?

Tom Fenton

Bah stupid tellingbone

7117DDAB-1B34-4617-9A2E-9AA93B9C5500_zps

mrfirepro

thanks Tom, never would have guessed that location... :)

welshpug

It varied week to week I bet, as mine was clipped to the top of the chassis leg.

mrfirepro

It's been a month since my last update so here's where I'm at.

All the photos for this update are here..http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/slideshow/205%20projects/24%20oct%2014

Engine is in a running (all be it very lumpy) here's what the engine bay looks like today

P1050175_666x500.jpg

P1050176_666x500.jpg

The eagle eyed amongst you will spot that the alloy rad has gone in place of a new OE rad. The alloy rad sprung a leak through one of the weld and was returned to the supplier for a refund, thankfully the OE one was cheaper than the Alloy one, so a nett saving.. :)

new OE rad, with new rad switch

P1050132_666x500.jpg

P1050124_666x500.jpg

opted for the lowest temperature, will see how it performs in reality

P1050130_666x500.jpg

Am now getting to some of the finer details and starting to try and fix the things that are broken.

Finally managed to sort the correct speedo cable (yet another part I've bought twice...)

P1050117_666x500.jpg

If anyone is interested in a new short LHD one let me know.

Dizzy bag still available from Pug

P1050118_666x500.jpg

New Bosch coil

P1050147_666x500.jpg

Couldn't believe my luck the Ibiza dealer had a new seal and my son was there on holiday.......

P1050158_666x500.jpg

Idle screw O ring (didn't sort the poor idling but was needed)

P1050159_666x500.jpg

And the infamous "P" clip that secures the Speedo cable

P1050162_666x500.jpg

P1050163_666x500.jpg

New dip dim resistor as I had bodged the connection on the original one

P1050165_666x500.jpg

P1050167_666x500.jpg

Finally got around to install the PAS reservoir and plumbing (cracked shunt box has now been replaced)

P1050174_666x500.jpg

Got a new Rad resistor (not totally necessary as I've discovered it was a wiring fault not faulty resistor)

P1050190_666x500.jpg

I've attempted to reinforce the scuttle panel as I had managed to locate one that was not broken

P1050197_666x500.jpg

P1050263_666x500.jpg

P1050264_666x500.jpg

as you may have spotted above, have also fitted new engine soundproofing, with OE fixing (fixings not much cop TBH)

P1050225_666x500.jpg

rubbish fixings..

P1050249_666x500.jpg

soundproofing installed

P1050253_666x500.jpg

And thanks to Tom's advice above, managed to get the proper top rad fixing arrangement

P1050235_375x500.jpg

P1050255_375x500.jpg

I had also previously bought pattern bumpers, with which I was not overly impressed. So got a new OE front bumper (P2) and sprayed it grey with the Peugeot (P1.5) grey paint I had used on the sunroof trims. The result I am quite pleased with, just looking for a rear OE bumper now.

Paint

P1050240_375x500.jpg

finished bumper

P1050243_666x500.jpg

Installed the engine earth point protector bags.

P1050259_666x500.jpg

P1050260_375x500.jpg

P1050262_375x500.jpg

Have stripped and painted the front wiper arms and will fit over the weekend

P1050266_666x500.jpg

and got new covers

P1050269_666x500.jpg

And finally managed to come by some new bumper inserts (can't wait to get them fitted)

P1050206_666x500.jpg

I would like to thank Farmer for the help and assistance in finding and securing a lot of these parts as most of them are now NFP........

I hope to have the front bumper and all the plastic trims with inserts fitted this weekend.

and then it's on with getting the interior done and especially getting the seats re-trimmed (any advice very welcome).

As usual I do have a few questions to end on..

I have the OE clip for the rad resistor, but where does it go???

this is the clip, which I take it is fixed with a rivet

P1050228_666x500.jpg

last question, I think I may be going mad, I have tightened the jubilee clip on the rear water manifold several time due to leaks. Tonight I found some water on the floor again and the jubilee clip did not seem very tight, so I adjusted it again. Am I going mad or has anyone else experienced jubilee clips coming loose :wacko: .

• Like 1

farmer

What do you think of the sound proofing?

I have to say I was impressed by it and not many nfp parts tickle me these days.

Edited by farmer

Juttie205

anymore soundproofing available?

farmer

Not at the moment I don't think.

Had two from the same group in Belgium and that's been all I have seen.

Last price was just over 100 pound so not cheap parts.

jackherer

P1050159_666x500.jpg

The one part that needs to be shiny for it to work properly and you missed it :P

Give the conical end part a proper clean, you'll be surprised how much it can affect the idle.

mrfirepro

Kieran, Thanks,

You never cease to amaze me, and that's one end I'll enjoy polishing :lol:

Not doing "Shiney Shiney" on the right parts then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Might this be my lumpy idle?????

Edited by mrfirepro

mrfirepro

Farmer I agree,

The soundproofing was a surprise as it's quite different to the feel and texture of what was removed.

jackherer

It can contribute to a bad idle, the throttle body needs to be as clean as possible, particularly the idle screw and the tiny air bypass tubes it exposes. Other than that you need to be sure there are no air leaks then go through the throttle adjustment procedure which is covered in the Haynes pretty well IIRC. And you also need to set the idle mixture on the AFM too, that's the allen screw on the outside possibly under a tamper proof plastic cap. Ideally you need an emissions tester to set the mixture but if you are sure everything else is right in terms of air leaks and the throttle adjustment you can get it pretty close by ear, just turn it until it gets less lumpy and if it gets worse turn it the other way!

BusEngineer

If a jubilee clip has previously been overtightened then yes it will keep coming loose. Replace it with a new one and it should be fine

Andy_C

Stunning build.

Where did you find the Engine earth point protector bags? Mine disintegrated whilst disassembling.

mrfirepro

Thanks for your kind words.

Farmer sourced them for me, took quite a while to find. I don't know if he got any more than just my two.

Got the pattern bumper changed for the OE one and fitted to the car.

P1050283_666x500.jpg

all finished

P1050302_666x500.jpg

decided to fix the front and rear arch trims, but need a little help with the fixings.

I have this trim fixing kit.

P1040103_666x500.jpg

have figured out some of the fixings, but are still unsure of which of the following to use where, have done a search but the results differ.

these are the items I'm not sure of...

P1050304_666x500.jpg

I thought it would be easy as there are 11 holes, but not 11 of any fixings.... :o

farmer

No more bags left.

One of the rarest parts I have come across

Only ever came across 7

Got 5 and keeping 3 back.

Be good to find an alternative....

Edited by farmer

dobboy

Mrfirepro, do you not think the pug paint is too light?

• Like 1

mrfirepro

Mrfirepro, do you not think the pug paint is too light?

The pictures don't do it justice, I'll try and take a picture of a standard P1.5 trim next to the bumper for comparison. The only compromise is that the paint finish leaves a slight matt finish, where the original grey plastic has a glossier finish.

dobboy

Cool, i have a tin of it and tried it and thought it was too light, and as you say it is very very matt. I also thought it would be easily ruined with greasy fingers/dirt etc.

If you haven't already, it may be worth you having a goosy at the relevant sales brochures on the french forum. (Imo) the colour should be much much darker than the pug can of paint, and not unlike the interior trim colour.

i ended up getting paint mixed (with matting agent) a smidgen darker than the backside of trims from two different Ph1.5 cars, which all my kit, sunroof, and bumpers were eventually done with at the paint shop (with a haze of texturiser on top of plasti primer).... To give you an idea of cost the painter said it would be around £600 if i was to get them painted separately.

If you want, for comparison I can dig out the paint code i used and a paint supplier could probably show you the colour i finally picked.

Just chuckin my tu'pence in as i see the great effort you're putting in. Hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Thanks for your kind words.

Farmer sourced them for me, took quite a while to find. I don't know if he got any more than just my two.

Got the pattern bumper changed for the OE one and fitted to the car.

P1050283_666x500.jpg

all finished

P1050302_666x500.jpg

decided to fix the front and rear arch trims, but need a little help with the fixings.

I have this trim fixing kit.

P1040103_666x500.jpg

have figured out some of the fixings, but are still unsure of which of the following to use where, have done a search but the results differ.

these are the items I'm not sure of...

P1050304_666x500.jpg

I thought it would be easy as there are 11 holes, but not 11 of any fixings.... :o

IIRC, I used the above as follows:

- The 2 x grey clips I used to fix each side of the front arch trims, nearest the doors (i.e. towards the rear of the trim). You can see how one end attaches to the red insert strip, having gone through the arch trim and into the bodywork.

- I used the white fixings (9 x in your photo) in conjunction with the black rubber washers and silver metal washers to attach the rest of the front arch trims.

- The black clips (of which you have 14) I used to attach the rear arch trims (they went through the small black "washers", I think shown in your other photo, which attach to the holes in the body work first).

- Not sure about the 3 x off-white clips!

*What I did worked, but may not be strictly correct!

mrfirepro

Cool, i have a tin of it and tried it and thought it was too light, and as you say it is very very matt. I also thought it would be easily ruined with greasy fingers/dirt etc.

If you haven't already, it may be worth you having a goosy at the relevant sales brochures on the french forum. (Imo) the colour should be much much darker than the pug can of paint, and not unlike the interior trim colour.

i ended up getting paint mixed (with matting agent) a smidgen darker than the backside of trims from two different Ph1.5 cars, which all my kit, sunroof, and bumpers were eventually done with at the paint shop (with a haze of texturiser on top of plasti primer).... To give you an idea of cost the painter said it would be around £600 if i was to get them painted separately.

If you want, for comparison I can dig out the paint code i used and a paint supplier could probably show you the colour i finally picked.

Just chuckin my tu'pence in as i see the great effort you're putting in. Hope you don't take it the wrong way.

Jack,

I don't take anything the wrong way as I'm still learning, rather people speak up if there are better ways of doing things, particularly when I want to produce the best car I can.

Paint codes would be good, also pics if possible. One of my fears (having some trim painted and some new trims unpainted) is that when I get the car out of the dingy garage and into sunlight it will look like patchwork quilt. Was also thinking about the U-pol products I recently used on the rear spoilers, they have a "205 Grey" that I used and it was darker.

My other concern on the trims is how durable the paint will be in the long run?

Did you use any special surface treatments before spraying?

Thanks for that, I think others have done it your way as well, so it's the way I'll do it.

Tom Fenton

Hi Paul, I think all those clips are no use at all, you had better send them to me to dispose of them for you!