• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mrfirepro

[Car_Restoration] My 1989 205 1.9 Gti Restoration Project

mrfirepro

Pics to follow, but just completed the front struts and fitted them to the car.

Now I'm in a position to test the brakes and check for leaks, the whole system is virtually new (reconditioned calipers) and a new master cylinder.

What is the best Brake fluid to use (make and type please) (standard road use, no track use)?

I will have a read of the Haynes manual but is it as simple as...

fill resevoir

open bleed nippple

pump brake pedal until fluid runs out clear

then repeat for each caliper?

Is this all possible without the engine running?

thanks

jackherer

Yes that's pretty much what the haynes says and it gives you the order to bleed the calipers in too. I'd get a pressure bleeder like a gunsons ez bleed though, it makes it much easier and it's kinder on the master cylinder (although that isn't much of an issue for you as yours is new.)

And you don't need the engine running for any method of brake bleeding but sometimes you wont notice a spongy pedal until the servo is working so it might need another bleed when you get it running.

mrfirepro

Thanks,

Been reading lots about brake fluid, and am more confused than when I started(Dot4,5,5.1 ...wet & dry boiling points...Silicone based etc etc...)

I guess standard DOT4, good well known brand....Y/N? (perhaps Motul?)

I have also read that some of the colored fluids stain the reservoir, any experience of this as I have a new reservoir and dont want it stained.

Edited by mrfirepro

jackherer

Yes, standard DOT 4 will be fine. I've never heard of coloured fluids staining reservoirs but it wouldn't surprise me.

It can be useful to alternate between coloured and clear fluids each time you change it, then you know you've fully bled a line when the fluid changes colour.

• Like 1

mrfirepro

All the pictures from this update are here

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/library/205%20projects/23%20June%2014

Been a mixed couple of weeks with some decent progress and some massive backward steps.

The good news is that the new engine fired up first time and ran for about 20 seconds before I switched it off (as no cooling installed yet)

However the euphoria was short lived as when I tried to start it again the next day it was stuck solid, finally decided to take the sump off to find some sand in the oil...... :angry: I instantly remembered I had sand blasted the oil pipes between the oil inlet and the cooler and never cleaned then out, hence the sand. I feel highly embarrassed and stupid and decided I would not mention it here, however when it come down to the story of my build it wouldn't have been accurate to leave out this part.

Anyway on a positive note, engine now rebuilt and spotlessly clean, liners, rings and pistons were unmarked, new shells, crank, oil seals, stripped oil pump, full head strip and usual gaskets etc etc....

P1040243_666x500.jpg

Found a new electroplating company, and hopefully this will be the last batch.

P1040197_666x500.jpg

this is the company, very pleased with, quality, price and timescale

P1040199_666x500.jpg

Finally had all the parts to rebuild the front struts and install calipers

P1040296_666x500.jpg

and here they are installed on the car

P1040298_375x500.jpg

P1040307_375x500.jpg

You know sometime your really chuffed with the smallest detail well here's mine

P1040227_666x500.jpg

enough of my indulgance..

also got the wheels back from the powder coater and noticed there are 3 speed line and 2 SMR (are there any difference between them?)

P1040316_666x500.jpg

and the spare wheel cage

P1040317_666x500.jpg

and finally to end this update, is this just me or are others this tidy...... :lol:

P1040321_666x500.jpg

P1040326_666x500.jpg

Thanks for all the support and kind word so far, unfortunately it won't see Pugfest this year.

unariciflocos

SMRs are quite a bit heavier, almost 1 kg from what I can recall.

I wouldn't dare put that thing on the road once it's finished. Don't think it looked as good when it was new.

mrfirepro

God No...I wont be driving it, it may get dirty... :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrfirepro

All the pictures from this update are here

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/slideshow/205%20projects/8%20july%2014

The last couple of weeks have been a bit of a mixed bag finally decided to renew any parts of the engine that have been subjected to the sand so this is on going. So have been getting on with some other items whilst I source and prepare a new engine.

Farmer managed to find me some Brand New OE sunroof trim, unfortunately they were in white

P1040438_666x500.jpg

Peugeot do a special grey plastic trim paint

P1040124_375x500.jpg

P1040123_666x500.jpg

It remains to be seen if they can survive typical UK weather, but quite pleased with the finish (Others have used this to make black bumpers grey)

P1040439_666x500.jpg

Also bought the OEM BBM rubber water hoses and my first impression is that they are really good and are very close to the OE finish.

P1040394_666x500.jpg

Have fitted rear bumper

P1040465_666x500.jpg

Exhaust

P1040457_666x500.jpg

Front Lights

P1040379_666x500.jpg

Also been experimenting with this stuff

P1040385_666x500.jpg

Quite pleased with the results for the bonnet panel and radiator housing/cover

P1040386_666x500.jpg

P1040452_666x500.jpg

also decided to recondition the original jack and finally assemble the front driving lamps

P1040366_666x500.jpg

and finally late one night, in the garage I was joined by a little helper.....

P1040357_666x500.jpg

Didn't half frighten the SH1T out of me as it hit me square on in the back of the neck (it's over an inch across)

Juttie205

the plating company you used is close to me what was the price for all the plating you had done.

mrfirepro

Timoth123 gave me the heads up on this company, I think he had a bit more done than me and it was about £30

mrfirepro

All pictures from this update are here.

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/slideshow/205%20projects/20%20july%2014

started trying to get the sunroof finished, Farmer came up trumps again and managed to find me some OE tape for the sunroof

P1040486_666x500.jpg

considering the age of the tape it was in excellent condition and went on a breeze

P1040493_666x500.jpg

Finally got to use some more shiney shiney bits..

P1040496_666x500.jpg

P1040499_666x500.jpg

P1040505_666x500.jpg

Unfortunately euphoria was short lived when I realised I didn't have any of the seven bolts that go across and behind the sunroof

P1040501_666x500.jpg

Got on the Farmer hot line, and as by magic some will be with me next week

Also fitted new window rubber runners in both doors...what a pig of a job, if anyone else has to do this job, put the rubbers in the runners first, fit runners, then fit the rubbers to the door, if only I'd done this to start with

P1040515_666x500.jpg

P1040511_666x500.jpg

fitted my rebuilt wiper assembly

P1040521_666x500.jpg

P1040520_375x500.jpg

and finally fitted a few bits and bobs from Pug

Spoiler fixings

P1040525_666x500.jpg

P1040527_666x500.jpg

Jack fixings

P1040528_666x500.jpg

P1040540_666x500.jpg

Tailgate board fixings

P1040531_666x500.jpg

P1040532_666x500.jpg

and bodywork grommets..

P1040522_666x500.jpg

Scuttle fitted

P1040523_666x500.jpg

Hopefully should have the block and head back from being vapour blasted this week and can go about getting the engine rebuilt....

Juttie205

Got any sunroof tape left you want to sell?

GLPoomobile

When you fitted the wiper assembly back on, did you remember to get the spindles on the correct sides? As in they are subtley different lengths so that the passenger arm sweeps a wider arc.

mrfirepro

When you fitted the wiper assembly back on, did you remember to get the spindles on the correct sides? As in they are subtley different lengths so that the passenger arm sweeps a wider arc.

your a star ..didn't notice that. Bit of a problem though, had about six of these and selected the best two for plating, what are the chances I've plated two of the right ones :o

So there will be a longer one and a shorter one, the longer one is the passenger side?

Going to measure them now...

mrfirepro

what are the chances of that, drivers side 80mm, passengers side 85mm (passenger side has a hole on the middle, I guess for identification), think I'm going to play the lottery this week......

not only plated the right two out of six (5 actually as I broke 1 ) then got them the right way round, what are the odds of that....answers on a post card..

Edited by mrfirepro

Juttie205

The sunroof bolts you have used did you put in with the fibre washer on or did you leave off only ask as would get mine plated but would have to destroy fibre washers.

timoth123

Awesome work as ever paul, looking very good!

Juttie, You should use new fiber washers, when you use them first they compress, used again and you might not get as good a seal as the first time. A leaky sunroof after all this work is the last thing you want. I just ordered some M4 fiber washers from eBay. Job done.

Juttie205

Thats great thats all I needed to hear thanks

jackherer

Don't buy over priced ones that say 205 GTI in the listing, they should only be a few pence.

Juttie205

No worries have found some for pence really making a start on stockpiling parts ready for day car goes back together.

mrfirepro

Back to the wiper arms, been thinking about this and I thought the longer one (with the hole in) should be on the passenger side, but a shorter arm would provide a wider arc......

could someone have a look at their car and tell me which side the spindle with the hole is on. (expect it to be drivers side, the opposite way to the way I have fitted them)

thanks

mrfirepro

Time for another update,

All the photos in this update are here..

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/slideshow/205%20projects/4%20Aug%2014

Finally managed to find a block without any corrosion, I dont know how this has survived but it looks like brand new internally,

P1040546_666x500.jpg

strangely there is more than the usual amount of corrosion on the outside!!!!

P1040551_666x500.jpg

Had the block, head, and gearbox casings vapor blaster by TSR in Sevenoaks, which I then painted with Hycote engine enamel before a 2 hour bake at 250 degress

P1040700_666x500.jpg

P1040565_666x500.jpg

Refurbed the car jack, Tom Fenton kindly made a replacement pin (Thanks Tom) as the original has to be destroyed to disassemble the jack, am pleased with the results.

P1040572_666x500.jpg

More plating, I hope this is the last batch (Electroplate (UK) have been brilliant)

P1040577_375x500.jpg

Quite pleased with this mod, used OEM connectors with new speakers

P1040701_666x500.jpg

Finally got around to using the soundproofing/insulation that I bought from Cloverdale...this stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-underfelt-soundproofing-sound-deadening-underlay-LB-/180579062315?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a0b59d22b

As it is about half the thickness of the original I decided to use two layers that I was going to glue together, finally decided not to glue them as the glue may go hard and brittle after a few years.

took original for both front and back, going to do the same with the boot at some stage in the future.

P1040645_666x500.jpg

Marked outline

P1040648_666x500.jpg

cut out

P1040656_666x500.jpg

did this twice, this is the end result

P1040659_666x500.jpg

Both front and back

P1040667_666x500.jpg

And finally a bit of help..

After dismantling my gear box I found this and have no idea where it came from, I have assembled the box and all seems fine, am hoping that someone can put my mind at rest as I'm not 100% sure it's from the gear box. (it's very solid and impossible to bend, some sort of hardened or sprung steel)

P1040694_666x500.jpg

I hope to have all my engine components back from the machine shop by the end of next week, so the engine can be put back in. Also hope to complete the sunroof install this week. (just waiting for some sunroof bolts from Farmer, who performed miracles to find them for me)

that's all for now, thanks for dropping by... :D

Edited by mrfirepro

welshpug

looks like an outer CV retaining clip.

james_pug

How many meters of the carpet underlay did you use? The cars looking amazing!

mrfirepro

James,

Thanks

I ordered 3m originally but that only did the two rear ones and one front, I ordered another 3m to do the other front one and some spare to do the boot insulation, but I cant find the boot insulation at the moment so was guessing a bit.

If you want to do them all at double thickness I think you will need 6m, there is a bit of waste as the front mat is wider than 1.37m so has to be cut length ways.

Also in hindsight I should have held out and got a really sharp pair of scissors, as the edges could have looked a lot neater and the radiuses (if that a word) a lot sharper

Edited by mrfirepro