• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

3D Printing 205 Parts

DC2T

Cheers, certainly mate. I can make any badge to fit the standard pattern base

pugdamo

Thats just for one model, what you can do though is fit as many as you can into one build area so it may well become cheaper. id have to look into that really. 60 quid for plastic covers is a bit steep id say.

Thats a real shame,that is a bit steep,the group buy of the stainless ones are £60 plus postage so tbh i would rather pay £60 for those.Thankyou for trying though.

jackherer

As above I would definitely buy some if the price was right but currently the stainless ones are winning.

DC2T

I totally agree mate, on this occassion id say go for stainless. Ill try and find out what their build envelope is and try and configure as many surrounds, blocks etc i can inside it. And try and get the best quotes possible

cybernck

Stew/BBM is currently developing reflectors, so it will be interesting to see if it all fits together in the end :D.

1897717_846732832020556_34959465_n.jpg

• Like 1

DC2T

Oh 4th axis billet ones? Theyll be nice although id imagine theyll not be cheap.

audiobull

DC2T can i pm you with some questions please? thinking of getting one myself in the next few weeks

I seriously hope that there is a future for car parts in 3D printing, whatever the material may be needed. It could spell the end of unavailable or sky rocket prices for parts.

Think about where this could be in, say, 10 years?

Do you mean we might be able to make a fit blonde supermodel at home?????????????? cant wait.

DC2T

Yeh certainly mate

pugdamo

2014-05-26%2012.22.15_zpsikrvgtoo.jpg

Heres a pic of the badge you asked for,dimensions are good,will post again when i find time to paint it,fingers crossed it comes out ok.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

DC2T

Cheers mate, ill drop the rads on those corners as they look a little big.

Bit of an update, I've been back in touch with the company i got the quotes from. Im waiting on some quotes coming back for the badges too. Benefits of this will be lower cost to you (cant say for 100% but pretty damn confident) and a better surface to paint on. Ill let you all know when i get the quotes back.

I'm also looking at either making a 3D scanner myself or finding somewhere that will do scanning for me, that way i can catalogue any Peugeot part we want :D

• Like 1

notamondayfan

If you want to print the driving light surrounds, you're best off using a company that doesn't work on overall volume, like that 3Dprinting UK does, as you have a lot of dead space in the centre of the print, which they still charge for.

Instead try shapeways, as they calculate cost by object volume, which in the case of the surrounds wouldn't be very much.

Just so you know, nylon will still need some good finishing after printing, it's quite rough, and on certain gradients you can see the layer heights.

As for 3D scanning, I've been looking into this too, and it's bloody expensive. For something with the tolerances needed to scan these types of items, you'll be spending £10k + easily. I know at Huddersfield Uni they have a s*it hot 3D scanner you can rent, so maybe someone near you has one?

Dean

DC2T

Yeh thats the thing im trying to find, i know a uni near me used to offer 3d printing so may have a scanner too. Im gonna speak to 3dprinting and see how they work it out, if i can squeeze in a load of vertical badges inside the frame it may work out alright. The quotes i had back werent too bad just the frame was expensive

DC2T

Also for finishing, glass bead blasting is supposed to be really good

notamondayfan

You might be able to just use a high build primer to give a good smooth finish.

By the way I invested in a 3D printer a few weeks ago, still getting use to it, but have plenty of ideas!

By the way have you tried acetone for smoothing ABS prints? I've had some good results for miniature characters.

DC2T

ah welcome to the club lol, which did you buy? acetone doesnt work with PLA unfortunately or i would have done. Im gonna be sticking an order in for some taulman nylon and some t-glase soon which it may work with

notamondayfan

I went for the budget FlashForge but I'm still very impressed with it!

Acetone only works with ABS prints, and makes em look really cool, but it's easy to melt prints too!! Just experimenting with PLA now, and seems to be better than ABS. Check out my instagram feed http://instagram.com/punch_ard_digital which show some recent prints and tests.

Dean

DC2T

will do mate, are you using an acetone vapour bath or actually putting it on the plastic ?

notamondayfan

I did it with acetone vapour, cold. In a jar, put acetone in the bottom, raise your print, then seal and leave for a few hours. I also added paper wicks that touch the acetone and draw it up, so more vapour can circulate. There's really no need to start heating acetone in my opinion.

Ballyafb

A quick google of cheap 3d scanners brings up that anything under £1000 is still in development, and its pre orders only. people have made their own using xbox kinect scanners but dont think they would be great on detail, as they are designed to see people in a room, not 0.1mm details!

DC2T

the detail can be ok from what ive seen but not intricate detail. If you could scan and modify properly with demensions itd be great

notamondayfan

You can probably pick up a small desktop laser scanner for under £1000, and that would be more accurate, but it can be very glitchy too. I really wouldn't recommend scanning these types of items unless you have a s*it hot scanner, as you'll spend more time cleaning the scan up, rather than just measuring it and creating it by hand.

I'm actually going to have a play with the Kinect for scanning, I have a potential client who want to 3D print their clothing, which I think budget 3D scanning is more suited for.

Maso

Ok , heres the badges ive done so far. Ive been tweeking the speeds etc and managed to alter the retraction etc on the parts so may give a better top layer quality with less machine marks. Ill print a few tonight and see what they look like once ive finished my spool holder

Untitled_zps6595f45f.png

Im very interested in T16 badge and Turbo badge. Dont remember with holidays if you have any GUTMANN badges? But a Gutmann badge is also of interest.

Maso

This badge?

:)

That's Gutmanns own "homemade" badge, Nice one tho.

Maso

I fully agree with every comment about the MC bottle, and would hate for something to fail because of it. but yeh id certainly try the block itself

Gutmann emblems can be done easy enough, all i need is one to copy from. Or someone to take some measurements of an existing one and ill make a model myself

Has any one helped you out with the needed info you needed as I am interested in such a badge?

Maso

I would love if possible to get a TURBO badge off a PORSCHE. Is this possible you think?