• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

3D Printing 205 Parts

ALEX

Did anyone try to print a gear knob?

I've got the trainee modelling up my broken one in solidworks and i'm going to look into getting one printed.

• Like 1

farmer

If you need a new complete one I have a few if it comes to it, drop me a PM if required.

• Like 1

notamondayfan

Alex, send over the 3D file and I can run it through my printer as a test if you like?

Dean

• Like 1

ALEX

The new lad has spent all day on it, looks good. Just got a few finishing touches and it should be ready.

What format do you want it in?

It might also need some work, I.e. make it hollow possibly to save on plastic as I think hes modeled it solid.

Pm me your email and ill send you the file tomorrow.

DC2T

I would love if possible to get a TURBO badge off a PORSCHE. Is this possible you think?

Yeh that would be easy enough to do aswell id imagine, got a pic of it ? with the sizes etc

Has any one helped you out with the needed info you needed as I am interested in such a badge?

Yeh i got the overall sizes from a few members on here. I printed out a Turbo badge for Pugdamo on here, not sure if he got it painted etc. For some reason only 1 emails came through about responses to this post which is why its been so long since i checked it lol. I sent out for some quotes on the badges but nothing came back which was a bit annoying, i wasnt happy with the surface finish once painted and figured an SLA print would paint up better. Ive actually just made some custom centre caps for my honda too as my new wheels didnt have caps.

20141008_025403_zpstb0g2cgl.jpg

20141008_025351_zpsu7v1itpr.jpg

Same thing would apply really, any custom image can be put on the fronts :)

Did anyone try to print a gear knob?

I've got the trainee modelling up my broken one in solidworks and i'm going to look into getting one printed.

I was offered one to copy but never got round to it tbh, i can also give it a go if you can send me a file :)

• Like 1

ALEX

The model is finished, but it may need some work. It's also a BE1 type for lift up reverse, though it shouldn't be too hard to change to BE3, but I don't have a BE3 knob to copy.

Anyone who wants the Cad file PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Also state the format you require.

Alex

• Like 1

notamondayfan

Alex, being solid is probably preferential to be honest, so long as you leave holes for gear stick and the top insert.

The way my 3D printer works is that it would build the outside shell as solid, then create a lattice on the inside which supports the shell, but also makes the prints very strong and also light weight.

Will PM you my email.

klarky

if those centre caps are printed in abs why not try wiping them with bit of acetone on a rag or build a little sealed chamber and vaporise the acetone, it supposedly smooths the surface of abs prints. I've tried with nail polish remover but its not strong enough to melt abs. i want to try this and also something called mek, which will do a similar job but not had a chance to experiment.

Yeh that would be easy enough to do aswell id imagine, got a pic of it ? with the sizes etc

Yeh i got the overall sizes from a few members on here. I printed out a Turbo badge for Pugdamo on here, not sure if he got it painted etc. For some reason only 1 emails came through about responses to this post which is why its been so long since i checked it lol. I sent out for some quotes on the badges but nothing came back which was a bit annoying, i wasnt happy with the surface finish once painted and figured an SLA print would paint up better. Ive actually just made some custom centre caps for my honda too as my new wheels didnt have caps.

I was offered one to copy but never got round to it tbh, i can also give it a go if you can send me a file :)

DC2T

Acetone baths work well, but these arnt in abs. Thats printed in PET but i usually use PLA which afaik dont work with acetone

notamondayfan

Acetone in nail polish remover works well on ABS. I put some in a sealed jar, with a print raised, then leave it for 24 hours + for the vapour to do it's magic.

Acetone doesn't work on PLA, as that's a different kind of plastic. ABS is oil based, PLA is plant based.

Jez G

My newly printed gear knob thanks to Alex. A bit of paint and my old badge and I will have the job done !

post-7026-0-17486900-1412946444_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jez G
  • Like 1

DC2T

Is this on an sla?

DC2T

Nice, is it yours or do you work with it?

ALEX

Cool!

Josh, who modeled it will be chuffed to bits when I show him this on monday.

It should get him motivated to model the insert.

(Hes been allowed time to practice at work, but I dont know how long for).

Is the Be3 the same but without the recess for the lift up collar?

Not sure how to replicate the print on the underside of the insert, but I was thinking the font could be recessed on the underside of the clear plastic to be filled with red paint then the back painted black.

Edited by ALEX
  • Like 1

DC2T

Its good modelling mate, not exactly straight forward. I cant see the file as mines 2013 buts its using lofts and sweeps id imagine, when you import a step file it doesnt import the individual steps of how you created the part, just the finished article. Ill be able to see exactly how hes done it if and when i get sw14, i was pondering how to do it myself and still retain dimensional accuracy of all the sweeps in all axes so im curious now lol.

I need to get some more PLA which ill be ordering on wednesday, the PET i have now is good but its a really slow print for me. That gearknob is 17 hours lol vs 6 in PLA.

ALEX

Theres not many features he used to create the part, though it did take him a few attempts.

I told him scurtineers at motoring events will be measuring the exactness of his gearknob to the original and they will be getting marked down on points if its out of tolerance. He sounded confident it was an exact copy, until I told him that.

DC2T

yeh it shouldnt be too many parts, the part im interested in is whether its swept/lofted between the cross sections, or whether hes done it by cutting out shapes and rounding the rest together. Theres no real right or wrong way as long as the end result is what youre after.

And yeh, for original copies people want them to be exact, thats why ive never been that happy about my badges. For me i couldnt care less but for someone wanting 100% perfection they wont do... for now :)

ALEX

He used lofts and guide curves I think.

I leant hIm a pair of calipers to measure it, but chances are its slightly different to the original. Another option would be to use the 3d scanner at Huddersfield university which did get considered!

Maso

Sizes on the turbo badge from Porsche i dont know at this moment. Here is a link to a exact pic of the design style though.

http://www.vertexauto.com/UserData/Images/Large/2488.jpg

there is a small difference to the old classic shown above to this newer design on the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KJ61XCO/ref=asc_df_B00KJ61XCO3374764?tag=thefind0167413-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B00KJ61XCO&linkCode=asn

This might be of help ;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Turbo-Emblems-Badge-Mustang-Covette-Camaro-Charger-2pc-Emblem-Set/251598646981?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D26942%26meid%3D6650b8bf52064bc2b421c160c5011e58%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11184%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D150971573129&rt=nc

ALEX

My newly printed gear knob thanks to Alex. A bit of paint and my old badge and I will have the job done !

Any one got one of these fitted?

DC2T

Ill have a proper look at those when im home maso, i got my new material through today alex so ill try mine out once im home. Wont be quite as nice of a finish but should be dimensionally correct

• Like 1

Jez G

Alex - I've not got round to it yet. But it looks like I will have to drill the hole out first as the material I've used is not felexible. Maybe I will have to use silicon to atach it to the lever.

• Like 1

FarmerPug

Ive just been reading through this thread and i find it very interesting its great to see 3d printing being used to make hard to get parts.

At the moment im out on placement in an Engineering company i work in the design office on solidworks (i also used solid edge at uni for about 6 months but i wasnt a huge fan of that software), but our machines are mostly big balers and compactors made from box section or folded sheet steel so the parts are not too tricky to model up in solidworks.

I have got a few bits and bobs sent off to the 3d printers in the past; the phone mount in my 406, a few gears for a friends paper shredder and an adapter that connects a 1/4 ratchet to the manual window winder mechanism on a mercedes sprinter.

The gearknob in my 305 has dinintegrated and it would be something i wouldnt mind trying at modelling up, but what way is the best technique to get its shape in solidworks?

Maso

So what would be the next natural step for a T16 badge and a Turbo Badge?

Dimma text in such wheel cap would be nice or just a lions head same as peugeot's logo.