• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wracing

[project] Peugeot 205 Twin Turbo

wracing

Its finished, I'll upload dynos when I get them scanned in. Not really fussed about selling to be honest this year I am looking at running in the British super kart championship so don't have the time to run both. If I cant find a good home by march then it will be gaining a supercharger, billet crank and the development will continue.

I'm looking at leaving the 205 fold and going over to a fiesta ST for rallying hence not just keeping it.

James

• Like 1

cybernck

Well please update this topic from the point you had left it at until present :).

hudson

its on ebay for sale at the moment 9k not sure wether it would be still legal to rally these days though

tommy gun

get some more pics on the listing.

wracing

Had the day off work and made some progress today.

The engine is back out for a new manifold, turbo, supercharger & a custom billet crank.

We have some new shiny bits.

New dry sump pump, throttle bodies, flywheel & gear set.

Today progress rebuilt the gearbox

Cut and welded the bell housing to improve clearance on the sub frame.

Test fit the new throttle bodies and the main progress was mounting the super chager and figuring the belt route

The supercharger is a Eaton M112 that I have shortened the nose by 130mm from what i can find this is the only one shortened ever :)

554359_10150698784186839_700946838_9018747_5611523_n.jpg

526344_10150698784591839_700946838_9018749_1886629402_n.jpg

Looking to get all the engine mods finished over easter.

Thanks

James

peter

Where are the 1132hp dyno runs? whats the manifold boost pressure?

Rippthrough

The supercharger is a Eaton M112 that I have shortened the nose by 130mm from what i can find this is the only one shortened ever :)

James

I've got one ;)

wracing

peter project thread mate not keyboard warrior zone.

I knew as i wrote it some one would have one. How did you re spline the coulper? I ended up putting a keyway in :(

James

Baz

You can't really call people keyboard warriors for asking you to back up such wild claims James, it's fair enough for anyone to hold such curiosity!

• Like 1

wracing

No there is a thread dealing with such claims why is there any need to post in multiple topics? no....no need what so ever.

James

Edited by wracing
  • Like 1

Rippthrough

I knew as i wrote it some one would have one. How did you re spline the coulper? I ended up putting a keyway in :(

James

Ground a bit for the lathe and just fed it back and forth using the tailstock. Soul-destroyingly long but it worked.

Problem is, charger is a bit tired so really could do with another :(

wracing

Ground a bit for the lathe and just fed it back and forth using the tailstock. Soul-destroyingly long but it worked.

Problem is, charger is a bit tired so really could do with another :(

I couldn't believe that the spline held it was so shallow. They don't cost much to rebuild. the rear bearings are a pain but nothing to worry about. I ended up taking 130mm off makes a nice small package.

James

Rippthrough

There's some rotor damage on this one from s*it getting through the filters, easier to get another one than fix this.

peter

Genuine question mate, as a fellow engineer.

People must have more questions surly?? What rpm overlap valve springs fuel etc etc,

Better than the "wkd car" comments.

Cameron

Let's be fair here.. in the last post that had anything to do with the engine build you were making a dry sump pan. To go from that to casually mentioning you managed to get over 1100bhp out of it on an engine dyno, with absolutely no update or info, I can see where people's scepticism comes from!

To just come back to the build saying it made that power with absolutely no proof, but you've stripped the engine and are now trying something else is a bit of a cop-out if you ask me.

I don't get the impression anyone's being a "keyboard warrior", I think he's just genuinely interested to see how you did it!

So on behalf of everyone.. PLEASE show us some details of the finished product, and the dyno plots! :lol:

• Like 5

madaxgt

1100 pmsl.

Various things mentioned in the thread that make that impossible.

Interesting project either way.

wracing

Just to try and fill in the blanks.....

We changed the head, cams and converted it to solid lifters for a higher RPM limit

We dyno'd the engine in its front wheel drive format and had staging issues with the turbos.

This was corrected by changing the poppet type waste gates for butterflies.

We melted the small turbo turbine wheel so this was replaced with an uprated wheel of a different material

We swapped to a MAF/MAP arrangement a MAF to cover the lower rpm/load range switching to map when in boost.

On the first run we did after running the cams in properly the front bearing locked up that was the end of that day on the dyno.

The decision was made to convert to rear wheel drive we fabricated a log manifold (available soon) managed to reuse a lot of the existing plumbing that we had made on the exhaust side. On running the engine we had a really funny harmonic at 4.5k which induced a strange vibration through out the car. Power was defiantly down some we expected because of the manifold change and a few other bits.

We where going to sell up and had some really good offers but never really wanted her to go plus didn't really have a proper reason.

I was doing a bit of maintenance changing the sump filters before marham track day and noticed that all 4 rods had been slightly bent you could see this when you have a straight edge against the side of the rod. Also between 2 and 3 cylinders a long hairline crack on the crank that had split along the line of the oil drilling. I will post some pictures when we actually strip the engine.

I cant quite believe how lucky I am that the whole engine didn't grenade.

So on the cards is a new crank(really needed to do anyway) and rods we are having a billet one fabricated as we speak.

We are upgrading the manifold to a tubular.

Redesigning the rear subframe.

Why the supercharger.....You will understand when you see the power graph lol.

Once we have repaired it we will redyno it. We know what ball park power it is making for the amount of fuel/air its consuming so we are confident in the figure, we just want to do it again to be sure and that the engine doesn't grenade every time :)

James

Edited by wracing

wracing

Progress this weekend.

529942_10150709824656839_700946838_9062980_497273278_n.jpg

Manifold all tacked up and ready for welding really wanted to do this in stainless but I just couldn't stretch this time.

526777_10150709824801839_700946838_9062981_640464353_n.jpg

The manifold, Almost equal length cyl 2 30mm to long but Im going to shorten this, I was rushing.

557701_10150709824931839_700946838_9062982_1279297291_n.jpg

Fabricated a rear beam jig so we can drill the hole in the new subframe in there perfect position.

305556_10150709825101839_700946838_9062983_1868272287_n.jpg

New subframe fabricated I'm just waiting for the solid mounting bushes to come from yank.

545664_10150709825196839_700946838_9062984_1446058198_n.jpg

We just have to add a couple of gussets.

Thanks

James

Edited by wracing

James504

Haha that crazy! Great work!

GLPoomobile

James, please take this as constructive criticism. Unlike some others, I'm not here to try and antogonise you in to an argument over power figures or call it outright bulls*it.

The way I read your latest update, I'm still left with questions/confusion over the series of events and the actual 1100bhp result. This 1100bhp is absolute key, becase it is such an extraordinary figure that it's bound to be controversial, and if nothing else, people are going to be fascinated about what was involved. Now don't get me wrong, I realise you need to keep certain details a secret, but you do (when you have a bit more time) need to put some proper meat on the bones, because at the moment this is reading far too vague.

For example, you said in the other topic about the 1100+ result being on a dyno (and I read it as being on an engine dyno rather than rolling road). Is this correct? Your above update seems to imply (to me) that the 1100+ bhp is actually an estimate on potential based on flow :blink:

Whether you like it or not, the cat is now amongst the pigeons and you have to deal with it :lol:

• Like 1

wracing

Fair comment, the power figure has been produced by an engine dyno, I was saying that even though the dyno failed on the run, we are happy that the results are about right due to the amount of fuel/air consumed.

The engine was dynoed nearly a year ago with hind sight I shouldn't have posted on the forum. we aren't at a point in time to make claims as the engine that produced the figures is one revolution from going pop.

I should have kept shut until ready really.

James

GLPoomobile

To be fair James, it's not really your fault as you've never made that claim on the forum. This only came to light after someone spotted the manifold on eBay, with the bhp claim noted within the listing.

Such a claim was never going to go past quietely, particularly on here :lol:

kyepan

Massive turbo, Stroked, no reason why it can't produce stupid power in my opinion, exact figures might be contentious but plenty of 2L cars are up in the high hundreds or nudging a thousand. Check the many rolling road videos and big tuner results. We already know how good the MI head is in comparison to many other similar designs from the japs.

How long it lasts in that state of tune is a totally different discussion.

Either way, well done for posting up an interesting project. Everyone on here was wetting their knickers last week about the lancia group b car with turbo and supercharging.

When you have some more info on the build spec and videos, please don't feel restrained to share. There will be some restrained scepticism no doubt, but we just love the details of how on here a little bit more than most places. Plus most people tune NA here also, there are few turbo 8v's and even fewer 16v examples, so this is well out of the left field and away from the ITBS circa 200bhp normal high tune fodder.

Cheers

J

Edited by kyepan

peter

Just out of curiosity, what boost pressure did you run? Was the CR anything special? Megasquirt gets slated but clearly it works well enough...

I'm not questing the figure at all btw, I just want to know how it's possible :D

Cameron

Megasquirt only gets slated because of the type of people who tend to buy it. If you know exactly what you're doing (as I'm sure James does) then I bet you'd have a pretty easy time, similar to any aftermarket management; it's the people who have no idea and buy it purely because it's 'cheap' that seem to have problems.

(I say 'cheap' because while the initial cost may be low, paying someone to fault-find is much more expensive!)