• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

[car_upgrade] Project Pug, 205 Rallye (my First Project!)

Pugs in Pieces

liking this thread, im just in the process of doing this to my white 1.6, if mine is not finished before yours i might have to sneak a look. just outside devizes myself.

allye

liking this thread, im just in the process of doing this to my white 1.6, if mine is not finished before yours i might have to sneak a look. just outside devizes myself.

Your quite welcome too! Where abouts are you?

Pugs in Pieces

at the moment the car is in devizes, will be in seend from next month. i live in roundway.

shalmaneser

Productive day! I bought the ready converted exhaust from the laser Spikey was breaking, I was very worried about it being too loud but he assures me its not too bad, but of modifying to the centre exhaust mount so it sat low enough not to foul on the gear linkages (read: hitting it with a hammer in a vice :lol:) Fits perfect now though, new fitting kit and clamp does the job nicely.

I think it looks quite nice, a little bigger than I thought it would be! Also finished messing around with the alternator set up and got the new brake pads in and will bleed it tomorrow, new plan is to buy a ready converted loom from someone to get it running then take it to Miles to get the gauges working.

take it to miles by all means but i found getting the gauges working very little effort. If everything is wired in as per the wiring guide then the only thing that needs doing is a blob of solder on the rev counter as mentioned on the wiring thread - just make sure you solder it up right - unlike me!

Flozman

Nice progress mate, but I would not run rubber fuel hoses under your car. If you flick up something off the road like i often do, it could slice open exposing fuel to a hot exhaust.

MikeM

Any update on this project?

Love this car!

allye

Wait for tomorrow/friday, its gunna be a biggun' !

:ph34r:

rallyeash

crashed it?? :unsure:

:lol:

allye

crashed it?? :unsure:

:lol:

not had the chance to yet :lol:

allye

Riiighhhttttt, firstly no pictures because I can't find the lead so you'll have to make do until I can find it!

Last time I updated this I was putting the exhaust on, and now its done :lol:sinse then I'v done all the important things, got a converted loom from spikey and a lights engine bay loom from a GTI at the scrap yard, apart from not connecting up the shunt box and having a coupole wires round the wrong way it fired up fired up after only a couple turn overs, to start with it was tapping like a bag of s*ite and was bricking it to say the least :rolleyes: but my mechanic friend assured me it just the oil working its way round and sure enough after a couple mins (of not revving just leaving to idle) it quietened right down and now runs smooth as anything. After I got the radiator sorted, battery tray in and finally clutch cable done I put the interior in and all the dash (with working coin tray haaaa)

Then moved onto trying to get it MOT readyish, 20 year old electrics, 3 seperate looms working together and all been standing for 7months+ meant there were loads of light problems! Just a case of cleaning earths and replacing fuses (with hours of multimeter poking inbetween dry.gif )

Then came the brakes, I'd tried bleeding them once and it hadn't worked so just put it down to me, but 3 bleeds later and was getting no where, turned out using the pressure bleeder was sucking air in betwwen the fluin tank and m/s, new (£72!) m/s later and its still not bleeding correctly. turned out to be my 2nd hand compensator was fooked so have just taken it out and on the 7th bleed a nice firm pedal that pulls up really straight and sharp, happy days.

I was really hoping to get it MOT'd today but the brakes took longer than I thought and missed them by a couple hours so its going in monday. Also been doing the tracking, tidying engine bay wires and adjusting lights so it should pass :mellow:

At present I have no speedo (spun the gearbox end of the wire and the guage move so something missing in the drive unit!?) no rev guage (very intermitent) no oil pressure guage but I don't care! Little things that can be sorted after and not MOT required. Will try and add photos when I polish it next week! Took it for a short spin (I'm insured) up the road (on a very quite straight country road) and even not opening it at all it made a big impression. Can't wait!

allye

Forgot to say the manifold melted a bulk head bung :lol: some heat protecting has to be done, didn't appreciate these got up to 350 degrees so quick! (laser thermometer)

rallyeash

nice one, must be chuffed with that

Wallby

How did it get on with the MOT? Bet your really happy with this now after all the work!

allye

8months later and its on the road! Failed first MOT on headlights too high, one number plate light out and fog light switch was sticky. All sorted this monring and now I have a green one with no advirsories ^_^ Road tax done been driving it around most of the day then came back this afternoon and just went over and tightened.checked all the main bolts and suspension bits.

Very very happy! Barely opening it up to let everything settle in and let the head gasket settle and its fooking quick even on partial throttle! I'm happy with it now so I'm taking it down to Weymouth with me tonight, 70miles, see how I get on :lol:

Will add photos at some point, next update will be decals and arches going back on some tarty photos when I'v polished all ready for pugfest!

rallyeash

u camping at pugfest? me and a few mates are going up and camping, planning on having a bbq and a few ciders B)

rallyeash

looks good, clean the tyres next time! i didnt get a chance to have a look around it earlier, maybe another time :)

custard-rallye

makes me want to finish mine looks ace!!

miamichris

I've put those gti cloth seats in my Xs aswell, they really suit it! Well done on the conversion mate, sounds like you're chuffed with it :)

allye

looks good, clean the tyres next time! i didnt get a chance to have a look around it earlier, maybe another time :)

Haha, that was over spray from the underseal. :/ had fun going up the hill today. Yours was crazy quick ash!

Cheers for the comments, I'm so happy with it and it's been 100% so far, i'v done over 250 miles in it the last day!

rallyeash
:):)

allye

I've put those gti cloth seats in my Xs aswell, they really suit it! Well done on the conversion mate, sounds like you're chuffed with it :)

Cheers! As I'm sure you kxnow the originals were buggered, thought about leather but really doesn't suit the car. Future plan is to those recovered in black suede/alcatara (spelling!?) but that can wait till after the coughsuperchargercough!!!

Pugs in Pieces

i have those style seats in the gutmann at the moment too. they seem to be much more hard wearing fabric than the black ones. i assume the fabric is thicker. car looks great, saw you go up the hill but didnt have a look around it. have to pop down the yard.

allye

i have those style seats in the gutmann at the moment too. they seem to be much more hard wearing fabric than the black ones. i assume the fabric is thicker. car looks great, saw you go up the hill but didnt have a look around it. have to pop down the yard.

I'm down in weymouth till September but would love to pop over when I'm back!

allye

Couple of photos going up the hill, didn't intend to go up but for £6 rude not to :lol:

2-2.jpg

1-1.jpg