• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

[car_upgrade] Project Pug, 205 Rallye (my First Project!)

allye

ahh good old base models, never ragged :P

:o cheeky f***er

Wes

i'll give you about 2 weeks until you put the old seats back in. buckets and harnesses are such a pain in the ass on a road car, strapping yourself in every time you get in it and then you wont be able to reach the heater controls or stereo etc.

allye

i'll give you about 2 weeks until you put the old seats back in. buckets and harnesses are such a pain in the ass on a road car, strapping yourself in every time you get in it and then you wont be able to reach the heater controls or stereo etc.

This has crossed my mind, hence not hacking up the original mounts and keeping the seats :lol:

However, only for about 6 weeks whilst I still live in Wiltshire will I be using it as a daily driver. When I live in Weymouth for the summer months I live less than a mile from where I work (the beach :P ) So it only gets used on the odd occasion and when I want to (blasts down the costal road from Wemouth to Bridport on a sunny day :wub: )

stef205

Weymouth or bridport dude what a hole ha come to Lyme Regis instead and enjoy a few beers with a fellow 205er

(null)

allye

Weymouth or bridport dude what a hole ha come to Lyme Regis instead and enjoy a few beers with a fellow 205er

(null)

Haha, indeed. I love Lyme, lovely little town. However as far as lifeguarding goes there isn't much going on. I lifeguarded there summer of 2010, Weymouth has a lot more going on for me, plus at Weymouth we get a boat to mess about in! You must know the road then? We should have a little meet in the summer!?

Wes

i always do i good run from yeovil to westbay in the evenings going from sherborne to westbay in the summer so we could have a mini meet. last year we raced the bikers and almost kept up :ph34r:

was funny when we all stopped in westbay and them asking what we had under the bonnet lol. was me and a mate in his 1.8t golf running about 230bhp

stef205

Yes I do know the roads well, spent a lot of time in Weymouth, I'm sure nearer the time we can arrange something.

(null)

allye

Week tomorrow I'll be taxing it so need to get on! Got the bucket seats mounted today and the position is perfect if I say so myself B)

IMG_20120222_140855.jpg

IMG_20120222_170605.jpg

Also got my lift up reverse for 6 speed sorted and fitted. Looks well on the extended lever I think. Just need to heat shrink the top then its done.

IMG_20120222_160754.jpg

IMG_20120222_165733.jpg

allye

Mocked up my Tom F radiator bracket today to trial fit my new (to me) nissens radiator so I could measure what size slim lines I can fit in. I've ordered a 8 and 10 inch slim line suckers to wire into the standard TD fan setup I am running. This should cure my getting warm in traffic problems, old radiator wasn't up to much either.

IMG_20120223_160608.jpg

Doing odd jobs around the bay and getting things bolted on, I realised after I had put it on the strut is on the other way round I've seen people put them on. But it doesn't really matter.

IMG_20120223_144703.jpg

Just a random one

IMG_20120223_171713.jpg

allye

car is pretty much driveable now, got most of it back up together today, fitted my new battery box, 306 not the xsara one I had before.

IMG_20120227_153608.jpg

I am waiting on my slim lines to arrive but I got impaitent today and just fitted my new (to me) nissens radiator to one of Tom's brackets, stuck the standard fans back in to get it running.

IMG_20120227_153628.jpg

Engine bay pretty much there, just need to find a new battery box lid, or I might cable tie mine on :lol: Note I've removed the jack as it chipped my lovely paint, I'll be using a small rachet strap to secure it inside the spare wheel.

IMG_20120227_155944.jpg

With it all back together I `turned my attention to the fluids, starting with the gearbox, problem number 1, gearbox oil filler plug bolts has been cross thread so I can't get it out, not too much of a problem IF it doesn't leak as I can fill it through the breather (messy though) I may try to drill it out tomorrow. So started filling it through the breather and it started coming out through the o/s driver shaft seal <_< problem number 2! So drained the box and will investigate it tomorrow. The are new seals so I imagine I've been simple and put it in the wrong way or something to do with the speedo drive housing as I've had this all apart for the new speedo gears.

IMG_20120227_172236.jpg

Hopefully give it a drive tomorrow.

Edited by allye
  • Like 1

welshpug

were they the type with the plastic ring? they don't go in flush, they should protrude by 1.5mm or thereabouts, details in the Haynes manual :)

allye

were they the type with the plastic ring? they don't go in flush, they should protrude by 1.5mm or thereabouts, details in the Haynes manual :)

I can't remember, I work on the cars at a friends garage so I can get some new ones in an hour or so if needed.

allye

Productive day, first thing to sort was the leaking d/s seal, turned out to be f***ed, even though it was new :huh: must of been me some how, any way a new one was ordered and put in and now its not leaking at all. Also managed to get the cross threaded filler bolt out, clean the threads in the box and replace the bolt with a new copper washer ^_^

IMG_20120228_122313.jpg

I think I may have found the route of my speedo problems, whilst trying to get it in I noticed the end pushed in so won't enage with the speedo drive, new cable on order then, any one come across this before?

IMG_20120228_141929.jpg

My fans arrived as well so got them straight in, I was hoping they would be slim enough to get in on the engine side but they weren't. Once I got my head around which way the fans go for being on the outer side of the rad and hooking them up to the battery to double check I wired them in to my turbo diesel twin fan set up.

IMG_20120228_172225.jpg

Then finally got some fresh coolant in and started bleeding it, but the good old rear cam cover is leaking so I'll re-seal that tomorrow <_< then drive the fooker!

welshpug

probably find nothing wrong with the cable, just that its been forced down against the speedo drive without aligning it properly and the inner is poking into the back of the speedo

allye

Cheers WP, will take it out the back of the speedo and try poking it back through making sure it engages correctly.

I'm now using the cambelt tensioner method for my aux belt but after very short amount of running time it appears it hangs off slightly and is marking the belt already, something to worry about? Thinner belt I guess would solve this?

IMG_20120229_141221.jpg

Got it all running correctly today, took both cam covers off and took all the powder coating off from the under side and gave it a good clean light sand and good bead of gasket sealant so the finally don't leak :mellow: took it for a quick drive and it felt bloody amazing, gear lever is just so amazing to use, buckets feel brilliant, smaller servo hasn't affected braking and I forgot how fooking quick it is not even opening it up.

Also not sure what all you people were on about the 6speed doesn't make turning right that bad you bunch of woofters :ph34r:

allye

So, its been a twatty 2 days! Yesturday the thermostat take off just would not seal, I must of had it off 6 or 7 times. Finally got it to become water tight, then I noticed the rear cam cover had a little drip leak, again. <_<

So today did th cam first thing and went crazy with cleaning a sanding it down to a very clean surface on both sides and was generous with the sealant and now its good to go. The I noticed the wipers were not working, fuse kept blowing, unplugged pretty much everything it feeds and on the verge of driving it up to Anthony to sort I remembered I had, had the steering coloumn off for access to the servo, and indeed i had pinched a couple wires that were shorting out, with that all sorted I just squeezed in a quick wash and she good to go to take over daily duties from the 309 as of tomorrow ^_^

IMG_20120302_174940.jpg

IMG_20120302_175004.jpg

Polish, wax and stickers will be coming along next week.

Wes

i,ve got the same problem with my cam covers leaking :angry: i have resealed them twice so far, so tomorrow i'm gonna spray up my old ones that have still got the origional seals on and put them back on. its sodding annoying.

allye

Well that didn't last long, driving sround fine for about 1hr then loose all power, no lights, smoke from under the bonnet, open it up and the earth wire to the battery is glowing red! :blink:

RAC comes out, try a new lead in case the battery had a fault but it looks like theres a massive short some where which it has developed whilst driving!? will have to a look tomorrow or something.

Fun times....... <_<

allye

So it turned out to be the starter motor at fault and not my wiring thank god. Looks like the solenoid shat itself and didn't disengage, fried my earth is all the damage it did thankfully, this was insulated before....

IMG_20120303_172503.jpg

RAC man came out and recovered me home at about 10pm! Got a new battery and earth cable today from the factors, and Chris aka Pugsinpieces came to my rescue and I got another starter from him tonight and I've just got back from finishing up!

IMG_20120303_195537.jpg

bay.jpg

Just a random one I like where I hope its not going to spend too much more time :lol:

IMG_20120303_195519.jpg

allye

i,ve got the same problem with my cam covers leaking :angry: i have resealed them twice so far, so tomorrow i'm gonna spray up my old ones that have still got the origional seals on and put them back on. its sodding annoying.

My advice would be to make sure both sides are really clean and use good quality gasket sealant and be fairly generous with it! 3rd time round I got it.

First day off work with the car do so I managed to actually clean it. I used Poorboys polish medium abrasive and Poorboys Natty's wax. Now I'm the first to admit I'm no detailer having only waxed it a couple times and polishing it once in my entire ownership of 3 years :huh: But I think I did a half decent job and even masked it up. The I bought the Poorboys products from the advice on here and its come up bloody well after the abuse I've given the paint. Got the decals back on which look 100% and massive thanks to Mr.Goodhand for supplying them.

P1010011.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010022.jpg

Just need to replace a quarter badge thats fallen off and clean the inside, only other plan is to put some sound proofing down and black carpet over the top to try and keep the noise down a little. I have to say I think its looking bang tidy if I do say so myself :wub:

• Like 2

Anthony

I have to say I think its looking bang tidy if I do say so myself :wub:

Very much so - the car is a credit to your hard graft :)

allye

Got my grill fitted, I was going to make some metal brackets for the feet to fit into but wanted to avoid drilling holes in the car, something I have done pretty much this entire time. Instead I used a much more simple way;

IMG_20120312_134746.jpg

IMG_20120312_134737.jpg

about 250 trouble free miles under this time round, also for the first time since the 6' engine install I have a reliable working speedo :D

Edited by allye

Joehow

Really really nice that is.

allye

IMG_20120315_125023.jpg

IMG_20120315_125038.jpg

IMG_20120315_125122.jpg

Silly boy! Greasy roads and good too fast over a crest slight turn, arse started to take control then up and over a verge into a field! Windscreen pooped out slightly and passenger door not closing correctly now = bent chassis. So thats that, its been a lovely car that I've had for over 3 years (only 21 so thats agesss) with great memories so its time to move on, check out the re-shell thread.

end thread/ -_-

custard-rallye

Gutted for you mate another rallye bites the dust :(