• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

[car_upgrade] Project Pug, 205 Rallye (my First Project!)

miamichris
Slow! Will be picking up the engine and various other bits from anthony later this month (the company I work for went into adminastration and i have to claim some wages back! They are now trading under a different name so I still have a job) Next moneth will see the engine bay, wings, doors and bonnet resprayed, then January will be rebuilt beams polybushed subframe, gearbox and hopefully back on its feet, then a few months after that I hope it will be going to Miles for the electrics and wiring to be done.

Well, thats the plan any way! ;) Been following yours as well, when do you plan to finish up?

If you're using the gti subframe, the general concensus is don't bother with polybushes as they're crap! Just use genuine peugeot bushes for the wishbones and anti roll bar (the ARB ones from peugeot are polybushes as standard!) as they will last much longer, don't want you wasting your money! :)

Although for a Tu subframe I love the TI motorsport polybushes, I have all of them on my Xs and they made a great difference!

Anthony
If you're using the gti subframe, the general concensus is don't bother with polybushes as they're crap! Just use genuine peugeot bushes for the wishbones and anti roll bar (the ARB ones from peugeot are polybushes as standard!) as they will last much longer, don't want you wasting your money! ;)

Some polybushes are very poor and flexible (there's a clue), but some are very good - I ran the yellow Polysport bushes from Rally Design for tens of thousands of miles and they were still as tight the day I removed the wishbones as when I installed them.

You can't go too far wrong with genuine Peugeot OE bushes though as they're fairly cheap and last well - avoid cheap pattern copies like the plague though!

allye

Bit of an over due update, finally some progress. Went up to Redditch last night to pick up some christmas presents for myself from Anthony!!

Almost didn't get there as when filling up my diesel it started pissing out all its diesel on the forcourt! RAC man said it might be breather and if I'm happy just don't brim it :) so I plodded on and did the 200miles fine.

Not sure why my camera is so crap, riding loooowww and slooowww

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/b...ng/IMGP5228.jpg

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/b...ng/IMGP5231.jpg

Anthony reset the millage on some GTI clocks for me - to the millage of the Rallye shell

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/b...ng/IMGP5232.jpg

Reagled manifold, done by miles

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu186/b...ng/IMGP5233.jpg

I also got from Anthony - 306 Battery box, lamda, oil pressure sensor, loom, unlocked ECU, gti brake servo and split speedo drive.

So the plan is to slowly take the engine apart, clean it, paint some bits, take off the power steering and air con, do the head, timing belt and water pump and some other bits.

The shell will be getting its paint in January.

All for now, Ali

Edited by jackherer
Massive pics

allye

Bit of an over due update, finally some progress. Went up to Redditch last night to pick up some christmas presents for myself from Anthony!!

Almost didn't get there as when filling up my diesel it started pissing out all its diesel on the forcourt! RAC man said it might be breather and if I'm happy just don't brim it so I plodded on and did the 200miles fine.

Not sure why my camera is so crap, riding loooowww and slooowww

IMGP5228.jpg

boot-1.jpg

Anthony reset the millage on some GTI clocks for me - to the millage of the Rallye shell

IMGP5232.jpg

Reagled manifold, done by miles

IMGP5233.jpg

I also got from Anthony - 306 Battery box, lamda, oil pressure sensor, loom, unlocked ECU, gti brake servo and split speedo drive.

So the plan is to slowly take the engine apart, clean it, paint some bits, take off the power steering and air con, do the head, timing belt and water pump and some other bits.

The shell will be getting its paint in January.

All for now, Ali

(FAO Mod, are those picture sizes any better? + could you delete the previous post? Thanks!)

Edited by allye

Tom Fenton

I had a 205D years ago that would do the same thing if I filled it to the top. I just used to fill it to 3/4- that would still get me 500 miles or something like that!

allye

Not much happening at the moment thanks to the crappy weather, just been getting on with some small jobs that I can do in the warmth of my shed!

The creamy colours slam panel had seen better days so I spend ages preparing that for paint and baked it off under a super hot exterior heater and it came up really well!

IMGP5238.jpg

I spent ages rubbing down my old servo as well only to get a bigger GTI one from Anthony and set about painting that one! :(

IMGP5240.jpg

And yesturday I got round to starting the prep on the arches which will be done in a mates body shop,

IMGP5241.jpg

Now the weather has broken I will be able to get on with the main paint prep on the engine bay, wings, doors and bonnet which will be done in Jan at some point. Also got my VTS box sorted, thanks tomcolinjones! :(

matty

hi, ive got a 205 gti6 rallye and live in lavington so like 4 miles away!. im logged in on my bro's user as i cant access mine for some reason.

looks like your doing a good job and will be ace with the gti6 engine in. if you need a hand anything give me a shout as only couple of miles away and had my rallye for 5 years now so got abit of experiance now haha! be good to meet somwhen too ;)

sorry for the spam but this is my rallye, 2139cc gti6 (sandy brown built) hope its of intrest

205and1062.jpg

Picture098.jpg

P1000746.jpg

bit of a build thread here too.

http://306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=125344&page=1

allye

Wow!!!! I never knew you were over here. Would love to have a look at yours, looks mental. Also I may have to take you up on the offer of some help at some point with all the plumbing in etc!

Do you know Ash in Devizes who used to have the yellow Rallye?

I'm driving a 5 dr grey 205 at the moment, I guess the Izuzu is your daily?

(ps like the electrical tape!!)

Edited by allye

matty

hi, yeah no problem, the car is currently down in cornwall being mapped so should be back early next year with around 230bhp which will be nice :lol:

yeah i know ash day, grew up with him (lived opposite) for like 15 years.

yes the isuzu is my daily. i work for TH White and its my company car which is ideal for when the car needs towing.

the pic was when the front end wasnt properly bolted together so the strip was just held up with tape. ive spent the last year rebuilding it from a bare shell respray had a brand new gti6 engine built and had a proper cage welded in rather than the 10 point omp i had previously amongst other things.

all the bare shell pics are on page 6 of the link above.

i rent a workshop over in stert if ever you need a place to work on the car (where the photos were taken)

Ash

Edited by matty

allye

F*ck me! Just gets wierder and closer, I work on my car at stert valley farm (get to it on the back road between urchfont and pottern) M&H autos if you know it? Its my mates garage.

I seem to remember a friend saying something about a guy in stert working on a 205 (you!), you prob know him he knows every one, Nigel or 'wiz'? He drives a black mitsubishi shogun.

I only met ash a few times and sometimes speak to him on FB (bet your friends with him on FB!?) from what I herd though his Rallye was bit of a shed! You know Ash Holt?

matty
F*ck me! Just gets wierder and closer, I work on my car at stert valley farm (get to it on the back road between urchfont and pottern) M&H autos if you know it? Its my mates garage.

I seem to remember a friend saying something about a guy in stert working on a 205 (you!), you prob know him he knows every one, Nigel or 'wiz'? He drives a black mitsubishi shogun.

I only met ash a few times and sometimes speak to him on FB (bet your friends with him on FB!?) from what I herd though his Rallye was bit of a shed! You know Ash Holt?

haha small world, yeah i know wiz. workshop is at edwards's farm (manor farm)

heard of M&H auto's although never been there.

Ash's old rallye, although it wasnt a shed it did need some love, inner wings rotten and paint was faded. could of been rescued though.

yeah i know ash holt picked couple of bits up off him last night actually.

ive seen you around a couple of times prob about 6 months ago in the rallye by nick planks farm lydeway. possibly seen it parked up there too? thought it mite of been sold but appears not :lol:

allye

This is a very small world, Nick is also a friend and I used to work for him so you may have seen it parked up there, I came back from living in Dorset for the summer (lifeguarding) in September and it went pretty much straight off the road. Let me know when its back from sandy and I would love to have a look (and listen :lol:) , theres not much to look at on mine at the min!

Its getting the front sprayed at Fiddington clay business park, race works I think its called its run by a family friend.

Edited by allye

matty

i live in fiddington clay! haha

Daviewonder

Interesting project mate, Makes me wish I had the money and space to get a Rallye :)

Will be following this thread from now on, will be good to see it once the engines in :)

allye
Interesting project mate, Makes me wish I had the money and space to get a Rallye :)

Will be following this thread from now on, will be good to see it once the engines in B)

Thanks, now christmas and all that rubbish is out the way there will be some real progress soon! Paint at some point this month - I really need to crack on with the prep though :) . In the next month I should be doing most of the work on the engine as well, including sprusing it up a little. ;)

(PS '8v the choice of champions' - Am I going to be a double champion then!?)

Edited by allye

Daviewonder
(PS '8v the choice of champions' - Am I going to be a double champion then!?)

Not yet :)

rallyejames

thats nice mate i just bought some of those arches of ebay not sure what i will used to put them on though as my rallye is yellow

allye

Last 2 weeks has been engine taking apart time. Stripped it down to block and bottom end and gave it a clean and degrease.

IMGP5256.jpg

I got some engine paint from the local factors, this photo was from the first time I painted it, the shed was too damp so it came up crap, so I took that coat of paint of and bought the engine home to snuggle up in my room for a few days to get nice and warm for a lick of paint :D (I live in a outbuilding type thing) carrying a complete GTI6 block and bottom end about 50m is not nice :(

IMGP5257.jpg

Image021.jpg

The finish was a lot nicer 2nd time round, this is what I used if anyone is interested.

IMGP5265.jpg

I then set about the inlet manifold and cam covers, as with the block its not all about looks for me it got as much to do with preservation and a long life engine! Spent quite a while cleaning them up, degreasing them and spraying. I wasn't happy with using normal rattle cans for a high temp part so I got some high temp paint, not cheap but hopefully it will last.

IMGP5259.jpg

IMGP5262.jpg

IMGP5260.jpg

IMGP5264.jpg

IMGP5261.jpg

I'm happy with how they came up just hope it doesn't flake off.

Edited by allye

allye

then turned my attention to the important parts! I have replaced the head gasket with one that retails at over £100 :D (Although I get it a lot cheaper at mates rates) cam belt, roller, tensioner, water pump + gasket and inlet gasket. I havn't skimpted on parts as I know that will be a false economy. The condition of the engine anthony sold to me was is very, very good and he said cam belt and water pump had been done 2k ago but I did it for peace of mind + the excercise of actually doing it. (I'm learning :( )

IMGP5271.jpg

Torquing up head bolts? theres only one tool to use.

IMGP5272.jpg

The most expensive tool I have ever used, over £500 worth. It also does angles and vibrates/beeps when you reach your desired angle/torque. Lovely bit of kit, shame its not mine :P

Any way, got it mostly back together and I'm very happy with hows it come together and looking.

IMGP5274.jpg

IMGP5275.jpg

IMGP5277.jpg

This needs to be done by mid May when I move back to Dorset for the summer so only the engine bay and the B pillar rust spots are getting sprayed. All for now.

Edited by allye

tomcolinjones

looking good ali, keep up the progress! wish i lived at home so i could get mine sorted.

allye

Cheers, I guess your at uni or something!? Progress will be fairly good now and can't wait to get it done! Although I am enjoying the build.

Anthony

Just one thing - I notice in the picture that you've timed it up by pinning the timing holes... did you double-check that the holes lined up before you removed the old belt, as GTi-6 crank pulleys have a habit of slipping which makes the lower pulley hole in the wrong place relative to the crank (with potentially disasterous consequences)

I *think* I remember the guy I bought the car off saying something about he'd replaced the bottom pulley at some point which should mean that it's A-OK and you've no worries.

Otherwise, it's looking good so far and you've done a good job cleaning and painting it all :)

tomcolinjones
Cheers, I guess your at uni or something!?

No... im a soldier with spanners.

allye
Just one thing - I notice in the picture that you've timed it up by pinning the timing holes... did you double-check that the holes lined up before you removed the old belt,

I did indeed, some kind person has also but in lots of timing marks and they all lined up before and now. Before I finally put it all together I will double check and get the mechanic (a good friend where I do the work) to triple check it :)

allye
No... im a soldier with spanners.

I still don't get it :huh: ! Are you a squaddy or something to do with spanners :):lol: