• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

wardy18

[race_prep] Guernsey Hillclimb 205 Build

welshpug

you really need to find what your torque is going to be like tbh!

wardy18

Ok will do, ill give Matt a call at QEP, that way i can chase up the engine build too ;))

petert
this did cross my mind, I will check for clearence when fitted!

I just want to ask the question, does using a spacer for extra capacity to gain reliability and lower surge risks outweigh the cost of the set up and risk of damage due to decreased ground clearence.

Asking all those who have this set up and so have the experience

Btw. To me is does from what I have read and been told

Yes, the spacer is 15mm thick, but as engine is tilted at 30 deg., it's only 15xcos30 deeper. ie 13mm

wardy18

Thanks Peter

I have just contacted Matt who recons we should be aiming for 200 - 215 lb/ft of Torque

In this case can i get away with a Helix 200mm paddle plate in a std cover on my 200mm Ally Flywheel

or

Should i go for a 215mm TTV Ally Flywheel with a 215mm GTi6 Helix Paddle Plate and Std Cover

Regards

Simon

DrSarty
I have just contacted Matt who recons we should be aiming for 200 - 215 lb/ft of Torque

:)

That'll be an achievement with a N/A 8v!

I have 196lbft from a 2.2L 16v.

Perhaps Matt's just building in a margin of error and future upgrades, such as a supercharger the size of the Death Star!

:o

wardy18

Anyone know the Torque figure in lb/ft for a standard 205 and standard GTi6 Clutch Covers?!

wardy18

Shall i get a new thread going in the Motorsport build section about the new hillclimb build?!

or start it in here?!

DrSarty

I think you should start making some decisions yourself Simon. :)

wardy18

UPDATE -

Engine is has now been an QEP since beginning of November, agreed completion date is now alomst 3 months overdue, QEP are closing down so Matt can persue a job at Catcams and im am left with end less excuses!!

APPARENTLY the block has been bored to 87mm successfully and all the big ends and mains are there so its at the stage of the crank needs to be machined, lightened and balanced and then everything built up then compression ratios checked and block decked if needed.

What do i do!!

If i could find a new engine builder down south then i would snap there hand off to finish it for me as im going to loose my mind very soon, i think i have been very patient so far. The crash bought Matt some time but i am now again ready with the new shell to drop the engine in and i have now had to miss another hillclimb becuase i am missing an engine!!

Any ideas?!

wardy18

I can't count how many times i have been told "I will go speak to nick now and call you right back" and not hear a thing back! I don't know if my engine build even exists anymore!

Being in Guernsey all I can do is call, If only I were in the mainland god only knows what would have happened by now!

Might have to write this build off and start again with

someone else, I keep on bein made a fool off like this!

Angry is not the word to describe my feelings!

wracing

keep at it mate, I had some issues with qep, after months of nagging I finally got my bits :)

welshpug

I thought Nick had moved on?

try speaking to miles about who he uses to build his engines, or Sandy Brown, mark shillaber etc, they'll all be pretty busy as they are good at what they do!

wardy18

Matt is moving on to a position at Catcams, no idea snout nick

Edited by wardy18

wracing

is that it with QEP then??

Sorry to hijack!!

Edited by wracing

wardy18

QEP as it is is closing!

No aftercare for my engine!

How do I know it'll even be built properly, the companies reputation is no longer an issue to be upheld, might just be thrown together to get it back to me and I am not experinced to recognise quality of work in lightening and balancing!

wardy18

I have spoken with Chris Toleman of Tolman Motorsport who said they can build me a 200bhp 205 1.9ltr ally block bored out to 2ltr.

He doesnt rate the 2.3 build i was doing purely because of the weight of the block and the massive crank would be up to 40kg heavier and i also may have trouble sorting out crank pulleys to ensure the ratio is kept between cam and crank (i just thought a XU9 crank cambelt pulley would have fitted on the 96mm crank myself)

If i tell QEP to stick it then i sh*t out on about £300 only and have to start again by sending my old ally block and head to Toleman!!

DrSarty
I have spoken with Chris Toleman of Tolman Motorsport who said they can build me a 200bhp 205 1.9ltr ally block bored out to 2ltr.

He doesnt rate the 2.3 build i was doing purely because of the weight of the block and the massive crank would be up to 40kg heavier and i also may have trouble sorting out crank pulleys to ensure the ratio is kept between cam and crank (i just thought a XU9 crank cambelt pulley would have fitted on the 96mm crank myself)

This just doesn't sound right. :)

'Massive crank'? '40kg'? 'Bored out - alloy block?'.

Something doesn't sound right. You and Chris do know the alloy block is a wet liner set-up don't you? There is no boring; it's just custom liners and perhaps machined seats.

All very odd.

I am sorry to hear about QEP though. I'd get your arse over there sharpish TBH and get your bits back.

wardy18

The massive crank and 40kg was referring to the 96mm diesel crank and the extra weight with the iron block over the ally unit!!

Thinking about it he did say yesterday that if i had good liners we'd save the money and keep it 1.9 but if they were worn then yes it would be just aswel buying a 2ltr liner set, i was a bit overwhelmed when speaking to him as he had just rubbished my whole 2.3ltr build so i need to speak to him again to get particulars!!

Just so dis-heartened to loose the 2.3 build.

I could always see how much it would be to bring my car over and pick up all the bits but is it really worth it, i dont know if he even has the pistons for it or if he is fobbing me off, so if he has do i really want to pay £550ish for them to maybe finish the build myself in the future and still have to shell out for a new engine ontop!!

Miles

Well have a look at the sticky (I think) post on the large bore Alloy engine's, It's not just a case of buying some 86mm liner's and sticking them in.

200bhp is nothing for a 1.9, 8v, That figure was good around 15 years but your looking at 230ish now from a good build which doesn;t have to cost the earth either, Have a word with Mass or a decent engine builder, Another one is Brett Simm's in New Milton

welshpug

Its not 40 kilos!

I think if you were that worried about weight you would not have had several kilo's of unnecessary filler added to your new shell tbh!

IMO I think you'd see far more gains from carrying on with a long stroke iron block build than to plough thousands into an alloy block based build which is still limited in capacity.

I think Sarty proved this quite well with his 2.2, a simple inlet cam upgrade, a standard Mi16 head with a well thought out combination of components in the bottom end with a sandy and colin finishing touches to the intake and management, I don't see a similarly specified alloy block getting near that, you'd need more revs and more cam.

incidentally, QEP did the machine work for Sarty's engine, 10k+ on and its still working fine, might have even more torque next week !

wardy18

Just spoken with Matt again, as always apologetic, he has 3 weeks left before closing but Nick is keeping part of the workshop so will probably end up finishing my engine, Matt has given me his new number so thats one good thing i suppose.

Ill give them a couple more weeks and then pull the plug

Having spent so much time and research into this engine i really would like to go forward with it, also i dont think i have the energy to start all over again!!

Having commited myself to 8v custom pistons with this build i think i would always stick with 8v and just move to TB's and management next year, for my application (just local hilcllimbs) i cant warrant the spending the cash for 16v, 8v does the job well enough.

• Like 1

wardy18

Well it looks like im going to be finishing the build myself unless Nick at QEP wants to take it on which i doubt will happen.

The block is bored, customs pistons and shell bearings ready, just need the crank machined and lightened and balanced!!

I think ill get everything shipped back to me and then get the crank shipped to a good machinist who can get it all sorted and send it back to me. Then just test fit everything, make any block amendments to fit crank in and then measure CR and possibly get the block decked if needed.

Can anyone recommend a good machinist to work on the crank, not to build the engine.

Ill call Mass to see what they say and i google'd Brett Simms but couldnt find anything?!

wardy18

Mass are happy to work on the crank and will have it done fairly quickly too.

Everything is being picked up from QEP nex wednesday and sent back to me, i will then send the crank away to Mass to do their magic, unless someone here can do it for, havent got any contact details for Mark Shillaber?! Everyone that has the experience seems too busy.

I will then build the engine up myself once the crank returns.

Cant beleive how let down i have been on this engine, the 1st build i have ever afforded to get done professionally and i end up having to finish the f*ing thing myself!!

Sandy

Mark's number is 01566 778779, but he is very busy too and likely to refer you to me.

wardy18

Oh right ok thanks Sandy, i know your too busy for a full build but any chance you can lend some hours on a crank in the next 2 weeks!?