• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pablo

[misc_work] My Turbo 205 2.0 8v

pablo

In a bid to replace my 182 clio track car with something a bit a) cheaper, :D cooler and c) a car I could love, I decided on a 205 gti. Classic car and one Ive always loved. Std power was never going to be sufficient as I like to track and wanted similar pace to the clio. Having had an Mi16 205 before that lasted 10 laps before sh!tting itself so decided to steer clear of those. Narrowed down to either a GTI6 or turbo converted car.

Quick one of the clio (buckets, roll cage and 190bhp):

2-1.jpg

After watching PH for a while this one came up which being Miami Blue was a real bonus.

011.jpg

014.jpg

019.jpg

016.jpg

Edited by PPP_Racing

pablo

Since I got it Ive been sorting a few niggles.

1. was blowing oil out the oil return pipe where it goes into the block. Have siliconed the pipe in place using a high performance oil resistant sealant (loctite 5910 iirc). Also cable tied it to hold it in place. Not verified this is working yet!

2. CV boot ripped on NS inner CV joint Fitted a Q-Drive shaft from ECP. Best I could get at short notice. All the needle pins fell out of the old one when I popped the boot off.

3. engine was moving a bit too much at the bottom end Fitted a GrpN lower mount. Seems a good bit better now.

4. boost only reaching 0.3 bar. Have fitted an electronic boost controller (Gizzmo) but there is a problem with the actuator setup which needs sorted before I can get the boost up.

Im sure there will be more!

pablo

Track wheels: Speedline Corse with R888s:

Loving the black on blue look!

e4d913de.jpg

oli-pug

Looks lovely that. Saw it up for sale on pistonheads, wasn't a bad price if I remember rightly.

Planning on doing many trackdays then?

pablo

I try to do one a month mate. about 6-7 a year.

was home at lunch there and took the car out a run. clamped the wastegate pipe (naughty) to give it some boost and she ran up to 1.2 bar.

was absolutely mental! Was wondering how fast it would be with a little boost and omg it was brutal quick. Kept it to a bar to avoid running lean and done about a mile. Enough to convince me to get the actuator sorted asap!

rubyna

Looks a nice motor mate, hope it gives you the grin factor your after...

Luke..

rapidcossie

i like the clio!

Oberon

Nice motor. Trying to think of a nice way of asking... but you do know there are 12 months in a year ? :blush:

Is that the motor commonly found in 406's etc ?

pablo

Lol they don't run over the winter and I usually miss a couple so 6-7 it is :blush:

Galifrey
I try to do one a month mate. about 6-7 a year.

was home at lunch there and took the car out a run. clamped the wastegate pipe (naughty) to give it some boost and she ran up to 1.2 bar.

was absolutely mental! Was wondering how fast it would be with a little boost and omg it was brutal quick. Kept it to a bar to avoid running lean and done about a mile. Enough to convince me to get the actuator sorted asap!

Doesn't the boost controller close the supply to the wastegate actuator and open it when you hit your required boost pressure?

Or am I missing something (wouldn't surprise me, wine and vodka and friday night :) )

pablo
Doesn't the boost controller close the supply to the wastegate actuator and open it when you hit your required boost pressure?

Or am I missing something (wouldn't surprise me, wine and vodka and friday night :) )

The Gizzmo seems to use a duty cycle approach where it chops the pressure to the actuator. I had a greddy before and I think it simply held any pressure until boost was reached then opened. Which would work perfectly for me.

pablo

Little update on the actuator issue. I removed the actuator today and freed up the seized arm end. Then retapped the end and rethreaded the arm so its all nice and loose. wound it back a few turns to make the arm shorter and refitted. Went too far when I shortened it as its boosting its t!ts off now. 1.3 bar I saw lol.

But at least I can easily adjust it again while on the car. Removing the actuator on its own is a damn fiddly job. Especially on the driveway.

Upshot is tho it can be sorted. which is all good.

Galifrey
The Gizzmo seems to use a duty cycle approach where it chops the pressure to the actuator. I had a greddy before and I think it simply held any pressure until boost was reached then opened. Which would work perfectly for me.

Yeah I used a Greddy Profec B spec2, it was very good

Would be perfect for your setup I think!

pablo

Update on the oil burning. Done a compression test again (properly this time. engine warm and TB open) and got 170-180psi across all 4 cylinders. So it seems the rings are ok which was my major worry.

3 of the 4 spark plugs were oily around the threads and all looked like the pic below (fortnight old).

I also checked the TB inlet for oil and while there was some trace it wasnt too bad at all.

Lastly there was a fair bit of mayo in the oil filler housing but hard to tell if its due to laying up or its new. I removed the housing and cleaned it up anyway. No sign of oil in the coolant and levels seemed grand.

pablo

more update on the oil burning, changed the valve stem oil seals and no difference. So turbo is off and returned to turbo technics as it was fully rebuilt in June09. Will see what the outcome is. 1hr to remove the turbo, not bad <_<

Pic of the lame manifold, I can see why folks say its the weak link

IMG_0659.jpg

Also decided to sort out the clearance with the servo. Have ordered a 1.1 servo from a breaker on ebay so hopefully it will help. Previous owners method leaves a little to be desired (and didnt work that well anyway)

IMG_0658.jpg

On the subject of clearance I also extended the bottom mount by 15mm and chopped the wing off the front of the sump. Stops it touching the rad now.

IMG_0645.jpg

Also removed the wing to see what state it was in back there. Actually not bad at all but the wing is a pattern one and had a lot of surface rust on the back. all cleaned up and sealed now.

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

And lastly a set of GTI-6 billies to go on along with avo -30mm front springs. The avo shocks/50ish springs are just too low/harsh at the moment.

IMG_0640.jpg

pablo

good bit of work done recently. smoking ultimately led to me returning the turbo to TurboTechnics as it was rebuilt in June. They diagnosed "oil contamination" and didnt cover under warranty. So I got it rebuilt with uprated seals, new shaft and 360deg bearing. In fairness they done it for a very reasonable price (£300) I just hope it lasts.

Anyway everything back together and gave it a good run. Had it up at the local RR for a quick check. Ran a healthy 186bhp @ 0.75 bar. Fuelling was 100% on the wideband :o

IMG_0677.jpg

taylorspug

The 'oil contamination' excuse, they seem to like that one at TT! Every turbo that goes back there for warranty work is seemingly struck by these amazing 'oil contamination' issues, even though alot of them have barely been on the car long enough to need an oil change...

grandos

Just a quick one but I have never seen (don't remember anyway) that strengthening bar behind the front wing before.

Is that suppose to be on all GTI's?

This is a phase 2 and mine's a phase 1 would that make a difference?

Sorry to post in your thread but I just have not seen that bar before.

Luca

That's riding on it's bump stops on the rear end mate. Hope you've got a good physio.

pablo
That's riding on it's bump stops on the rear end mate. Hope you've got a good physio.

now raised up Luca not a fan of the assdown look myself.

danpug

How does it compare acceleration-wise to the clio?

pablo

obviously more low end grunt but the clio just loved being up at 5-7k. Similar power though and Id say the 205 is the quicker car.

Main difference is Id never doubt the clio would get me to my destination lol.

rallysteve

Have you tried the smaller brake servo yet, did it help?

Ta Steve

pablo

hmmm kinda. the old one was bashed at the side which actually worked pretty well as it happens. Definately notice I need to press harder on the pedal.

Might cut the bashed bit off and weld it over. Get more volume and more clearance. Turbo pipe OUT of the turbo (one that points up) is so tight to the servo.

rallysteve

yeah i can see in the picture it looks quite tight, was the new servo from a base model, if so is it much smaller?

Ta Steve