• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Galifrey

[engine_work] Sleeper 1.6 Project

Galifrey

Ok, tracking sorted, rack centred, hose clip fixed and finally Fuel tank link pipe ordered from Peugeot.

New tyres feel good so far, huge grip increase over the previous ditchfinders!

Will run it down to miles for a thorough inspection once I have achieved my first 500 miles

:D

hman205

Went out in this over the weekend must say very impressed such a smooth engine you can just feel the power waiting to be unleashed can't wait to go in it once its all run in get the impression its going to be immense!!

Galifrey
Went out in this over the weekend must say very impressed such a smooth engine you can just feel the power waiting to be unleashed can't wait to go in it once its all run in get the impression its going to be immense!!

Thanks James you are right the engine sounds sweet.

:D

Galifrey

140 mile drive today, mostly A&B roads :)

The short M5 stint was a vibe fest at 3,800 rpm, need to stick some RTV down the lift collar on the gearstick for one

;)

Some weird noises from the back end, and sometimes when steering, will get Miles to take a look on its oil change visit.

swordfish210

Swing by my place if you're ever in Chippenham, i'd love to get a look at it :ph34r:

Galifrey
Swing by my place if you're ever in Chippenham, i'd love to get a look at it :ph34r:

What are we talking about there? :ph34r:

:ph34r:

swordfish210

*Sigh* :ph34r: The car obviously

EdCherry
Swing by my place if you're ever in Chippenham, i'd love to get a look at it :lol:

Or up to combe so I can get a gander too! Saw it mid surgery at Miles but barely ever see his work finished!

Galifrey
Or up to combe so I can get a gander too! Saw it mid surgery at Miles but barely ever see his work finished!

Probably be back at Miles soon, maybe next week for its interim inspection, running in will be finished friday PM

:lol:

Galifrey

250 mile round trip, and I think I have killed my CV joints...

By christ does it fly tho, undergeared and needs better FD ratio.

Baz
By christ does it fly tho, undergeared and needs better FD ratio.

Longer? :)

welshpug

its on a Xsara box is it not? perfect for that engine in a road car!

Baz

That's what i mean, a '6 on a VTS/Mi box is easily capable of 140+ isn't it? Surely you wouldn't need to go any longer!

welshpug

yeah, about 141 odd, the 6 box is 153 or 157!

Galifrey
yeah, about 141 odd, the 6 box is 153 or 157!

At 70 its doing 3.8k rpm which is vibe fest! and the speedo is under reading....

Maybe just change the 5th gear ratio and the rolling circumference!

:lol:

welshpug

naah, just sort the rattles!

or drive at 3.5 or 4k :lol:

Edited by welshpug

Galifrey
naah, just sort the rattles!

or drive at 3.5 or 4k :lol:

You are right, at 3.5k or 4k the resonance changes and is much happier, I was just concerned about having the engine at 4k almost constantly for a motorway drive, maybe I need a louder stereo :lol:

Anyway, I am 99.9% sure I have killed (a probably already failing) driveshaft on the offside, so deciding what to do now, go 1.9 setup, or get some new 1.6 shafts. Havent been ragging it or doing chavvy pull aways, it just seems to have gradually started knocking more on the journey.

Now when using low speed and left turning, the car seems to hop to the left like it has a square wheel B)

swordfish210
I was just concerned about having the engine at 4k almost constantly for a motorway drive,

Pfff, i drove my 205 on a 1300 mile roundtrip to Scotland and that thing does closer to 5000rpm at my motorway traveling speed :rolleyes:

Baz
You are right, at 3.5k or 4k the resonance changes and is much happier, I was just concerned about having the engine at 4k almost constantly for a motorway drive, maybe I need a louder stereo :blink:

Anyway, I am 99.9% sure I have killed (a probably already failing) driveshaft on the offside, so deciding what to do now, go 1.9 setup, or get some new 1.6 shafts. Havent been ragging it or doing chavvy pull aways, it just seems to have gradually started knocking more on the journey.

Now when using low speed and left turning, the car seems to hop to the left like it has a square wheel ;)

If the shafts were worn anyway, the diff will kill them off in no time.

Galifrey
If the shafts were worn anyway, the diff will kill them off in no time.

Thats what I think happened, extra stress of locking the diff would finish them

Galifrey

Are GKN the only option for Driveshafts these days?

Seem to be a lot of horror stories about them clunking after a few hundred miles?

DrSarty

GKN are the ones recommended to me. They've lasted better than any other brands I've tried, but that doesn't mean I've tried them all.

EdCherry

GKN did have a few problems recently but id happily by them over others!

Bear in mind these are still recon shafts and not new.

Galifrey
GKN did have a few problems recently but id happily by them over others!

Bear in mind these are still recon shafts and not new.

OK, so GKN shafts it is then... see how long they last :)

Galifrey

Going in for a new set of GKN shafts tomorrow (Thanks Miles for fitting me in at short notice).

Xsara Struts going on as well... Probably gonna take a look at the rear beam as well, although I am tempted with a 309 one now. :)